Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Not usual 993 hood problem (+ heater)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 12:22 PM
Heidi993
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not usual 993 hood problem (+ heater)

Hi all, so am out and about now the weather is getting there.

I have an issue with the hood.
Last thing last year before the winter, the roof was getting harder and harder to close, and we had read on all the threads that so many people convert it to manual, which we did.
The problem i have now is that while taking it down is ok, putting it back up is still an issue.
I expected it just to drop into the locators, and the switch clamp it down.
I have to have someone stood by the passenger side pushing it (quite forcefully) forward so the switch gets pushed in and the lugs locate.
is there any kind of adjustment we can do, as it seems just not quite forward enough on one side, and I really want the top down on the few days we have.

Thanks

Plus the heater has stopped, but that's not as urgent
Old 05-29-2016, 11:39 AM
Heidi993
Intermediate

anyone have any ideas on this one???
Old 05-29-2016, 02:24 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

My idea was to do a google search on:

"difficulty manually putting cab top back up on porsche 993"

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...tuck-open.html
Old 05-29-2016, 02:25 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Oh, that hood!
Old 05-29-2016, 03:47 PM
Heidi993
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nine9six
My idea was to do a google search on:

"difficulty manually putting cab top back up on porsche 993"

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...tuck-open.html
Thanks for your help, but I have read all of those already, plus hundreds of other posts on the subject.
My problem is when I manually put the hood up, there are two locators that go into holes, and both have a button that needs to be pressed in.
The left hand side is just slightly short of pressing the button in, so I have now decided a method where I take my shoe off, pull the side of the hood forward and operate the switch in the centre console with my toe.
What I wanted to know was if there was any adjustment anywhere to give the hood a little more distance so it sat in the locators properly and I can lift the hood, and clamp It down with the button on the dash???
Old 05-29-2016, 04:21 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I've adjusted mine so many times. However, you have to be extremely careful. Too many changes and it'll be way out of whack and then you'll really have problems. With that said, if you take off the side cover above the rear seat, there's an adjustment bolt (not the bolt in the center of the circle, but the one at the end of the big arm) that adjusts the top front and back. This adjustment is a large bolt with a stop. If you back the bolt out, it will allow the top to move forward (or back, can't remember which right now) when latching. Just be careful and do this in small increments and test the top after each adjustment. Don't forget to lock the bolt back down with the locknut. Keep in mind, any adjustments to the top may require the windows to be readjusted to the new top position or you'll have more wind noise.

Last edited by ble2011; 05-29-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:58 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
Oh, that hood!
Shame on you, JD

You ought to really have some fun with the response!
Old 05-30-2016, 09:28 AM
Heidi993
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ble2011
I've adjusted mine so many times. However, you have to be extremely careful. Too many changes and it'll be way out of whack and then you'll really have problems. With that said, if you take off the side cover above the rear seat, there's an adjustment bolt (not the bolt in the center of the circle, but the one at the end of the big arm) that adjusts the top front and back. This adjustment is a large bolt with a stop. If you back the bolt out, it will allow the top to move forward (or back, can't remember which right now) when latching. Just be careful and do this in small increments and test the top after each adjustment. Don't forget to lock the bolt back down with the locknut. Keep in mind, any adjustments to the top may require the windows to be readjusted to the new top position or you'll have more wind noise.
Thanks BLE, that's just what I was hoping for,
not sure if the other post's were making fun in some private joke way, but your answer has (hopefully) solved what is spoiling the enjoyment of a cab
Old 05-30-2016, 11:08 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Heidi993
Thanks BLE, that's just what I was hoping for,
not sure if the other post's were making fun in some private joke way...
Well, a little. Given your avatar is driving on the, um...., wrong side of the road for us former Colonists, I think it maybe a translation issue. Our car's "hood" is on the front of the car (your "bonnet"). I believe you are talking about the "top", "cab(riolet) top", or "convertible top" here in the States.

Quick Reply: Not usual 993 hood problem (+ heater)