993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Steering Rack Repair Document

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 01:48 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 993 Steering Rack Repair Document

I came across this (apparently) official ZF document for ZF Rack and Pinion Power Steering Gear Repair.

My 993 steering rack has ZF part number 7832 955 169 and Porsche part number 993 347 011 00.
This document covers the repair of this steering rack.

Link to the ZF document: ZF Rack and Pinion Power Steering Gear Repair

The document is a good supplement to the previously published KLA DIY documents and
Rennlist member bcaway's 993 steering rack DIY rebuild tutorial.

For steering rack removal and reinstall, see
Rennlist member pp000830's Steering Rack Replacement Notes.

To give you an idea of the level of detail in this ZF document, here is an
exploded parts diagram from this document:

ZF Rack and Pinion Power Steering Gear Type 7832 Exploded Drawing

Last edited by BesideTheBox; 10-25-2015 at 02:00 PM. Reason: add link
Old 10-24-2015, 01:57 PM
Nlu
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting this, just in-time as I'm about to rebuild a rack to replace mine!

I've been looking at the instructions provided by KLA: http://www.klaindustries.net/technic...rack-instr.htm

I've already rebuilt two BMW ZF steering racks. Between that, and the two documents for Porsche, I should be good to go!
Old 10-25-2015, 08:42 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Most of the effort is in getting the rack out and putting it back in. One can have their rack rebuilt for %
$300 +/- and if not done correctly one will be doing the entire removal and reinstall. Rennlist is littered with failed DIY rebuilds. I for one would just send it out for rebuild. If you do this do not swap out your core, note your serial number and wait the two weeks. In this way you do not end up with a rackade from a salvage core likely a weld repaired rack with a substantially shorter service life.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:14 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good points pp000830. Rack R&R and Rack rebuild aren't simple DIY procedures.
In the first post, I've added a link to your rack replacement notes.
One should only DIY either of these procedures if this is something that you want to do.
There are plenty of places that can trip anyone up.

For me, the great thing about rebuilding it myself is that I now know and understand the condition of the internal parts.

Originally Posted by pp000830
Most of the effort is in getting the rack out and putting it back in. One can have their rack rebuilt for %
$300 +/- and if not done correctly one will be doing the entire removal and reinstall. Rennlist is littered with failed DIY rebuilds. I for one would just send it out for rebuild. If you do this do not swap out your core, note your serial number and wait the two weeks. In this way you do not end up with a rackade from a salvage core likely a weld repaired rack with a substantially shorter service life.

Quick Reply: 993 Steering Rack Repair Document