993 Forum 1995-1998

Looking for an upper console switch trim

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 05:28 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Looking for an upper console switch trim

Anyone have one laying around? Looking for one in excellent condition with clips in tact. My clips broke off which is why I'm looking to replace.

Console Switch Trim - Upper

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2016, 08:13 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I had some broken clips on my housing last fall, and after seeing how expensive the replacement housings were, I decided to try repairing mine with JB Weld epoxy. It worked great. I built it up where possible, and tried to use as much surface area as possible without conflicting with the switches being able to nest into place with their retainers. I even reinforced the unbroken parts with the epoxy to reduce the chance of them breaking.

I just realized you may have been referring to the clips that retain the housing in the console. Mine are broken, so as recommended by someone else on this forum, I stuck some pieces of velcro and managed to wedge them back in securely.

You may want to try to repair your housing a save some money.

While I was at it, I installed Tore's LEDs into the lighting boards, which provides a much brighter display above the switches.
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2016, 10:20 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I had some broken clips on my housing last fall, and after seeing how expensive the replacement housings were, I decided to try repairing mine with JB Weld epoxy. It worked great. I built it up where possible, and tried to use as much surface area as possible without conflicting with the switches being able to nest into place with their retainers. I even reinforced the unbroken parts with the epoxy to reduce the chance of them breaking.

I just realized you may have been referring to the clips that retain the housing in the console. Mine are broken, so as recommended by someone else on this forum, I stuck some pieces of velcro and managed to wedge them back in securely.

You may want to try to repair your housing a save some money.

While I was at it, I installed Tore's LEDs into the lighting boards, which provides a much brighter display above the switches.
Thanks. Yes, I'm taking about the clips that hold it in the console. Well, actually the thin plastic bar that holds the clips is what broke. What a poor design. Anyway, I'll give Velcro a shot. Not a bad idea! Thanks.

It is amazing how much that piece is from Porsche.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:32 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've tried JB Weld multiple times on this exact part and surprisingly it was terrible. It didn't bond with the plastic well, and could be peeled off in the end. However, I recently did a repair on the clips in question using ABS plastic cement (that I bought for my door pocket project (thanks BesideTheBox)), and it appears to work very well. I built up some layers, especially in the corners for reinforcement and it appears to have worked.

Yep, its expensive new from Porsche....I think around $190.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:12 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kjr914
$450 actually for the upper trim.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:23 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I used Velcro and it's been working well for,over a year.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:30 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Originally Posted by GBX
$450 actually for the upper trim.
Yikes! The lower is actually $125 on Pelican, but yep Pelican says the upper is $502.50. I've seen these type of prices change due to inventory....I swear the lower was $190 just a few weeks ago and was an Order from Germany part. I held off and today its $125 and in stock...score!
Old 05-30-2016, 11:08 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I replaced both upper and lowers about a year ago because the clip that held hazard switch in my uppers broke. I have a used lower console trim that will sell for $75 shipped.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:39 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
I've tried JB Weld multiple times on this exact part and surprisingly it was terrible. It didn't bond with the plastic well, and could be peeled off in the end. However, I recently did a repair on the clips in question using ABS plastic cement (that I bought for my door pocket project (thanks BesideTheBox)), and it appears to work very well. I built up some layers, especially in the corners for reinforcement and it appears to have worked.

Keith,
I believe there is a JB Weld epoxy plastic; however, I have have had great sucess with Loctite epoxy plastic. Just clean/rough up the pieces to be bonded or recreated and shaped. The stuff seems stronger and tougher than the parent ABS plastics, and can be filed, ground, and sanded. The stuff I used was like $6 bux at Home Depot.
Attached Images  

Last edited by nine9six; 05-31-2016 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:24 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Had the same issue on my upper trim as well.
Thankfully, all the pieces & parts were there, so I could scab on a big hunk of ABS plastic on each side to hold everything solidly in place.

GBX - I have some spare ABS pieces that I could send you. Let me know if you want me to send some out. IIRC, I glued on a rectangular piece, let it cure over night, and then trimmed the rectangular piece to match the profile of each leg. The ABS in the picture is .25". I would send you .120". That should be strong/thick enough and easier to work with.

Here is what mine looked like after scabbing on some ABS.

ABS scabbed onto both of the thin 'legs' that the upper trim clips are attached to.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:26 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BesideTheBox
Had the same issue on my upper trim as well.
Thankfully, all the pieces & parts were there, so I could scab on a big hunk of ABS plastic on each side to hold everything solidly in place.

GBX - I have some spare ABS pieces that I could send you. Let me know if you want me to send some out. IIRC, I glued on a rectangular piece, let it cure over night, and then trimmed the rectangular piece to match the profile of each leg. The ABS in the picture is .25". I would send you .120". That should be strong/thick enough and easier to work with.

Here is what mine looked like after scabbing on some ABS.

ABS scabbed onto both of the thin 'legs' that the upper trim clips are attached to.
That would be great! Do you still have my address from the door pocket pieces?

Also, what glue did you use to attached? Not sure what scabbing is. Thanks again!
Old 05-31-2016, 11:53 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I still have your address. Will send out a couple small pieces in the regular mail on Friday.
In this context, scab = glue.
Use medium black ABS cement for gluing ABS to ABS.
Carefully remove the metal clip from the plastic piece before gluing.
Use a Q-tip to apply the glue on both surfaces of each glue joint.
Squeeze the pieces together and let cure over night.

BTB
Originally Posted by GBX
That would be great! Do you still have my address from the door pocket pieces?

Also, what glue did you use to attached? Not sure what scabbing is. Thanks again!

Last edited by BesideTheBox; 05-31-2016 at 11:56 PM. Reason: additional tips
Old 06-01-2016, 10:29 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BesideTheBox
Yes, I still have your address. Will send out a couple small pieces in the regular mail on Friday.
In this context, scab = glue.
Use medium black ABS cement for gluing ABS to ABS.
Carefully remove the metal clip from the plastic piece before gluing.
Use a Q-tip to apply the glue on both surfaces of each glue joint.
Squeeze the pieces together and let cure over night.

BTB
Awesome!! Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:26 PM
Jwolf427
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give Parts Heaven a call.

Address: 23694 Bernhardt St, Hayward, CA 94545
Phone: (510) 782-0354
Hours: Open today · 8AM–5PM
Old 06-02-2016, 07:23 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jwolf427
Give Parts Heaven a call.
In my experience, I'd not bother with a used part. I did this originally and ended up with 2 broken parts with first time I removed the center console replacement part. Heck it arrived with slight cracks already forming.... If you can't rebuild yours (as advocated by BesideTheBox), spend your money on a new one.

Quick Reply: Looking for an upper console switch trim