993 battery went completely dead. Is the battery plug and play

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 04:31 PM
blau
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 battery went completely dead. Is the battery plug and play

hay guys/gals

this weekend I discover my battery was completely dead show zero volts at first when under a charger for 3 days went up to 3 volts.

I don't know when it went completely dead. I been putting it on the charge every months. But have not been starting it and have not been checking the voltage for a long time now. So don't really know when the battery gone bad.

So my questions if I replace the battery is this a plug and play thing. The 993 was left completely unlock so no problem getting in and I have the radio code.

Anyone have a problem with the 993 battery went completely dead.

Last edited by blau; 12-02-2015 at 04:32 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-02-2015, 04:52 PM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you mean, "Is the battery a standard size?", then yes it is. You can buy the correct sized battery with the terminals on the correct sides from many manufacturers. I cant tell you the exact size but you can search for it here on Rennlist, its been discussed multiple times.

Replace the battery and drive the car for a bit. The ECU will recalibrate and the car might run funny until the system has been driven for a while. Also leaving the car unlocked will kill the battery quicker than if you locked it up. More systems are put on standby when the alarm is activated.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:11 PM
blau
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneyman
If you mean, "Is the battery a standard size?", then yes it is. You can buy the correct sized battery with the terminals on the correct sides from many manufacturers. I cant tell you the exact size but you can search for it here on Rennlist, its been discussed multiple times.

Replace the battery and drive the car for a bit. The ECU will recalibrate and the car might run funny until the system has been driven for a while. Also leaving the car unlocked will kill the battery quicker than if you locked it up. More systems are put on standby when the alarm is activated.

When I mean plug and play. I was worry about the 993 since the battery is completely dead that things will not work, right. Like the the car will not start, window will not open, other electronics not working.

by the way. Car door close but unluck, alarm not on right.

thanks

But if it is like recalburating the ECU and doing my personal settings I am not worry about.

thanks
Old 12-02-2015, 05:12 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

yes - unlike the newest BMWs & such, there's no need to 'code' a new battery.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just connect up the new battery, code your radio and off you go.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:12 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

If the car stalls soon after you replace the battery, don't worry about it. It's just the computer relearning how to keep the correct idle speed. There is some adaptation the car will automatically do.

Also, you lost your readiness flags when the battery died.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:25 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

If this was a "maintenance-free" battery, in all probability, it simply went dry. So-called "maintenance-free" batteries are not. Some have two covers that pry off, revealing the cells. Others have six caps that unscrew with a Philips Head or slotted screwdriver. These batteries should be checked at least once a year. If the electrolyte goes below the plates, sulfating occurs and the battery goes bad. Remember, use only distilled water to fill.

Quick Reply: 993 battery went completely dead. Is the battery plug and play