993 Forum 1995-1998

Factors to be aware of when buying low mileage 993

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 02:06 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
I've owned at least a dozen very low mile collector cars over the years and outside of some very minor oil leaks...nothing! Just bought a 25 year old Harley with 6,200 miles - nothing! These threads drive me nuts as most who comment have never had a low mile car
Totally agree, these "Low Mileage Cars Puke Oil and are Full of Dry Rot" are bs. Unless the pristine and low mileage car is stored outside in the rain and snow (not likely), you can stumble on a 20 year old 993 with zero miles, service the fuel and brake system and put tires on it and it would be as trouble free as the day it was built.

I have friends that have bought 30 year old airplanes that have a few hundred hours of use and were stored in unheated hangars their whole lives. Flown away with zero issues.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:41 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Onami
I've owned at least a dozen very low mile collector cars over the years and outside of some very minor oil leaks...nothing! Just bought a 25 year old Harley with 6,200 miles - nothing! These threads drive me nuts as most who comment have never had a low mile car
Sorry if this thread drives you nut, not my intention. My intent is to show that older cars with low mileage can be excellent daily driver or collector car. If maintained based on time and not mileage.

I don't consider my car ultra low miles but I would consider it low mileage with about 1000 mile average per year. I do all service basis on time not mileage. Even had dual distributor belt changed as I recall this year or last due to age. Same with shocks, they do not last forever so replaced with Bilstien Pss10's

Careful inspection for leaks or sepage. When I had car appraised the appraiser did same with car on lift so he could more easily inpect everything. He even had me remove thee plastic tray under car so he cold check for leaks and make sure all cosmoline was there which indicated not work done on engine or gearbox.

So I'm with you Onami the weight given an opinion with no firsthand real experience is not the most credible.

My car is not for sale
Old 08-28-2015, 03:52 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Low mile examples have potential for oil leaks. I don't know if what one would call "danger" is involved.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:18 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron
Is there a minimum number of miles per year average that a 993 should be driven so as to keep everything lubricated and for acids corrosion and like not to build up in the combustion chambers? By way of example could an 18 year old 993 Have potential problems mechanically if it had only been driven has been driven a total of 2000 miles in 18 year.? Are other things to be concerned with on a low mileage 993 items such as oil gearbox hydraulic fluids be changed yearly regardless of mileage driven during the past year and also should the car be driven using ethanol mix or 100% gasoline if available?
The less car is driven the more important the storage condition is.

I've heard of 128 mile 993 running perfectly fine (last year), but as pointed by others, that's a very subjective statement...fine as in it starts fine, or fine as in it runs fine on the track.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:26 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NYC993
The less car is driven the more important the storage condition is.

I've heard of 128 mile 993 running perfectly fine (last year), but as pointed by others, that's a very subjective statement...fine as in it starts fine, or fine as in it runs fine on the track.
Originally Posted by pp000830
Low mile examples have potential for oil leaks. I don't know if what one would call "danger" is involved.

You're right I will try to change title to : Factors to be aware of when buying low mileage.

Quick Reply: Factors to be aware of when buying low mileage 993