Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

A/C Not working. Blowing ambient temp air.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 08:42 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts
Default A/C Not working. Blowing ambient temp air.

My A/C stopped working over the winter at some stage. When exactly it was I just don't know.

The symptoms are.....

The two A/C buttons both engage the clutch on the compressor BUT the front fan on the car doesn't come on.

So.....first step is a fuse, a relay or the ballast. What's the easiest way to figure out which? On the fuse box diagram, which fuse/relay refers to that fan? Upon looking yesterday I saw one for the oil cooler but didn't see one specifically marked as A/C related.

If it turns out to be the ballast, I'll use the opportunity to replace the seal between the bumpercover and the bodywork as its shot on one side.

G
Old 03-14-2016, 11:51 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

G - check out http://www.bergvillfx.com/porschehvac1. It has information on verifying nearly every component in the HVAC system, including the ballast resistors.

Based on your description, the resistor that controls the condenser fan's low speed operation has likely failed. This is very common. I recommend Bruce7's DIY instructions.

Second, you should still have cold air at the vents, even with the condenser fan not working, especially when the car is moving and the engine above 2k RPMs. If not, and you are sure the compressor is working, then I'd start checking the other flaps and servos in the system. Tore's page has the details.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:09 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mpruden
G - check out http://www.bergvillfx.com/porschehvac1. It has information on verifying nearly every component in the HVAC system, including the ballast resistors.

Based on your description, the resistor that controls the condenser fan's low speed operation has likely failed. This is very common. I recommend Bruce7's DIY instructions.

Second, you should still have cold air at the vents, even with the condenser fan not working, especially when the car is moving and the engine above 2k RPMs. If not, and you are sure the compressor is working, then I'd start checking the other flaps and servos in the system. Tore's page has the details.
It's the A/C fan relay! I swapped the oil cooler one about a year ago. Good news methinks.

G
Old 03-15-2016, 11:26 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Replaced the relay and the front fan is back working at both speeds depending on which of the A?C buttons you have pressed. Still not that cold, I'll have them check the refrigerant when I'm having it serviced next week.

G
Old 03-15-2016, 12:02 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Check you freon level. Easy Walmart parking lot procedure to fill. Don't look too deeply for love until you have done this. If the system hold pressure for a couple of years I would not get too excited, just refill it in the spring.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:30 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Just be careful on the Walmart solution. These Systems have slightly different pressures than some.

Last edited by JPS; 03-18-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:56 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPS
Just be careful on the Walmart solution. These Systems have silencers different pressures than some.
Aye, when I read the phrase, 'Be care using x or you can do more damage than good' I start to think that I'll just pay a professional.

G

Quick Reply: A/C Not working. Blowing ambient temp air.