Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Finally Joined the Club! Thanks Six Gun!

Old 10-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Potterphd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Joined the Club! Thanks Six Gun!

Thanks to user Six Gun and this thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...late-gray.html), I just drove my new to me 1995 911 home this weekend.

I have been looking for another 911 after selling my 1988 about a year ago. While I enjoyed the 3.2, I was looking for something a bit more refined. I considered and looked at several 997.2s, but never could shake the desire to have a 993. Like many others, I've spent more time than I'd care to admit scouring classified sites and without much luck. One afternoon I happened to be looking at the 993 Forum and saw the above. The ad was over a week old by the time I saw it, so I figured I had little shot at the car. Still, I gave a call and talked to a very nice, straightforward seller. He told me the car was sold, and someone was to wire him funds the next day. He also said the selling process had been very UNenjoyable do the the large number of flipper/dealer/broker calls he had received.

After we got of the phone, me stinging from missing out on the car, I decided to send a text, saying that if the sale didn't go through I'd be willing to fly to his home (far northern Michigan), do a deal face to face, and drive the car home. I heard no response for a couple days, but then early one morning received a text saying the sale had not gone through and if I were interested it was available to me. He sent incredibly detailed pictures and descriptions, and I booked a ticket almost immediately.

Long story only slightly shorter, the seller had far UNDERsold the condition of the car. With a few minor exceptions, it could have just rolled off of the showroom floor. I believe the paintwork is very minimal (if any other than a front bumper and one quarterpanel) and other than a well worn driver's seat the interior is like new.

After a couple great meals and a lovely night in the Perry Hotel, I drove through Michigan's famous "tunnel of trees", across the Mackinaw Bridge and across the upper Peninsula. After a couple days in Chicago, I then drove to my home in OKC.

The only bit of discomfort I have is how to appropriately use a 23,000 mile 993. While it will be driven sparingly, I didn't buy the damn thing to JUST look at so I will be putting some miles on the clock. Right now, my plan is to never drive it when I cannot fully enjoy it.

Once again thanks so Six Gun for the heads up. Not sure where you live, but would love to buy you a beer sometime. Also, thanks to all that contribute here. I've learned much from you already, and look forward to learning much more.

A few pictures...

Old 10-05-2015, 06:57 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 269 Posts

Congrats on your new 993. Nice color combo
Old 10-05-2015, 07:03 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Congratulations and welcome to the slippery slope. A beautiful example, and great color! Drive it like you stole it!
Old 10-05-2015, 07:04 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations and welcome! My C2S had only 17k on it when I found it 4 years ago and sad to say is just now approaching 19k. Been that busy with family and work. But this year I finally have some "me time" and am driving it every nice day I can. So don't hold back, get over the "investment" mentality (I used it to justify me not driving it much, but my real reason was how busy I was). For the first few years I collected a few upgrades that finally just went on the car a few weeks ago: M033 Springs / Koni FSD, Fister 2 in black w/ OEM Wide Ovals also in black, BBS RS-GT in diamond black with 225/295 Sumis, and a Carnewal front protection bar.

Enjoy!
Old 10-05-2015, 07:05 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome - and great pics of a terrific 993 and color combo..!

John D.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:26 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome and enjoy your new ride. That's a nice looking 993.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:28 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome!
Old 10-05-2015, 07:32 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Slate gray and black combo. Excellent choice!
Old 10-05-2015, 08:50 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

Well how SWEET is that! One of the better and RARE colors for a 993!
Smart move, now enjoy!
Old 10-05-2015, 08:57 PM
Potterphd
Intermediate

Thanks for the well wishes all!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:00 PM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Such a great color!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:36 PM
tougu
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice looking car - congrats!

Sorry for the random question, but what stereo head unit is that? Any chance you could post a closer pic? In the middle of a stereo project...

Thanks,
Old 10-05-2015, 09:51 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Looks fantastic. Even the leather on the steering wheel looks in good shape.

Apologies in advance - I was mentally modifying your car. 18" wheels w/ spacers, wide oval exhaust tips, clear turn signals, 3 spoke steering wheel, leather w alum shift ****....

Ok, I'll stop
Old 10-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Potterphd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tougu
Very nice looking car - congrats!

Sorry for the random question, but what stereo head unit is that? Any chance you could post a closer pic? In the middle of a stereo project...

Thanks,
Sure thing. It is a Blaupunkt Toronto 420. Here's an Amazon link.
Amazon.com: Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT World AM/FM/MW/RDS CD Receiver with iPod/iPhone Direct Control and Built-in Bluetooth: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT World AM/FM/MW/RDS CD Receiver with iPod/iPhone Direct Control and Built-in Bluetooth: Car Electronics

Interestingly it is the same head unit I put in my 3.2. I've had good luck with it and think it matches the interior nicely. That said, the display is very dim and hard to see on sunny days. Also, the buttons are pretty...I guess shallow is the right word...and hard to grab. There is a little remote control that I use most of the time.

It does have Bluetooth, front and rear USB ports and an aux input.

Here are a couple more pics...

Old 10-05-2015, 10:12 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 360 Posts

Beautiful car! I remember seeing it listed for sale. Congrats!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally Joined the Club! Thanks Six Gun!