Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Why it's tough to keep the 993 in NYC.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 07:58 PM
jnoble79
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why it's tough to keep the 993 in NYC.

It is becoming more and more difficult to rationalize keeping the 993 in the city. While I may move to the burbs in 3-4 years, and hopefully get a 2-3 car garage, it's a tough pill to swallow when the parking bill arrives each month ( to be fair, I pay about 60% of this listed rate).

Reality is, I'm in love with the car. And that's that.

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this.....

Old 11-25-2015, 08:18 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i could dock a 40' boat, a half mile from the ocean, at one of the busiest inlets on the east coast, for an entire season for that money (annually). and it comes with water, cable TV, power, floats, tie downs, a full bar and restaurant.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:06 PM
TTKan
Pro

You must really, really love that car!!!��
Old 11-25-2015, 09:06 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Just saw this one

Hence I live across the river and still parking is one the biggest car expenses.
I refused moving to burbs and dealing with commute.

current set up
Old 11-25-2015, 09:09 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

my lift

Old 11-25-2015, 09:15 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

jnoble,
Assuming you don't use it as a daily driver, keep it in one of the outer boroughs near a subway stop.
Not such a big deal.
The only way I'd pay that would be if the garage were self park and in my building only an elevator ride away.
How do you get 40% off?

emb,
City owned west side low amenities marina in Manhattan is $120/ft for the 6 month season and $105/ft for the other 6 months, so around $9000 for a 40 ft boat. One of my wife's friends kept a boat at full service Chelsea Piers for a season, I think it was around $200/ft for the season. Crazy prices for people crazy enough to live in Manhattan.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:17 PM
SINY993er
Rennlist Member

I would try the NYC Pier Parking off the West Side highway...pretty decent deals. I park mine outside of Manhattan.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:28 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

Outrageous reality for the Big Apple. i am a realtor here in Scottsdale, AZ - I await your retirement phone calls..
Old 11-26-2015, 10:15 AM
jnoble79
Rennlist Member

Im content, albeit with a bit of regret at parking cost and inability to just take out for a nice drive on a nice road without driving 1h away.

Originally Posted by bobbyp
jnoble,
Assuming you don't use it as a daily driver, keep it in one of the outer boroughs near a subway stop.
Not such a big deal.
The only way I'd pay that would be if the garage were self park and in my building only an elevator ride away.
How do you get 40% off?
In NYC garages are required to post monthly parking rates. I have found, in the various garages that i have used, that these rates are highly negotiable. Lowest I have found anywhere I would consider parking the car, is $385, with most running closer to $450-500 if you want to self park and take an isolated spot. Funny enough, this holds true where I live in Brooklyn Heights as well. Guess I could go further out on the subway for better prices, but i figure the $200/month i could save would be offset by less security, more angst, and travel time to/from the satellite parking.

Could always do the alternate side street parking (kidding!) but this guy is not kidding, and I kinda love the fact that he does this (though I would never consider it).

I stalk relatives/friends for available garage bays for winter hibernation. ie: this one in CT:

Old 11-26-2015, 10:26 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Originally Posted by bobbyp
j
emb,
City owned west side low amenities marina in Manhattan is $120/ft for the 6 month season and $105/ft for the other 6 months, so around $9000 for a 40 ft boat. One of my wife's friends kept a boat at full service Chelsea Piers for a season, I think it was around $200/ft for the season. Crazy prices for people crazy enough to live in Manhattan.
yeah same as it is here in Manasquan. or about the same as the annual OPs parking rate, its a labor of love! might be best not to track this sort of info

or we could just all park our cars with NYC993...
Old 11-26-2015, 10:49 AM
jskylarwilson
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jnoble79
/ Could always do the alternate side street parking (kidding!) but this guy is not kidding, and I kinda love the fact that he does this (though I would never consider it).
It pains me to see a 993 in that bad condition. Dented rear, bad paint.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:30 AM
993KHTO
Racer

Default 993 NYC Parking

I used to do the same as you for about 5 years. At some point you have to really take note of how often you actually drive your 993 between Thanksgiving and April or Memorial Day in NYC. I know there was a year or 2 that I couldn't drive my 993 due to snow starting around October 1st. Is it really worth it to you to drive your car once a month in the winter in NYC? And if you can't drive it, then do you feel guilty that you don't start it up once a month in NYC? I know I sure did.
Maybe you have had the experience of something slightly more then a "door ding" when retrieving your car from your monthly spot? An extra $50/$100 bill per month (depending on your garage location) to the main guy running the garage solves that problem and gets you almost any spot you want. But that is a slippery slope...
Once I finally took the step to give my car to a P repair place outside of NYC for indoor storage starting around October/November (weather dependent) and picking up March/April--it reduced a lot of stress for me. The cost of winter storage outside NYC is significantly less then NYC parking and the difference that you save is money you put toward your annual service that gets performed before you pick it up in March/April.
I've attached a pick of rates at my garage. Now I know there are cheaper spots in NYC, but convenience costs $$:
Monthly base rate for your 993 = $844.77 (kind of odd, how did they arrive at this amount?) Oh, but note the next line--you have a luxury car--for an additional $422.39 (again, kind of odd...) and then you add 18.375% tax for an EXACT grand total of $1,500.00 per month (Now I get it---Sort of.) And don't forget that extra C note cash to the manager so you don't get dings...
Happy Thanksgiving!
Attached Images   
Old 11-26-2015, 02:07 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

I keep my Porsches outside of Manhattan. One is right across the GWB in NJ and I can work on it there, the other two are in Westchester. The family wagon is the only vehicle that stays in Manhattan. Rates in the City are ridiculous, but you gotta pay to play...
Old 11-26-2015, 08:00 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Why it's tough to keep the 993 in NYC.

Originally Posted by ilko
I keep my Porsches outside of Manhattan. One is right across the GWB in NJ and I can work on it there, the other two are in Westchester. The family wagon is the only vehicle that stays in Manhattan. Rates in the City are ridiculous, but you gotta pay to play...
Is the NJ garage a business or a private facility? I am looking for a place to park in that area.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:59 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I fee your pain as Boston isn't much better. I just bought a new condo because of parking issues. Still own my space in my old neighborhood.

I agree with everyone else, park it outside of the city for the winter. I found secured heated storage for mine for 150/m about 45min outside of downtown Boston. I'm all too happy to give my jeep the garage once the snow starts falling.

Quick Reply: Why it's tough to keep the 993 in NYC.