FS: TPC Supercharger Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 02:46 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by zechunique
Correct me if I'm wrong here gents (and I probably am) but there shouldn't be any whine with an SC kit because it doesn't have turbo chargers in the exhaust system. It uses DC power to run the fan/compressor (supercharger) not exhaust gas to run turbos.

???

My Audi S4 (supercharged 4) has no whine whatsoever. No flat-6 growl either, but no turbo whine.

A turbocharger is driven by exhaust gases.

A supercharger is belt driven.

Andreas
Old 04-28-2016, 03:08 PM
zechunique
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Andreas. That makes way more sense. Using DC power would be less efficient and would require a huge alternator I guess. Not sure where I got that impression in the past

Still, supercharger should not have the turbo whine sound and should have the full engine exhaust note...?
Old 04-28-2016, 03:56 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

you cannot go wrong with either. The torque is a lot of fun... (ask me how I know )
Old 04-28-2016, 04:27 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Not sure where I got that impression in the past

Still, supercharger should not have the turbo whine sound and should have the full engine exhaust note...?
You probably got the idea from the proliferation of "electric superchargers" commonly sold on e-bay. VTEC yo!

A supercharger will make a different sound, it all depends on its design. Now, if you're running something like a 10-71, then you'll definitely hear a whine (and probably a lot of other noises, e.g. the screaming of your passengers). Just do a YouTube search for sound clips.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:49 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken D
You probably got the idea from the proliferation of "electric superchargers" commonly sold on e-bay. VTEC yo!

A supercharger will make a different sound, it all depends on its design. Now, if you're running something like a 10-71, then you'll definitely hear a whine (and probably a lot of other noises, e.g. the screaming of your passengers). Just do a YouTube search for sound clips.

Good points. Would like to hear from more of those who have installed these superchargers. This one is considered a "newer version" with lower miles.

But there's so many variations of how to setup these SC's, that it hard to decipher which works and for how much additional cost to install and modify it. This one comes with a DME, but for a 964 tiptronic, which I don't think would work with a 993 manual very easily.

I've got some good mechanics I could work with, but would like to know more about what setup works best. I ideally would like to know how much power I could "reliably" gain without the additional cost and headache of an intercooler.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:00 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Eaton supercharger whine is not that much. Doubt it if you can hear it over a modified exhaust. And I am 100% sure you will forget about it as you feel the torque delivered.

For a street car, the TPC SC is awesome.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:57 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Again, I'd like to reiterate some of my concerns ... like what the estimate of cost for install of a system like this? What additional cost is involved (in parts or labor)? Can this work with a flashed stock DME or do I need to get this on a dyno to make this feasible? What are my limits of working with a non-intercooler-type setup?

I know it is best to talk to TPC about their particular unit to know a lot of this info. But I also know how companies can try and talk you into a project when the time and modifications to make this setup work correctly can be a bit excessive.

I also chatted really briefly with a Porsche mechanic friend of mine and he's saying that these systems can be nuisance on OBD 2 cars. What's the scoop on this? Is there any truth to his comments?
Old 04-28-2016, 07:36 PM
axl911
Drifting

I would say at least 20 hrs to install the basic system. 10-15 more if you install the intercooler. You dont need any additional parts, but it is a good idea to give the car a tune up with new plug, ingnition, etc.

There is no flashing of the dme. The uniq unit is spliced between several wires at the dme harness. This adjusts the electrical signal from several sensors coming to the car dme to accomodate the supercharger.

Additional cost would come from additional tuning of the system or you add extra stuff. Tuning would be dyno tuning to extract more power of if your car need more timing retard or fuel. Extra stuff would be gauges such as AFR and or extra sensors to monitor temp. Extra may also include water injection, etc.

The uniq can be flashed by TPC based on your car and system config. I think it come with stock standard config of the basic sc system.

If you are in a hot weather area I would get the intercooler.

No info on whether it is problematic with obd2. Or rather I havent heard of any.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:49 PM
axl911
Drifting

There is a difference and it is a big one between the 993 and 964. The 993 uses maf? while the 964 uses an air flow flap to measure incoming air. Not sure if the tpc system measure this. Because there is a HUGE diff between the two in how they work.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:36 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
The Eaton supercharger whine is not that much. Doubt it if you can hear it over a modified exhaust. And I am 100% sure you will forget about it as you feel the torque delivered.

For a street car, the TPC SC is awesome.

Define "not that much"...

All relative indeed. To me, it's too much:

Performance might outweigh the supercharger whine but I prefer the unmolested sound of a 3.6 NA.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:12 PM
axl911
Drifting

Mine was barely noticeable. But it's out of the car now so I can't really compare.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:15 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks, Andreas. That makes way more sense. Using DC power would be less efficient and would require a huge alternator I guess. Not sure where I got that impression in the past

Turbos whistle. Superchargers whine. It's a different noise.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:38 PM
axl911
Drifting

Originally Posted by axl911
I would say at least 20 hrs to install the basic system. 10-15 more if you install the intercooler. You dont need any additional parts, but it is a good idea to give the car a tune up with new plug, ingnition, etc.

There is no flashing of the dme. The uniq unit is spliced between several wires at the dme harness. This adjusts the electrical signal from several sensors coming to the car dme to accomodate the supercharger.

Additional cost would come from additional tuning of the system or you add extra stuff. Tuning would be dyno tuning to extract more power of if your car need more timing retard or fuel. Extra stuff would be gauges such as AFR and or extra sensors to monitor temp. Extra may also include water injection, etc.

The uniq can be flashed by TPC based on your car and system config. I think it come with stock standard config of the basic sc system.

If you are in a hot weather area I would get the intercooler.

No info on whether it is problematic with obd2. Or rather I havent heard of any.
I take it back. On post 95, you need an intake elbow from the 95.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:59 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I was going to jump on this deal, but I can't really be sure that if I have it install I won't need something else, or my car will be in the shop for a lot longer time. Is it reliable to get a used system? There's several places selling the tpc brand new for $7500
Old 08-03-2019, 08:35 PM
Torquemonster
Rennlist Member

Default Why do you want to remove your supercharger?

Originally Posted by kyle951
I have the TPC Racing Supercharger with Intercooler setup on my car and I am wanting to put it back to stock. Can you tell me what parts are needed in terms of the Intake manifold to put my car back to stock?

Thanks
Kyle
Hello Kyle,

Why do you want to remove the supercharger and put it back to stock?

thanks,
maier

Quick Reply: FS: TPC Supercharger Kit