993 Forum 1995-1998

Andy's 993 Servicing List Updated - New Sections

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 03:13 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by boman993
+1 and to the newbies that praise this document ~ PLEASE take it with a grain of salt. This is not a tech document written by a tech. OP posted a suggestion to take your 993 to a Walmart Oil Lube centre for an oil change a while back... WTF?! I think that speaks volumes to the validity of the content and how OP takes care of his car. I WOULD NEVER take advice from this document!

Real Tech sources include: Porsche 993 Essential Companion by Adrian Streather, the Factory Manual (can be found online), P-car.com/diy and the countless of tech treads and DIYs posted by respected 993 Gurus (MikeJ, ChrisWalrod, lorenfb, Steve Weiner, bruce7, race911, etc, etc)

Newbs, use this with great caution!

Boman brings up a good point. Let's not forget that this a largely unmoderated Internet forum, where we all speak with an equal voice. It's impossible to separate the signal from the noise here, much less arrive at a consensus view of truth when it comes to technical decisions on these cars.

It took me about a year to figure this out (I'm slow), but think of RL as a brainstorming tool that generates lots of new ideas, debates (but does not evaluate) them, and presents them to the reader.

I give Andy the thumbs up for coming up with ideas, many of them I think are absolutely crazy, but new ideas nonetheless.

Be careful out there, kids.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:46 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Yes, the very first sentence in the document qualfies me, the OP as not being an automotive technician. Even though I do not believe I mention oil changes at Wall-Mart in the doc, I have done this with all three Porsche autos I have owned by bringing my own oil and filter and guiding the technician through the process. I guess mixing the concept of Wall-Mart and a Porsche 993 is just plain too incendiary folks.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:58 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
I guess mixing the concept of Wall-Mart and a Porsche 993 is just plain too incendiary folks.
Purchasing one's oil there: fine.

Taking one's 993 there for any sort of service: not fine.

Andreas
Old 11-25-2015, 07:25 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

random thoughts...

- the document, while nice and organized, i wouldn't put any more stock into than talking shop at C&C.

- its prob against store / insurance policy to allow customers anywhere near the work area, i know in NJ theyd prob tell you to beat it if you asked to join them in the shop

- aside from not being allowed in there, i could only imagine some owner standing next to an $8/hr worker, telling them what to do, looking like an gigantic douche. this guy just changed the oil on Mary Jane's Civic 15 minutes ago, what could possibly go wrong?

- taking your p-car to be worked on at a place that sells snow shovels and underwear borders on gross negligence.

and back to the point... these threads should be contained into one thread about the "48th revision" of the same silly document.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:40 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Couple notes from reading parts of this extensive document.

What's the secret with this 80k mile mark?
Replace plug wires at 60k but don't bother with plugs till 80K wtf?
and 30k for ISV? My ISV was cleaned in 80k for the first time, and I wish we didn't do it. It took a week of driving to get idling back to normal. It wasn't even that dirty. And in mine the internals would not rotate freely when clean. It fact we could not move it.
Why clean MAF at 60k if there are no issues?
CEL is not caused just by SAI like your file implies and even that description is only half accurate.
"Testing has shown installing a single mass flywheel can accelerate wear on engine/drive line components due to increased torsional impact loads to the engine and transmission." - what tests?
Stalling with LWFW is only applicable to 95 cars.
The noise is minimal in AWD cars and only when the tranny oil is warm.
Solution to honking horn is 85 dollar new plate and 30min DIY. But it may not exist for 95 cars so care must be taken to make sure the part is compatible.
I removed the seats probably 5-6 times and this tool is very handy for that as well as for valve cover gasket bolts and plug wire screws.
Chapman MFG #4320 Allen Hex Set American Made Screwdriver and Mini Ratchet Bit Set - Screwdrivers - Amazon.com Chapman MFG #4320 Allen Hex Set American Made Screwdriver and Mini Ratchet Bit Set - Screwdrivers - Amazon.com

urethane clear-coat for calipers? Are you kidding? What's the melting point for that? Because hi-temp engine clear coat melts on calipers on track.
For belt replacement there is a 5 dollar start socket instead of expensive Porsche tool.
I would also recommend not having pictures in the middle of the text, makes it very hard to read.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:15 PM
serval
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
random thoughts...

- the document, while nice and organized, i wouldn't put any more stock into than talking shop at C&C.

- its prob against store / insurance policy to allow customers anywhere near the work area, i know in NJ theyd prob tell you to beat it if you asked to join them in the shop

- aside from not being allowed in there, i could only imagine some owner standing next to an $8/hr worker, telling them what to do, looking like an gigantic douche. this guy just changed the oil on Mary Jane's Civic 15 minutes ago, what could possibly go wrong?

- taking your p-car to be worked on at a place that sells snow shovels and underwear borders on gross negligence.

and back to the point... these threads should be contained into one thread about the "48th revision" of the same silly document.
Assuming it is my post you are referencing, you're making a lot of assumptions there just to prove a non-existent point.

First of all I was not in the working area , but in the "watch" area behind the barrier. The lift was 6 feet away, so I was not under or near it. Other than providing torque specs, oil filters, oil, and pointing out where the overflow tank was, I did not tell anybody what to do. Believe it or not taking a couple of filters out can be handled even by someone that just changed Mary Jane's Civic oil, although in my experience the guy at the Porsche dealership felt it was a challenge. The guy at Walmart was pumped to work on the Porsche even if that meant removing two drain plugs. Who do you think did the oil change at the dealership? The head mechanic?

Second, careful with the language. Like most of us on this forum, I have no issues with pointed arguments and the odd irony or sarcasm, but "gigantic douche"???, not acceptable even as an innuendo. I suggest you rethink that one.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:18 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cute

You of all people. "With the lift"... I would assume you have at least a basic level of mechanical skill, yet bring a 993 to Walmart for a $38 oil change. Seriously dude.

"My lift was occupied" lol good one!
Old 11-26-2015, 03:33 PM
serval
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
cute

You of all people. "With the lift"... I would assume you have at least a basic level of mechanical skill, yet bring a 993 to Walmart for a $38 oil change. Seriously dude.

"My lift was occupied" lol good one!
A gentleman would've first made a casual self deprecating stab at some semblance of an apology; that would've been appreciated. You chose to double down. To each his own I guess. And yes, my lift was occupied. I have a number of cars and I work on all of them myself and it would've been too much trouble to swap cars on the lift. A friend wanted to test my 993 to compare to one he was looking to buy, so there was a bit of a rush. Mechanically, I do not know everything, but I don't mind learning. And it did not cost $38, it was $25.00 Had my own oil and filters.

See, how I did now owe you an explanation, yet still gave you one? Maybe because I think civility is as important as encyclopedic 993 knowledge on thus forum.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:33 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Thank you all for your comments. I especially appreciate the comments about my statements concerning service or replacement intervals where my statements based on my experience may significantly diverge from others' experience. I went through the document and altered entries qualifying my statements as opnion based on personal experience.
Thank you all,
Andy

Quick Reply: Andy's 993 Servicing List Updated - New Sections