993 Forum 1995-1998

New Member - Hello & First Plug Service

Old 06-23-2016, 12:58 AM
Blacktop
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Member - Hello & First Plug Service

Greetings Fellow Rennlisters,

Long time lurker here, finally joined. I've owned Porsches since 2003. My first Porsche is a 1966 911, which I still own. I finally had the engine & transmission fully restored, which just returned after over 15 months & many dollars. In 2011 I decided I wanted another newer 911. However, after carefully considering an immaculate Carrera 3.2, and watching the 993 promotional piece with David E. Davis, I knew I had to have a narrow body 993. With its OBD-1 system, the 1995 model fit the bill for me. When I saw a bone-stock, completely unmolested 49K mile example, I knew this was the car I had to have. However, I wasn't crazy about the Guards Red paint; since, after all I already had a Polo Red 911. But this particular example's untouched condition, no accidents, original paint, and full ownership & service history sold it for me. I thought that if I didn't buy this particular car, it would be very difficult to find another one as original and as nice. Heck, it might even be years to find one in another color (love the grey metallic) in similar condition. Further, I was planning the rebuild of my '66 and I would potentially be without a Porsche to drive for almost 2 years. I wanted a 993 NOW, and this was the one.

My '66 is a sweetheart to drive and a joy to own. When I'm in this car I don't think about anything else other than the sound of the engine, the wind over the body and the sun reflecting off the long hood. I don't need to stop for food or anything (Ok, I've been known to stop in the middle of nowhere to get rid of the gallon of coffee I drank that morning). But having said that, I absolutely love my 993. I call them "the First and the Last" (apologies to Adolf Galland). Yeah, OK I know Seinfeld owns the actual first and last, but it's what I have.

I purchased my 993 in November 2011. It was a very warm, mild Fall, absolutely perfect for driving those roads in the Mid-Atlantic foothills and getting to know my car. I performed my first oil change in January 2012, and I have to say that was a difficult job for my first time under the car. The oil was in there at least 2 years, so it was filthy! The small filter was practically welded to the case! I'm so glad I changed it, and I've changed it again several times since - usually after the first drive in the Spring of each new year.

Fast forward to June 2016, and I'm finally getting around to changing plugs, caps, rotors, valve cover gaskets, and cleaning/painting some *very* nasty fender brackets. Here are some pics of the fleet, my first plug change, the rusty fender bracket, and finally "Rat Patrol", our feral Orange Tom (his name is really Sam Brown, but you can call him Tom):
Attached Images         
Old 06-23-2016, 03:27 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 121 Posts

Lovely introduction - thanks for writing it. Your kitty looks awfully content, and I find the pic of the set of stripped screw extractors to be somewhat ... Uh .... Foreshadowing the next update? :-)
Old 06-23-2016, 04:09 AM
911LeeN
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome -- nice intro! Passionate stories like yours are making me rethink trying to sell mine, or maybe I've already re-thought it, LOL!
Old 06-23-2016, 08:22 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 228 Posts

Nice intro. I consider a 993 oil change to be an "event". Been there, done that many many times and I've never rushed it. Or any of my 993 wrenching over the years.

BTW, I have the same Bosch sign in my shop.

Andreas
Old 06-23-2016, 08:24 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Great first post and welcome!

Yes, the rear bumper supports do tend to corrode if driven in nasty weather. Someone here had some made in stainless if I recall......

The first and last, I love it!

Enjoy.

Al

Old 06-23-2016, 11:16 AM
Aaron 993C2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice set of reds! Good luck with the wrenching
Old 06-23-2016, 11:41 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 269 Posts

Nice first post and intro! I love guards red.

BTW, where in MD are you?

Trending Topics

Old 06-24-2016, 01:04 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Haven't seen too many first posts = but that is a great one. Had a '68 912 way back when, and had a ****load of fun in it. Glad you came out of the closet!

Cheers~
Old 09-26-2016, 03:52 PM
Blacktop
Intermediate

Default Update on the service (60K)

Updating this thread. Thanks everyone for all of your well-wishes.

Well, the "plug and oil change" quickly became a 60K service and a brake job all on its own!

Here's the list:
  1. Oil & filter change; Mahle filters, Brad Penn 10W40
  2. Plugs - Bosch 5
  3. Caps - Beru, perfect fit
  4. Ignition Rotors (2) - Porsche - Bosch
  5. New air filter - Porsche - the clutch vent hose was spraying "hate" all over it, and the inside of my airbox.
  6. (Belts are fine, < 2 yrs / 3K miles old)
  7. Valve cover gaskets (exhaust side) - Victor Reinz
  8. Valve cover bolts - Porsche
  9. Shroud bolts - rusty and rounded by the dealership who reinstalled them!
  10. Exhaust system polishing (Ok, just the cans & tips, not the cat too) The parts came out OK, not perfect, but much better looking than before.
  11. Stainless hardware on the exhaust
  12. Fender brackets stripped, painted
  13. New rear brake rotors, pads, and those "spider" things. All original Porsche parts. Those were stuck to the pads and impossible to remove or reuse.
  14. New sensors, Porsche. The old ones fell apart on removal.
  15. 2 new rear tires, Hankooks
  16. Thin coat of Tectyl 506 brushed on the VC bolts and other hardware to keep the weather off and prevent surface rust
  17. Left off the bell housing vent hose - it was a PITA and roached anyway.
  18. Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning! Not wanting to use a pressure washer and easy does it on the underbody paint - getting that G*dd*mn muck off the fender wells was much harder and took way longer than I thought it would...!
  19. Oh - you know how I said my car was untouched?? Well, I replaced the original fuel filter. Unless you weren't the original owner of your car, I doubt many folks have done that. The car hadn't reached 60K, so it was left in there until now. 20 years for a fuel filter?!? Go figure!
  20. Day long detail, clay, polish and fine wax.
Some observations, in no particular order:
  • I finally bought the Hazet brake piston tool and it worked great! Perfect!
    And the pistons went back in very easily, with no resistance, in seconds. NO MORE C-Clamps for me! I felt a little embarrassed that I waited, like, 20 years before buying it. I recommend this tool for the Porsche.
  • That bell-housing vent hose is what was causing my air filter to get dirty prematurely. I just left it off, but I left the box snorkel on.
  • The engine shroud bolts were stuck solid on one side, so I had to use the Sears external fastener grabber tool to remove them. It worked, thank God. Those bolts were almost rounded before I touched them. The last plug change was in 2006 by a Porsche dealer. I couldn't believe the dealer re-installed rounded bolts. Shame on them.
  • I was inspired by Andreas' pics of his exhaust, so I took the cans, straps and tips to a metal place and they polished them for me. They look just OK, not fantastic. But it's nice to put shiny parts on the car. I used stainless for the hardware, so I hope it comes apart easily the next time.
So now, after all that, how does it drive? In a word, GREAT ! I couldn't believe how much quicker the car accelerates and how much smoother it feels. These little changes really make a difference - why I love the Porsches and the special 993!!! I'll find a nice location and take better pics of the car, but I'm waiting for the weather to clear for now.
Attached Images         
Old 09-26-2016, 04:05 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Is that your helper cat or just a car wash mitt?
Old 09-26-2016, 04:08 PM
simpsoap
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Great post! Good to see another rennlister getting their hands dirty. I always enjoyed wrenching on the 9!

Andy
Old 09-26-2016, 04:14 PM
Blacktop
Intermediate

Thanks guys.

pp000830, ha, yes, he helps on occasion. He keeps the garage free of rodents, so we let him stay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Member - Hello & First Plug Service