Sponsored by: DashLynx

Worried about a tear in the back liner interior

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 11:12 PM
nikd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worried about a tear in the back liner interior

I am looking at my first 993. There is a picture showing a fear in what looks to be the section by the rear window/windscreen.

The car is a 96 Carrera, with 106k miles on it. I have agreed to pay 40k if the ppi checks out.

I have not seen the car, but am going to get a PPI done. Is this something I should be worried about? Could this be a sign of more trouble than it seems? The seller has been a little unreliable so far, but it seems like a good deal.

I have attached a picture.

Thanks!
What could this be?<br/>
Old 04-30-2016, 11:46 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

purely cosmetic... unless the back glass has been out and there is a rust problem around the glass seat... what is that black thing to the right?? I cant seem to get my bearings.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:03 AM
nikd
Intermediate

I'm not sure what that is, but it seems to be looking out of the rear window.

Thanks, will get the guy doing the PPI to be extra diligent checking for any signs of rust back there.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:10 AM
nikd
Intermediate

Seems like it's something resting on the back there.

It's odd that I cannot see this in the sellers picture

Old 05-01-2016, 11:23 AM
nikd
Intermediate

So doing some research, seems to be a tear in the rear back wall lining. I'm more worried about rust, but it seems like that would come from the sound absorber below it potentially or where the windows and frame come together. Is this a known problem at all? Am I over thinking this?
Old 05-01-2016, 11:37 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe get a "Rennfax" prior to a PPI? Depending on location it's quick and free......
Old 05-01-2016, 12:04 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Doesn't seem to make sense as it is unclear as to where in the car the picture was taken.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:11 PM
nikd
Intermediate

It's the lining on the parcel shelf. The more I research the more I think it's an issue with the rear windscreen well possibly rusting and spreading down the frame into the rear seats.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:06 PM
pbaehr
AutoX

That is simply sun damage to the vinyl fabric on the rear shelf. Not from water intrusion or rust. Happened to my car. Just needs to be replaced with new vinyl. The orginal fabric can be difficult to get. After waiting for a few weeks, I just had mine replaced with a close match.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:27 PM
GC96
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI the visible rear parcel shelf is separate from the structure of the car and is removable. It is just a board of some sort covered in vinyl. Once you fold the rear seat down there are 4 screws that can be removed and then the shelf pulled forward. Take a look at the pictures in this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...cel-shelf.html, post 4 shows the actual structure of the car once this panel is removed. You can see two of the screws just above the folded seats in post 12.
If the picture you're concerned about is a rip in just the lining of the parcel shelf that doesn't necessarily indicate any issues with a leaking windscreen or rust back there.

GC
Old 05-01-2016, 10:54 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Without knowing the history or various locations of the vehicle (carfax/autocheck) it looks to have possibly been left in the elements to bake in the sun. Check for cracks in the dash or any other interior parts exposed to the sun.

The ppi should tell you what you want to know, just be sure the shop specializes in 993's, and not just air cooled cars...Is $40k the asking price? Sounds like a good price if all checks out, but you can negotiate from there if issues arise.

Quite honestly, I dont see rust being part of the equation, if predicated upon what is seen in the photos, but maybe Im missing something?

Quick Reply: Worried about a tear in the back liner interior