Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Lost of power, burning smoke from tail pipe.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 02:05 PM
vsouvann
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost of power, burning smoke from tail pipe.

I know that I had too much oil in my baby. It's been sitting around with the battery disconnected for more than two months. I figure that it need some more oil because it has been leaking a bit. I added about 2 quarts and started he up. Took her out around the block and she stalled. I started her up and again and smoke just filled the neighborhood. I manage to get back home. Before all this happend, it was idling really rough. Should I go ahead and replace the idle air regulator, caps, rotors, and plugs? Anything else should I attend to while my babe is up on a jack and all the top hoses are taken off? Help!!!! Feel free to comment and call me stupid. This is my first thread and I m a brand new member here.

Last edited by vsouvann; 10-04-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:37 PM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow....you may simply have way too much oil in her. Hopefully not way, way too much! Personally I'd drain the oil out of her and do an oil change while you're at it. Start with ten quarts and check out Steve Weiners post on oil level in these cars.Good luck
Old 10-04-2015, 04:02 PM
vsouvann
Instructor

Could any other parts be ruined by having way too much oil? Should go ahead and replace the Idle Air regulator? I just checked it. I was able to play with the rotating part with my finger. Definite I will do the plugs and caps. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:48 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

You way overfilled your oil. Remove two quarts, drive it until the smoke stops, and then get the oil to the halfway mark on your OIL LEVEL gauge (with the car on a level surface and the engine running).

Andreas
Old 10-04-2015, 08:19 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

If you want to know for certain, measure out a large container with half-quart markings up to about 12 quarts. Empty out all the oil into this container and see how much oil you really had in there.

I'd do this before purchasing any parts.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Drisump
Racer

Like KNS says, it doesn't seem that anyone really knows how much of an overfill you have, for that reason personally, I'd dump the entire contents and start from square one. There are a couple of opinions about how much stock one should put in to the dash level gauge. Mine seems to be a about a quart out of whack namely, when the gauge reads level (between the high and low on level ground, at idle, fully warmed engine) it is on the high mark on the dipstick. The high mark on the dipstick is too high, the car will burn more oil, you should treat mid stick as the high point in these engines as per Steve Weiner. From what I'm reading you don't really know how accurate the your gauge is so the dipstick is king.Cheers
Old 10-04-2015, 10:00 PM
bjornebo
Instructor

Definite I will do the plugs and caps. Thanks for your input.
There may be reasons why you have to change rotors and caps, but this isn't one of them. As the others have said, correct the oil level issue first.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:03 PM
vsouvann
Instructor

I just drained out the oil. Hopefully, it's completely empty now. I have also taken off the heat shield from the bottom. I am going to give her new plugs, top and bottom. The bottom plugs on the driver side were hard to get. I had to remove the muffler.

After I put new plugs, should I add some oil to see if it leaks anywhere? Could the leak just came from over filled oil that leaked from the intake system and dripped to the bottom of the car?
BTW, my 993 only has 38,000miles on it. I'm the third own. The car was from Hawaii.

I will try to put her back together in a couple of weeks and see if the idle problem is resolved. If not, I can always get a new one. I am checking all the vacuum lines and replace what's needed.

Let me know if there's anything I should look at while I have her on a jack stand? Thank you for all your comments. I don't feel like I'm going through this alone anymore.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:05 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by vsouvann
Could any other parts be ruined by having way too much oil?
Yes. If it is overfilled sufficiently, it can get to the point where the motor hydrolocks and major components are severely damanged.

Regarding adding two quarts cause it had been "leaking a bit", ummm, two quarts leaking onto your garage floor would have looked like a friggin' BP disaster.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:14 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Drisump
Start with ten quarts and check out Steve Weiners post on oil level in these cars.Good luck
Start with 8 and add more when car is fully warmed up. 8.5-9 quarts get it to my desired oil level.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:04 PM
vsouvann
Instructor

What kind of spark plugs are recommended? Beru's or Bosch's ? Other brands?
Old 10-04-2015, 11:07 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Battery Disconnected = Running Problem

Originally Posted by vsouvann
First Issue:
It's been sitting around with the battery disconnected for more than two months. Took her out around the block and she stalled
Before all this happend, it was idling really rough.

