Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Suspension Advice Please (Not which springs & dampers to choose!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 02:48 AM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Advice Please (Not which springs & dampers to choose!)

Hi All

I am looking for some advice / recommendations on what to do. The story is that I bought a high mileage 993 (1995 tiptronic targa) in need of some tlc about 3 years ago whilst living in Dubai and slowly have been bringing it back to as good a condition as I can – I have other posts about some of the work done.

When I first bought the car I had a thorough check done and got a list of jobs that I needed to do from a reputable indie although I believe that some are more a recommendation than actually needing to be done. Lots were done including engine out, seals replaced, major service etc. however there was one list of jobs on the rear suspension that I did not do at the time as they seemed overkill and expensive.

A year and a half ago we moved to Singapore so I exported the car back to the UK where is has been in storage for a while. I may well be taking some time off from work and plan on returning to the UK and driving it down to the French Alps and staying there for a while whilst looking for my next employment and therefore will put some miles on the car!

What I am unsure about is whether I should do some or all of the jobs left to do and looking for some advice from those more knowledgeable than me. Below is the list of comments and the recommended parts although unfortunately without part numbers but with the price I was quoted (converted to USD from AED). Part of the issue is I cannot see the car to inspect it so any recommendations, advice or suggestions would be much appreciated, especially as the parts list seems to suggest replacing whole suspension parts rather than just bushes etc.

Comments

1. Replace gear box mounting, support mounting and bushes- Aged and cracked
2. Replace rear right axle boots inner and outer- Dust boots around the joint cracked and leaking lubricant
3. Replace rear end underneath cover- Damage
4. Replace rear suspension lower control arms, track rods, upper control arms and stabilizer bar bushes- Rubber bushes and dust boots cracked

Parts List (No labour)

Transmission Mounting x 1 242 USD
Bracket x 1 212 USD
Rubber Buffer x 2 21 USD
Repair Kit x 2 113 USD
Cover x 1 359 USD
Protective Plate x 1 784 USD
Wishbone x 2 561 USD
Control Arm x 2 561 USD
Control Arm x 2 646 USD
Wishbone x 2 1364 USD
Stabiliser Mounting x 2 511 USD
Stabiliser Mounting x 2 55 USD
Trim Cover x 1 166 USD
Speed Nut x 10 5.5 USD
Screw x 10 27 USD
Bonded Rubber Buffer x 2 43 USD
Old 05-31-2016, 09:19 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

No to protective plate, yes to basically everything else. Without seeing the car, you can't tell how bad the links are so you could likely hold off for now.

Parts prices seem high but I'm in the us and a diyer, so I search for the lowest prices online

Quick Reply: Suspension Advice Please (Not which springs & dampers to choose!)