993 Forum 1995-1998

Replacement shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 05:39 PM
Donster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement shift ****

One of the few things I don't like about my 993 is the stock shifter. It's a bit too low for my liking and I think it's ugly. Soon after I bought my car I started looking around at alternatives and quickly realized they were limited by the odd design- the leather boot that is incorporated into the **** and the rectangular shift lever made most aftermarket solutions incompatible... you know the story.
I was also horrified by the cost of available upgrades! Someone recently advertised an aluminum shifter and handbrake on this forum in rather less than pristine shape for $1500, for example. I think it sold in a couple of days.
So, I put together some pieces from different sources and came up with a solution at reasonable cost. I'm very pleased with the result; it actually looks nicer than the pictures suggest.
Shift ****, walnut with mahogany inlay. CG Woodcraft $110
Shift lever adapter. 928 Motorsports $15
Shift boot. Redline $38 Not really necessary but I didn't want to cut up my old one.
Shipping costs for above: ? (but not much)

My lousy camera phone and the glare don't really do it justice, but there it is. I chose to seat it a little higher than stock because I didn't like having to reach down so much from the steering wheel from the old one.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:58 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Don, that looks really nice and I'm a fan of wood ***** myself. Yours looks really nice to my eye.

As an alternative, there are a whole lot of good looking *****, including wood spheres out there and the cost can be down to $40 range. Knobmeister, for example, is the one I'd recommend looking at. Redline goods is a no-brainer for shift boots, considering their excellent quality and truly affordable pricing. Plus, this way I feel that a little bit of my own car lives on in a 993 community The 928 adapter is nice but might not be needed. If you are using a set screw type of ****, they usually hold very well on a flat shifter.

I'm just so used to a round (sphere) in my hand that I have the round ***** on all three of my cars (Voodoo on Miatas, Rennline on 993). To a point that I've replaced the expensive OEM aluminum/leather ****. Yep, the one that's identical to the $1,500 deal you've mentioned. Now I have to sell it
Old 07-31-2015, 05:59 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Very nice! Looks good. Next time maybe look into function first shift *****. They're definitely way more responsibly priced. You can view them here. Otherwise, great job!
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-31-2015, 06:16 PM
Donster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at the Function First options and they appear well made, but I really like the look of a wood shifter with the tan leather interior. I considered ordering an OEM rootwood shifter but I'm not sure if that colour is still available and in any case I can't bring myself to lay out $500 + shipping for one.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:58 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that came out classy, good work
Old 08-02-2015, 12:11 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I appreciate your craftsmanship, but I'll take stock any day.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:27 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good, Don. (that cockpit looks familiar )

I agree that the stock shifter is too low. IIRC, the RS shifter is higher.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:18 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Donster
I looked at the Function First options and they appear well made, but I really like the look of a wood shifter with the tan leather interior. I considered ordering an OEM rootwood shifter but I'm not sure if that colour is still available and in any case I can't bring myself to lay out $500 + shipping for one.
Yes, I agree the wood is a very nice look. You did a great job.

Quick Reply: Replacement shift knob