First - You are Not Stupid - This is what the Car doies when the Battery Is Disconnected. Welcome to the 993 Learning Curve.
I suggest u buy a Battery Maintainer - Trickle Charger.

The car will run really Rough -- Barely idle when it comes to its first stop after re-installing the battery.
Be Ready to Push in the Clutch - may have to feather the Gas to keep it running.

Preferably drive it somewhere, if possible, with no stop signs or lights - or be ready to push the clutch in before u come to a stop.

Run her around the neighbourhood or out for a 15 minute ride and she should remember your old habits and soon she will be running as she always has.
No Worries.

second issue:
I know that I had too much oil in my baby.SO WHAT. Comes with ==== Remember She likely has 10 quarts in her +++ Relax.

I figure that it need some more oil because it has been leaking a bit. I added about 2 quarts and started he up. Took her out around the block and she stalled. I started her up and again and smoke just filled the neighborhood. I manage to get back home.

Before all this happend, it was idling really rough. Should I go ahead and replace the idle air regulator, caps, rotors, and plugs? Anything else should I attend to while my babe is up on a jack and all the top hoses are taken off? Help!!!! Feel free to comment and call me stupid. This is my first tread and I m a brand new member here.

First Issue:
It's been sitting around with the battery disconnected for more than two months. Took her out around the block and she stalled

First - You are Not Stupid - This is what this Car does when the Battery Is Disconnected. Welcome to the 993 Learning Curve.

SECOND - 2) Get the excess oil out and

ThIRD: DRIVE THE CAR
The car will run really Rough -- Barely idle- after re-installing (Fully Charged?) battery.

She will want to Stall - When it comes to its first stop.
Be Ready to Push in the Clutch - may have to feather the Gas to keep it running.

Preferably drive it somewhere, if possible, with no stop signs or lights - or be ready to push the clutch in before u come too a stop.

Run her around the neighbourhood or out for a 15 minute ride and she should remember your old habits and soon she will be running as she always has.
No Worries.

FOURTH: before replacing any Parts -FOLLOW 3) take her for a drive. Smile. Relax

Remember - Have your clutch foot ready (under 1800 rpm)

NOW IF U ALREADY HAVE PULLED PLUGS - vERIFY THEY R WET - OTHERWISE DRIVE THE CAR

Update us on how u and your baby are doing after your drive
TJ

Last edited by TJ993; 10-04-2015 at 11:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-04-2015, 11:15 PM
vsouvann
Instructor

Originally Posted by TJ993
First Issue:

First - You are Not Stupid - This is what the Car doies when the Battery Is Disconnected. Welcome to the 993 Learning Curve.

The car will run really Rough -- Barely idle when it comes to its first stop.
Be Ready to Push in the Clutch
may have to feather the Gas to keep it running.
Preferably drive it somewhere, if possible, with no stop signs or lights - or be ready to push the clutch in before u come too a stop.

Run her around the neighbourhood or out for a 15 minute ride and she should remember your old haboits and soon she will be running as she always has. No Worries.

Second:

Follow recomendation above FIRST before replacing anything,
2) Get the excess oil out and
3) take her for a drive. Smile. Relax

Remember - Have your clutch foot ready (under 1800 rpm)

Update us on how u and your baby are doing after your drive
TJ
Thanks for the advice. I will report back as soon as I am able to take her out for a spin again.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:16 PM
vsouvann
Instructor

Originally Posted by NYC993
Start with 8 and add more when car is fully warmed up. 8.5-9 quarts get it to my desired oil level.
Thank you.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:12 AM
Drisump
Racer

Originally Posted by NYC993
You're right, eight is probably a good place to start, I usually end up with 9 to 10 on both the 993 and 3.2. Mid stick is the target though.

Quick Reply: Lost of power, burning smoke from tail pipe.