Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Installing The Continental TR7412UB-OR Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 12:38 PM
jansan946
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Bluetooth for listening to music from my phone and if I ever needed to charge I'd use the lighter port.
I agree with Chris M. I double-checked, and the Conti radio's USB will not charge my iPhone or play music through the USB. As ToreB wrote, the USB is for use with a playback memory stick formatted in FAT16/FAT32. I also use the lighter port for charging my phone and Bluetooth for streaming and playback.

BTW, it seems to have been difficult for some to find a USB lighter adapter for the Porsche socket that fits well. Griffin Technologies manufactures a dual-port USB adapter that fits perfectly. If you Google search, there are a number of discount vendors; however there are inferior counterfeits being sold. I bought mine from Best Buy. Here's a link to the Griffith factory order website: https://griffintechnology.com/us/pro...niversal-micro

Finally, I have had no experience with the Kienzle unit.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:58 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

One issue that I have found so far is when using a 16gb usb stick and setting to random play it isn't really very random. Sticks on same album/artist for a long time.
I need to dig up a smaller usb stick to see if it has the same issue. I believe the specs on the radio say 8gb max.

Another issue I have found is that my (non-hi-fi) smaller door speakers aren't working. Could be that I never noticed with the old radio though. I don't listen to music all that often so I'll get to that issue when I get to it :-)

Overall it looks "right" and the bluetooth for Waze is really helpful.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:07 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

From the manual
http://www.bergvillfx.com/files/Cont...12UB_OR_en.pdf

1. USB flash memory 2 in 1 support
2. FAT 12/FAT 16/FAT 32 format supported.
3. USB 1.1 support, USB 2.0 support (For 2.0,
speed performance is as USB 1.1)
4. WMA files supported
5. Maximum number of MP3 files FAT 32
format supported is 65535 files. (Maximum
number of MP3 files NTFS supported is
1000 files.)
Maximum number of folders is 999.
6. Maximum USB capacity support is cap at
8 GB and best performance with songs
not more than 500, and not exceeding 30
folders.

7. Not all USB devices are compatible with
the unit.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:06 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Yeah CP, I noted the 8GB limit.

Unfortunately an 8GB USB will hold 1000-1500 normal songs which is way above the 500 limit recommended by Continental.

Must be some internal memory limitations on the unit where it can't keep more than 500 or so songs in memory. Might as well find some 4GB USB sticks and shuffle them in and out.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:13 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

I have over 800 songs on my memory stick in my Conti, and it works fine.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 06-13-2016, 06:11 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

I love the 7418 I picked up from Tore, but instead of a usb flash drive I use the aux in with my ipod. Actually added a little panel in glovebox with usb jacks for charging things, a jack for the aux input on the Conti radio, and a second lighter socket for good measure.
Attached Images  

Last edited by centerpunch; 06-13-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:34 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately bringing this back to the top with a problem.

I installed this radio earlier this year (non-hifi car) and it was working great. Didn't use it a whole lot driving but was entertaining while working on the car.

Suddenly I stopped getting audio. Powers up fine, everything works as normal but no audio.
Pulled out the radio and disconnected. This is when I noticed that when I plug in the audio section (connector B), I get audio to some speakers. Hold it just right and I get sound to all speakers. Once I push in the connector more than a couple of mm, I lose all sound.
Sprayed the connections with contact cleaner which didn't help at all.
Connectors look fine on both the radio and the vehicle side.

I don't know anything about car audio, do you think this is a problem with the radio? Not even sure how to check this without another radio.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:26 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

I haven't seen this before. I guess it is a contact problem between the rear connector and the PCB inside. Anyway not a user-fixable issue. Maybe a warranty claim to the supplier?
Cheers,
Tore
Old 10-20-2016, 02:28 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobbyp
Unfortunately bringing this back to the top with a problem.

I installed this radio earlier this year (non-hifi car) and it was working great. Didn't use it a whole lot driving but was entertaining while working on the car.

Suddenly I stopped getting audio. Powers up fine, everything works as normal but no audio.
Pulled out the radio and disconnected. This is when I noticed that when I plug in the audio section (connector B), I get audio to some speakers. Hold it just right and I get sound to all speakers. Once I push in the connector more than a couple of mm, I lose all sound.
Sprayed the connections with contact cleaner which didn't help at all.
Connectors look fine on both the radio and the vehicle side.

I don't know anything about car audio, do you think this is a problem with the radio? Not even sure how to check this without another radio.

Just to close off my issue, there is no problem with the radio.

After lots of testing and determining there was a problem with the right front, I got the right front speaker out and noticed that the previous owner did an unusual (hack) install of Infinity 6000CS speakers.
Looks like if I completely disconnect the RF tweeter, everything works fine. I'll be adding "shopping for new front speakers" to my winter to-do list.

Many thanks to Joe (jansan946) for walking me through the troubleshooting and helpful suggestions for remedies!
Old 10-20-2016, 03:22 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Jansan946 was a big help for me too, as was Tore! Great guys.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:04 PM
jansan946
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ToreB Has Done It Again

All,

I'm bring this back to the top because I recently received a note from Tore Bergvill relating that he has now developed patch harnesses that greatly simplify installation of Continental and other radios into 993's which have the M490 HiFi option.

The "B" block patch harness Tore now offers has integrated line-out convertors (LOCs) that directly interface the installed factory harness. My next project will be to replace the patch harness/crossover solution described in my original post with Tore's LOC harness. Then I am going to reinstall the original Nokia power amp under the passenger seat so that I can take advantage of the door speaker sonics that came with the $930, 6-channel, ten speaker, M490 HiFi option. Here's a link to the BergvillFx site http://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/...-993-m490.html

Thanks Tore!
Old 11-02-2016, 06:00 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks again to both Joe and Tore for all their help with these upgrades. I may do the same as you Joe, but don't know if my amp was working right before I removed it (wasn't sure if it was the head unit or the amp). I guess the easiest way is to just buy Tore's harness and try it.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:14 PM
spud72
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I sent an email to Tore, but does anyone know if the 996 M490 head unit wiring is the same as the 993? In other words, would that 993 adapter plug and play with the 996 with the M490 and Nokia amp?

I am really liking the look of the Continental unit in the Porsche. I haven't seen another one that looks just as "right" as these do.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:29 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

The 993 and 996/Boxster M490 connections are the same.
However, the 996/Boxster have by default the illumination input connected to the head unit, but the original 993 head units does not have this. A complete 993 M490 harness must therefore include a separate wire to connect to the dashboard light circuit.
A 996/Boxster harness must include the illumination wire connected to the correct output in the car head unit connector.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 01-23-2017, 09:29 PM
spud72
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Tore. Also, just ordered that harness through you

Quick Reply: Installing The Continental TR7412UB-OR Radio