Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Installing The Continental TR7412UB-OR Radio

Old 03-03-2016, 08:00 AM
brinks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continental-Focal Speaker Combo

Really nice installation, Jo-hans! How do you like the Continental-Focal combo system? Does the HU have enough power to drive the system? Did you install the Focal K2 Power 130KR component system? Does the tweeter fit into the stock Porsche tweeter enclosure? Thinking of installing a similar set-up. A few additional pics of the speakers fitted into the doors would be great. Thanks...
Old 03-03-2016, 05:17 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brinks
Really nice installation, Jo-hans! How do you like the Continental-Focal combo system? Does the HU have enough power to drive the system? Did you install the Focal K2 Power 130KR component system? Does the tweeter fit into the stock Porsche tweeter enclosure? Thinking of installing a similar set-up. A few additional pics of the speakers fitted into the doors would be great. Thanks...
Brinks, just like the OP, I also opted the use of the stock speakers as they are still in good condition. The decision to go with the Conti HU was to get something that had bluetooth/USB connectivity plus this unit has a more period correct look and illumination matches nicely too.
The dated Pioneer HU in my car had to go.
The output does not change much and is similar between a CDR-210/Nokia, and the Pioneer that was in there.
So with the Focal XO's installed as a module it is easy to go back to the Nokia Amp.
So no pics of the door speakers except this one with the module installed:

Anyhow good luck with your install and don't forget to share the results.

Cheers,
Old 03-06-2016, 12:14 AM
red67vert
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Potterphd she's a beauty! Your car's not bad either.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:33 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

THANKS jansan946 !

Non hi-fi installation so it was as posted above pretty much plug and play the only messy part was removing the PO's ~15 year old Alpine unit. I won't miss the bright multicolored LEDs.

Lucky for me whoever did the Alpine install found proper plug in connectors to convert the 2 OEM 8 pin plugs into the Alpine 16 pin plug.

I must admit I had several head scratching moments but Joe (jansan946) was extremely generous with off line help like when I couldn't get the radio antenna lead to fit. I had no idea that there was an easily removed adapter on the Continental's radio connector.

The only additional parts I needed were:
A. PAH-1784 External Power Supply Harness for select 1983-10 Euro Cars(Becker) from discountcarstereo.com

B. short piece of wire to run between the power supply harness and the ashtray light

C. a wire splice from home depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-B...2218/202522457) to tap into the ashtray light.

Just like Joe, I also wound up not installing the Continental frame. At his suggestion I just lightly bent up some of the tabs on the Alpine frame and the radio fits nice and snug and I don't have to worry about losing the radio keys.

Looking back, as someone who is all thumbs it took me way to long to install this radio though I'm sure I could do another one in way less than an hour.

I don't listen to the radio much but it is nice to have a modern, attractive radio with bluetooth handsfree/streaming, AM/FM and a 32gb usb flash drive http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...SB_Flash_Drive

Here are the obligatory pictures - sorry no cute little kids like potterphd

Continental radio. 95 C2 Classic Grey

Old 04-25-2016, 09:46 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Just received one of these from Tore but I don't have anything that will connect to the A or B section of the Continental. My 84 Carrera had an old cassette player but the connector from it will not fit into the back of the Continental. I see he sells ISO connectors for 964s and 993s but nothing for earlier cars. Is this what I need?

External Power Supply Harness
The following users liked this post:
Quadcammer (03-27-2020)
Old 04-26-2016, 02:47 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

Depending on what type of head unit you have installed now, you will probably need universal ISO connectors for the power and speaker connections.
Such cables are available in most car stereo shops, as well as on eBay and elsewhere. Here in Norway, such cables are available in most hardware stores as well. Se pic below.
All the best,
Tore
Old 04-26-2016, 02:54 AM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Great write up.....! Looks professional
Old 04-26-2016, 11:10 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToreB
Depending on what type of head unit you have installed now, you will probably need universal ISO connectors for the power and speaker connections.
Such cables are available in most car stereo shops, as well as on eBay and elsewhere. Here in Norway, such cables are available in most hardware stores as well. Se pic below.
All the best,
Tore
Thank you Tore. After a lengthy chat with discountcarstereo.com I found This Connector which I think will do the trick.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:32 PM
jansan946
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris M.,

You have identified the correct ISO A and B plugs from Discount Car Stereo. I have a couple of observations/suggestions for your consideration:

1. You apparently have an aftermarket replacement radio installed. Try Googling the make and model for a manual or installation instructions. With luck, you may find an illustration of the back chassis sockets. This should help you identify which wires are for what speakers and the +12V power lead controlled by the ignition switch. If you are really lucky, a patch ISO harness may be commercially available.

