993 Forum 1995-1998

Steering Rack Rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 10:14 PM
PeeVee
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Rack Rebuilt

After carefully following instructions from the 'net, I now have heavier steering - both ways - and the steering wheel won't self-centre. I know I didn't capture the original mesh with the pinion. It's maybe tooth out, but figured not critical. I had to adjust the steering column connection to compensate Everything tracks OK.
Could the tooth mismatch be the cause? I thought things would loosen up after a few hundred miles, but no difference.
Thanks
Peter
Old 05-30-2016, 09:45 AM
Nlu
Rennlist Member

What do you mean you were a tooth off on pinion mesh? Do you mean the rack bar was not centered relative to the steering wheel? If so, that shouldn't affect the effort to turn.

Two ideas I could think of...

1. Overtightened the yoke plug?
The yoke is the half-moon piece that presses on the back of the rack bar, to keep compression on the pinion mesh. the threaded "cap nut" adjusts the amount of compression force. If you over tightened it, result would be increased effort both ways.

2. Cut in the piston seal?
Since you state effort is heavy both ways, maybe you nicked the piston seal when installing the rack bar into the housing.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:10 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Sounds like alignment issue.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:11 AM
PeeVee
7th Gear

The piston was reinstalled at the same setting and the rack moved smoothly. But I did notice the input shaft was tight going in and the assembly was then tight to move. In any event it will have to be redone.
I was really wondering if changing the meshing by one tooth would be the cause. But I doubt it.
Thanks for your input.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:39 AM
Nlu
Rennlist Member

If your yoke plug (what I'm assuming you meant by piston) is too tight, you can loosen than plug by 1/4 turn increments without removing the rack from the car. See if that helps
Old 06-07-2016, 03:56 AM
alcanada
Instructor

I did mine years ago and had the same issue, a lot harder to turn much like the old power assisted steering in the older 911s. I think it was the replacement O rings were a lot tighter. So far so good, no leaks yet, but I don't drive it much anymore.

Quick Reply: Steering Rack Rebuilt