Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

My shifter is off center - im guessing its a transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 02:29 AM
jskylarwilson
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Hi, Background: I dropped my motor in my '96 C4S a while ago to replace the clutch, and I removed and cleaned the transmission in the process. I definitely turned the transmission on its side when pressure washing.

Problem: After reassembly, the shifter was sitting in the center, but it had less resistance when moving over to the 5th and 6th gear side (not shifting into gear, just staying in neutral). When moving from center to the 1st and 2nd gear side, it had more resistance (before you get to the wall where you go into reverse).

I installed the FD Goldenrod tonight, and the shifter sits off center now, leaning to the 5th/6th gear side. It seems that it has to do with the transmission shifting rod (as part of the transmission), not the goldenrod.

Any idea what could be up with the trans, or how I could adjust it so that the shifter sits back in center and had the same amount of resistance on both sides?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts!

Skylar

Last edited by jskylarwilson; 08-24-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:38 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Skylar,
Since there is adjustability fore and aft, there must also be some side to side...try searching here or on google, "Porsche 993 goldenrod installation and adjustment"

I recall reading how others having problems with the fore and aft adjustment and not being able to get into either the forward positioned gears 1, 3 , & 5; or aft positioned gears...memory fade

Hopefully, it has nothing to do with having the trans on its side...a buddy had his car on jacks in the rear and found that internal debris jammed his ability to shift into a certain gear.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:42 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Look at springs in the shifter. Be sure to not look for an issue where there may be none.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:50 PM
jskylarwilson
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely looking for any adjustments that can be made, and will scope out the shifter springs.

I'm certain that the less resistance on the 5/6 gear side is the transmission. When I was replacing the shift rod, I stuck a screwdriver through the screw hole on the shift rod that's on the transmission (see pic below), rotated it to each side, and it definitely has less resistance when moving to one side over the other.

Not sure what that actually means, or what it could be.

I'll still check out the shifter springs, and see if that would make any difference at all.

I'll also check out the goldenrod adjustments.

Thank you both!

(not my pic) The trans shift part I'm talking about:
Old 08-27-2015, 02:40 PM
jskylarwilson
Rennlist Member

Talked to Darin at FD, and I'm going to install the stock piece to see if it's the goldenrod. Darin offered to send another goldenrod to see if the one I got just has a defect. Here's how the shifter sits.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:04 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You can look at the GR and see if it's lined up properly. Hold the end which goes onto shift fork of shifter assm. at your eye and look towards the u-joints. The joint should be level in regards to the other end. I made my own. As I did I knew I wanted it to be symmetrical, in how the u-joint was welded onto rod. That way, I was sure shifter would center up. Seriously doubt it's the GR since FDM has made hundreds (if not thousands) of these. But **** happens. Just saying this so you can save some time and inspect the GR yourself before shipping it off.

Found an old pic. See the u-joint in relation to rod (and other end)? Make sure it's parallel to the other end. If the joint gets welded on at an angle that's not at 90 degrees, it will affect how shifter sits.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2777
Size:  231.6 KB
Old 08-27-2015, 07:51 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

As another that has fabricated a 'RS clone' shift rod
.... from a 993 steering U joint ..
, I heartily agree with every point made by OverBoosted; however, I would add that any deviation from vertical in the fore/aft plane can be corrected by popping off and adjusting the threaded length of the forward shift rod. In addition, the ball cup locknut must be tightened to assure that the cup is centered in the left/right movement of the shift lever ..... if not, then there remains a slight pressure on the lever ---- which could be the case here.

If this could be the case, loosen the locknut & see what happens - note that the locknut can be left loose ( not promoting this, BTW), as the forward ball cup only rotates ~1/8 turn, and cannot possibly become unscrewed, as it is captive.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:41 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

if you want to test/compare/try different parts I have all that crap.
forward rod, golden rod, shift tube, box, rothsport shifter...
it all just fell out the bottom one day and now sits on a shelf collecting dust.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:27 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garth S
As another that has fabricated a 'RS clone' shift rod
.... from a 993 steering U joint ..
, I heartily agree with every point made by OverBoosted; however, I would add that any deviation from vertical in the fore/aft plane can be corrected by popping off and adjusting the threaded length of the forward shift rod. In addition, the ball cup locknut must be tightened to assure that the cup is centered in the left/right movement of the shift lever ..... if not, then there remains a slight pressure on the lever ---- which could be the case here.

If this could be the case, loosen the locknut & see what happens - note that the locknut can be left loose ( not promoting this, BTW), as the forward ball cup only rotates ~1/8 turn, and cannot possibly become unscrewed, as it is captive.
^^^^ this is how I tighten everything. Like all of the heim joints I put in the rear. No matter how I tried to stress this to an alignment guy, he could not center the rod ends. I make sure they are neutral (as much as I can) and have full length of travel in each direction. 90 degrees on everything that you can. Good luck, let us know.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:53 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I thought I was just seeing things, don't really recall if the factory shifter was centered or not in the car. I put in the goldenrod and now ever so slightly leans to the 5-6th gear side, not as much as your picture shows, but enough that if you are looking at it, its not exactly centered.

I only replaced the GR and the nylon cups on my car since I have AWD and have to reattach to the torque tube. interested to see the solution.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:53 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Just in case what I said (regarding Garths input) didn't make any sense. Make sure all moving components (that have a set nut) are centered in their travel. If this cup end is twisted to one side, then tightened, it won't have a neutral area and could be what's causing the shifter to lean to the right. Just a thought. Hoping it's in the shift mechanism, as opposed to trans internals. GL
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2757
Size:  56.3 KB
Old 08-28-2015, 02:13 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

^^^ Gotcha. I needed a lot of force to pop that baby back on with the new cup inserts could easily cocked it to one side.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:02 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I firmly believe FD Motorsports web page has a DIY on the install of their goldenrod, along with a cautionary note regarding the centering and locking, being described.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:36 AM
jskylarwilson
Rennlist Member

I think that the centering they're talking about is the forward/aft adjustment. Mine is left to right. Called Darin, and he hasn't heard about the issue before. Maybe it's time to move to the short shifter too
Old 09-01-2015, 12:46 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I looked at mine yesterday and it looks just like yours.

Quick Reply: My shifter is off center - im guessing its a transmission issue