993 Forum 1995-1998

Steering wheel recovering

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 01:28 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinC2S
I haven't yet but I've been meaning to. Have you been?
Went to a BMW club DE there last May, great little course, max speeds were about 160-170 with much shorter straights than Race City (before it closed) where I would be doing 240kph into turn 1. However, some very interesting technical corners, like turn 6 where the "obvious" line takes you off-camber midway through the corner and then all hell breaks loose... Took me much of the first day to figure out a good way through that one and the instructor said I was a quick study.

Reckon it would take a while to get bored there. The drawback is the 3 hour trip each way from Calgary, so I haven't done Track Junkies yet. Pathetic that Calgary's racetrack is gone, when the city refused to renew the lease so they could turn it into a landfill. On a summer saturday, waiting at the light to exit my neighborhood, the cross-traffic is like this: ferrari, porsche, lambo, lambo, porsche, porsche, toyota, lotus, wrx sti, ferrari, vw, bentley, lambo, porsche... Guess our testosterone-saturated young men will just have to do their racing on the streets since there's nowhere else to go.

Apologies for thread hijack. I don't get out much these days...

Last edited by bcameron59; 01-09-2016 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:24 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Unfortunately neither of those link seem to be working, ebay one is expired and rennlist link says "the requested page was not found"

Edit: thanks for fixing links!
Unfortunately the eBay link appears to have gone dead. There were some great photos there of the vinyl cover including a shot from behind depicting all of the plastic retaining tabs.

Have a look at this thread from pstraub with some great photos at post 26, and a great explanation of the removal process from 600RR at post #40. I'm getting the itch to do this, but need to find another wheel. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...r-crest-3.html

Photo courtesy of patraub, all rights reserved
Old 01-09-2016, 03:40 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Great info in the link, thanks for that! A few weeks ago I searched quite a bit for how to remove the airbox cover and came up empty
Old 01-09-2016, 09:37 AM
cfxgj
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would they recover airbags too? Are airbags a pain to recover? I have the plastic/leatherette airbag cover and thinking that a full leather airbag cover with double stitching and silver crest would be a nice addition to my parts bin.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:13 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by cfxgj
Would they recover airbags too? Are airbags a pain to recover? I have the plastic/leatherette airbag cover and thinking that a full leather airbag cover with double stitching and silver crest would be a nice addition to my parts bin.
yes, they recover airbags, although i elected not to.
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
yes, they recover airbags, although i elected not to.
Hangin' with spambots!
Old 01-09-2016, 02:24 PM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW I have had carsdream recover a few of my steering wheel. They do a great job but I haven't used them for carbon work or airbag recovering.

Carbon- whilst their work looks good the carbon weave it's not at all factory looking and if I wanted a non factory look I'd just get a carbon raid wheel.

Airbag - they certainly do the best work that I've seen but you can tell that they are not original. I'm not convinced I'd be happy with something I see everyday that didn't look perfect. That being said its almost impossible to find leather airbags these days so maybe Carsdream is the best option.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:24 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

FYI, Carsdream will be charging 50 Euro for airbag recovery in smooth leather or 75 Euro if any indents that need to be made in leather (like words or recession for the shield).
Old 01-09-2016, 05:21 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For anyone on the fence, the SW and airbag removal is VERY easy. Removing the airbag cover is the easiest part. The crest is easy to remove and replace with anew one. While it is true that SW crests are not available, the 356 hood badge is identical in size, although the connecting post is a bit higher (which means drilling a small hole in the airbag cover). I installed new crests and secured them with "nuts" of the type used on the 993 hood crest.

These are Carsdream I have had done:

First 3 are all leather with red strip and deviated stitching. 4th is oversize CF with red strip in my TT that I am in the process o0f replacing with a similar one with smaller circumference.. 5th is CF with no strip at top. 6th is an OEM for comparison. I believe that everyone who has used them is pleased with the results.

If anyone is interested I have several OEM all leather (including airbag) SWs from Gert (Carnewal, the 6th example above) that I have replaced. Will sell for about one-half the cost. The ones I have include Tip versions for anyone wanting to add SW-head unit controls (I can control volume and scan with the two controls).

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlist.com-vbulletin/1340x2000/80-fsa_6bcd85fae620df5a75fd61f8bfe96d6e8887bb08.jpg[/IMG}

Old 01-09-2016, 08:18 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I removed the airbag covers today. You need:

10mm socket
flat head screwdriver
Thick pieces of card stock. Postcard thickness or a piece of paper folded several times.

1. remove 4 X 10mm nuts.
2. remove the puck and underside cover cover.
3. use the flat head screw to pop the tabs on each side. Use the folded paper to keep the airbag cover and the airbag separated. I did not use it so it would pop back in sometimes.

Took about 5 minutes for both. Sore the parts and wait for the SW to come back for reassembly.
Attached Images    
Old 01-10-2016, 02:51 AM
waizone
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

600rr, wheels look good. On first one w deviated stitching do you recall what color stitching that is and what red leather stripe at noon. See attached from their site.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:14 AM
GT917
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74

10mm socket
flat head screwdriver
Thick pieces of card stock. Postcard thickness or a piece of paper folded several times.

1. remove 4 X 10mm nuts.
3. use the flat head screw to pop the tabs on each side. Use the folded paper to keep the airbag cover and the airbag separated. I did not use it so it would pop back in sometimes.

Took about 5 minutes for both. Sore the parts and wait for the SW to come back for reassembly.
Very good explanation. Any difference for a 4 spoke SW ?
Old 01-10-2016, 11:19 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by GT917
Very good explanation. Any difference for a 4 spoke SW ?
I would have to look at a picture of the backside of the 4 spoke. Process is probably the same with an extra side.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:55 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74

10mm socket
flat head screwdriver

1. remove 4 X 10mm nuts.

Wow great job! took a bit of courage. worthy of its own thread. theres a lot of threads asking this question but ive never seen photos and a breakdown. good work!
Old 01-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
Wow great job! took a bit of courage. worthy of its own thread. theres a lot of threads asking this question but ive never seen photos and a breakdown. good work!
+993. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and process Chao. Thanks also to pstraub, 600RR and others who have helped explain the process of removing the airbag cover.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel recovering