I assume that your existing installation isn't heavily modified with a power amp, sub-woofer, etc.

2. IIRC, the '84 Carrera has a power antenna, raised when the radio is switched on. If so, the power output for that is pin A5 on the back of the Continental radio.

3. Before you remove the existing radio - if it is working - use the fader, balance and volume controls to test the LF, RF, RR and LR channels to make sure that they all work and are distortion-free. This will verify that the existing speaker wiring is correct and the speakers aren't shot before you change the harness.

4. My preferred harness installation is axial wrap and resin-core electronic solder using a soldering gun such as a Wen or Weller and shrink tubing. Butt connectors or wire nuts are poor substitutes and bad ways to go about it.

5. Some folks think changing the harness is fun... others don't. If you don't, you may want to consider professional installation which will get you to the end result for some expense but with a lot of time saved.

Have fun!!!
Old 04-27-2016, 03:36 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Thank you Tore. After a lengthy chat with discountcarstereo.com I found This Connector which I think will do the trick.

Chris M.,
Please let me know how u end up with. wish u have a successful install. i'd be doing the same after u.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:30 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jansan946
Chris M.,

You have identified the correct ISO A and B plugs from Discount Car Stereo. I have a couple of observations/suggestions for your consideration:

1. You apparently have an aftermarket replacement radio installed. Try Googling the make and model for a manual or installation instructions. With luck, you may find an illustration of the back chassis sockets. This should help you identify which wires are for what speakers and the +12V power lead controlled by the ignition switch. If you are really lucky, a patch ISO harness may be commercially available.

I assume that your existing installation isn't heavily modified with a power amp, sub-woofer, etc.

2. IIRC, the '84 Carrera has a power antenna, raised when the radio is switched on. If so, the power output for that is pin A5 on the back of the Continental radio.

3. Before you remove the existing radio - if it is working - use the fader, balance and volume controls to test the LF, RF, RR and LR channels to make sure that they all work and are distortion-free. This will verify that the existing speaker wiring is correct and the speakers aren't shot before you change the harness.

4. My preferred harness installation is axial wrap and resin-core electronic solder using a soldering gun such as a Wen or Weller and shrink tubing. Butt connectors or wire nuts are poor substitutes and bad ways to go about it.

5. Some folks think changing the harness is fun... others don't. If you don't, you may want to consider professional installation which will get you to the end result for some expense but with a lot of time saved.

Have fun!!!
Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by 20C4S
Chris M.,
Please let me know how u end up with. wish u have a successful install. i'd be doing the same after u.
Will do.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:41 PM
will007
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 30 Posts

hi Jo-Hans:

I might have missed it, but is the cross over module something you made or pre-made? Interested in this set-up and would like to replicate. Have you done a write-up? or I can PM you.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:24 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by will007
hi Jo-Hans:

I might have missed it, but is the cross over module something you made or pre-made? Interested in this set-up and would like to replicate. Have you done a write-up? or I can PM you.
If you buy new speakers, they come with crossovers.

On my original hifi option car, I used JL Audio C5-525 speakers. I bought the Bergville speaker wiring harness and ran it from the dash under the carpet next to the console, then put the JL crossovers under the seat where the crappy Nokia amp used to be.
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2016, 11:23 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ToreB
The USB port only supports USB memories, not an iPod/iPhone.
The memory needs to be FAT16/FAT32 formatted. I tried a 512GB min memory stick, but this had exFAT formatting, and did not work. I am still trying to get the memory working properly in FAT32.
Cheers,
Tore
@Tore...so is there no way to charge a phone with this head unit?

Does anyone know if the Kienzle has the same issue?

Great write up @jansan946
Old 06-12-2016, 04:17 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Finally got mine installed and it looks great. Only have the door speakers but it sounds way better than my iPhone speaker. I use Bluetooth for listening to music from my phone and if I ever needed to charge I'd use the lighter port. Not sure what I'd use the USB port for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing The Continental TR7412UB-OR Radio