993 Forum 1995-1998

Leak down/Compression results :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 01:05 AM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Leak down/Compression results :(

So I had planned to reseal my engine this winter when it gets taken out of the car. Car is a 1995 C2 July 94 build date. Car runs smooth and strong it just leaks a lot of oil. Today a fellow RL member and myself did a leak down and compression test just to be sure the engine is healthy before wasting money on resealing it if it will need to be refreshed again later. Here are the results:

Cylinder 1:
Compression 170psi, 165psi, 175psi
Leak down 1%

Cylinder 2:
Compression 170psi, 170psi, 165psi
Leak down 6%

Cylinder 3:
Compression 160psi, 155psi, 160psi
Leak down 8%

Cylinder 4:
Compression 140psi, 140psi, 140psi
Leak down 52% (double checked this twice, air could clearly be heard leaking from the exhaust)

Cylinder 5:
Compression 175psi, 170psi, 165psi
Leak down 6%

Cylinder 6:
Compression 160psi, 165psi, 160psi
Leak down 4%

This was quite unexpected to say the least. The car feels so good and responsive. The car has 120k miles on it with no previous rebuild history. Even after sitting for a week there is no smoke on startup or acceleration and no clacking of hydraulic lifters. At this point is my only option to have the top end done? Is it safe to drive? Is it carbon deposits or a burned valve on cylinder 4?
Old 12-17-2015, 02:05 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Before heading for a top end rebuild, worth getting a "second opinion". Have a pro do it and see if he gets the same results. You double checked twice, but you never know...
Old 12-17-2015, 02:20 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gt3'er
Before heading for a top end rebuild, worth getting a "second opinion". Have a pro do it and see if he gets the same results. You double checked twice, but you never know...
I agree. I will be following this thread closely, since this car/driver are local to me.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:22 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Also, when you bought the car (not that long ago), what were the PPI results at that time?
Old 12-17-2015, 02:34 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From the low leakdown and compression, it seemed you have a bent valve?

Or it could be a stuck piece of carbon on the valve. Put the car back together, go for a really hard drive. Test again. Maybe it dislodge the carbon.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:58 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Funny, the compression looks a bit low but not as out of whack as the leak-down. Sometimes it's easy to get two wrong reading when repeating a test because when repeating you naturally make the same mistake .. :-).

What did the sparkplug look like? As suggested before, start and run the engine and try again just in case something is lodging in the valve given you removed the spark plug, it has happened before.

Did you rotate the engine from TDC and work your way through all firing order when testing? Was the compression test done separately from the leak down? I assume you removed all the plugs and then ran the tests? You double check using the distributor rotor to make sure you are TDC on the compression stroke when doing the leakdown?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-17-2015, 10:54 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Was the engine cold or warm when you did the testing?

Andreas
Old 12-17-2015, 11:27 AM
sand_man
Drifting

I chatted with him last night and asked many of the same questions.

-The spark plugs "all looked clean, with no oil or fuel on them"
-And the test was done on a warm engine: compression first, then leak down using the lower spark plug holes.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:30 AM
sand_man
Drifting

I also mentioned that I once had some inconsistent leak down numbers on my 930, which had been updated to twin-plug ignition. Discovered that a few upper spark plugs were not tight and this caused the poor readings.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Was the engine cold or warm when you did the testing?

Andreas
Hmmm .... given a 52% leak down, i doubt if this is a contributing factor. I would believe a few percentage points though.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:26 PM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike J
Funny, the compression looks a bit low but not as out of whack as the leak-down. Sometimes it's easy to get two wrong reading when repeating a test because when repeating you naturally make the same mistake .. :-).

What did the sparkplug look like? As suggested before, start and run the engine and try again just in case something is lodging in the valve given you removed the spark plug, it has happened before.

Did you rotate the engine from TDC and work your way through all firing order when testing? Was the compression test done separately from the leak down? I assume you removed all the plugs and then ran the tests? You double check using the distributor rotor to make sure you are TDC on the compression stroke when doing the leakdown?

Cheers,

Mike
We did the compression test first when the engine was warm, then directly went to doing the leak down. All the plugs were out of the car and they all looked fine with no oil or fuel on them. We rotated the engine with the distributor cap off at first to find TDC but after finding it on cylinder 1 we used the notches on the crank pulley to locate TDC and went through the firing order 1,6,2,4,3,5.

I think driving the car and then retesting is a good idea, that was our first guess that carbon buildup was causing the valve to not seat properly. Is it still safe to drive? Car runs great...
Old 12-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Originally Posted by sand_man
Also, when you bought the car (not that long ago), what were the PPI results at that time?
The shop that did the PPI said it didn't need a compression or leak down because it felt strong. Guess I shoulda done one anyway. :/
Old 12-17-2015, 01:47 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlbarnett
We did the compression test first when the engine was warm, then directly went to doing the leak down. All the plugs were out of the car and they all looked fine with no oil or fuel on them. We rotated the engine with the distributor cap off at first to find TDC but after finding it on cylinder 1 we used the notches on the crank pulley to locate TDC and went through the firing order 1,6,2,4,3,5.

I think driving the car and then retesting is a good idea, that was our first guess that carbon buildup was causing the valve to not seat properly. Is it still safe to drive? Car runs great...
If the car is still up on the lift and half taken apart, you can drop the header/heat exchanger on that side and examine the exhaust valve.

Maybe get a plastic tool or brush and go around the valve/head to see if there is any carbon.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:04 PM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Originally Posted by axl911
If the car is still up on the lift and half taken apart, you can drop the header/heat exchanger on that side and examine the exhaust valve.

Maybe get a plastic tool or brush and go around the valve/head to see if there is any carbon.
We put the car back together last night, and I drove it home 30 miles with no issues. I bought some liquimoly valve cleaner so maybe I can run some of that through the gas and recheck
Old 12-17-2015, 10:07 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Contemplating internal engine repair in absence of any operating issues is a very suspect need.
If you look for love in the wrong places someone is
Can always be found who will be delighted to help you at considerable cost.

Quick Reply: Leak down/Compression results :(