993 Forum 1995-1998

WTB: 993 Track/Race Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:26 PM
SINY993er
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default WTB: 993 Track/Race Car

Hello Everyone - as the title states, I'm looking for a 993 race/track car for sale. The car will only be used for DEs and trailered to the track, so I'm not looking for a garage queen. I've looked at a couple of cars that are available on the forum - one that is absolutely insane and the other I might try to purchase), but want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I've also called a few shops on the east coast and am waiting for some responses. Any info would be greatly appreciated. My budget is in the $40k range. I've seen a handful of race cars sell in that range in the last 6 months, so I think its doable.

I owned a 2000 C4 Cab that I had to sell when the kids came along. I currently own an E36 track car, which I'd like to replace with a 993. I know there are a lot of "better/faster" options, but for now I'm set on a 993. I think they're special cars and a blast to drive on the track.

Thanks for the help and looking forward to getting involved again, once I find a car.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:43 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Good luck with search. Call Dan Jacobs and Peter Dawe if you haven't already.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:05 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Where are you on the curve? Looking to learn with the car, or anything but a pro prep will be holding you back?
Old 07-23-2015, 12:35 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

40k seems to be the going rate. Check panorama classifieds, i see them there often enough.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:49 AM
SINY993er
Rennlist Member

I've spoken with Peter and Trevor Dawe...they dont have anything at the moment, but they did speak highly about Dan Yoner's #75 993. Unfortunately, that car is slightly out of my budget and a full blown race car...not really what I'm looking for.

In terms of driving skill, I typically run in white group and should move up to black by end of season. I was thinking of a stock PCA class race car that has most, if not all, of the safety equipment, suspension and bolt mods. There are two similar to this description that I've found...trying to make sure its the right choice...there aren't many of them around.

Will definitely check Panorama. Thanks!!
Old 07-23-2015, 01:08 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

IIRC Mark In Baltimore is selling his car.

I thought you might be interested in reading this web page:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=24812

From,
Paddy
Old 07-23-2015, 08:49 AM
SINY993er
Rennlist Member

Paddy - I met Mark recently. Great guy and nice car. It's one of the front runners on my very short list. Trying to make sure there isn't anything else out there to choose from.

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2015, 01:14 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Just buy Mark's car. You're not going to find anything better for the money. If you were ready for it, Yonker's old car is a no-holds no-expense spared build.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:00 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are very few 993s including ours that are track/race prepared. I know of two FS, one is Mark's and the other is by Carl at Racer's Edge. I think both may be street legal if you plan to drive to the track. Each has its own pluses and if you want a 993, I would not hesitate to buy either after a PPI.

I am curious why a 993. If it is the allure of air cooled, in stock form, 964 is an all around better car. However, it is getting increasingly more difficult and expensive to find engine and body parts for air cooled cars. We paid $12.5K for a used engine that we plan to run for the rest of the summer if it checks out, before having it torn down and rebuilt over the winter. If we continue to keep the car, I plan to source buy parts to have a spare engine and hopefully transmission. I regret not buying a totaled car 2 years ago. I bet it would cost a lot more than $30K it went for then.

Good luck.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:40 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alaudiero01
In terms of driving skill, I typically run in white group and should move up to black by end of season. I was thinking of a stock PCA class race car that has most, if not all, of the safety equipment, suspension and bolt mods.
Sorry, out here on the West Coast those run groups don't mean a thing. Doubly for me as I haven't attended a PCA event since my last club race over a decade ago. Probably nearly 20 years for a PCA DE.

What I was getting at with where you are on the curve is what you require out of a car relative to what it can do. Say you're a 2:02 driver in a 2:00 car. Doesn't really matter what you get, as long as the car is balanced.

Also, understand on the prep level that anything safety-wise (including cage construction) has pretty much been re-thought in the last five years. Then you get to the dampers, etc. where state-of-the-art changes almost annually.

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
There are very few 993s including ours that are track/race prepared. I know of two FS, one is Mark's and the other is by Carl at Racer's Edge. I think both may be street legal if you plan to drive to the track. Each has its own pluses and if you want a 993, I would not hesitate to buy either after a PPI.

I am curious why a 993. If it is the allure of air cooled, in stock form, 964 is an all around better car. However, it is getting increasingly more difficult and expensive to find engine and body parts for air cooled cars. We paid $12.5K for a used engine that we plan to run for the rest of the summer if it checks out, before having it torn down and rebuilt over the winter. If we continue to keep the car, I plan to source buy parts to have a spare engine and hopefully transmission. I regret not buying a totaled car 2 years ago. I bet it would cost a lot more than $30K it went for then.

Good luck.
Likewise, I could have gone here with my comment, but the OP wants a 993. So find a good one, and have a healthy balance in the bank. Biggest thing working against a 993 coming out of the Stock/Prepared Club Race ranks is weight. Dollars being equal, I'd go 11 times out of 10 with a ~2300 lb. torsion bar based car on equal power-to-weight.

(If you're open minded, check out the 914-6 racer in the classifieds. A friend's old car that ended up with its current owner in the Midwest.)
Old 07-23-2015, 03:31 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

There really aren't any "lightweight" cars in G.. The onlything earlier than a 964 is "72-73 2.7 Carrera lightweight", not sure what that is, and have never seen one on the track.

We got a 100lb weight break this year to bring us closer to the RSA, so we are getting more competitive. Its the Cayman's that I worry about... Although I haven't raced in a while.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:48 PM
SINY993er
Rennlist Member

I agree...Mark's car is at the front of the list. Just checking to see what else is out there and want to make sure I find the right deal. I called Dan Jacobs today and one of his clients is looking to sell an F-Stock prepped 964 in the same price range with recently rebuilt motor and trans...car is pretty fresh and ready to go. Brandon at the shop suggested the 964 over the 993 due to lighter weight, similar horsepower, but simpler and easier to maintain suspension and engine.

Dan Yonkers car is Bonkers and out of my budget, though definitely worth the price given how much was invested $$$ into the car...huge discount on the amount invested.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:57 PM
SINY993er
Rennlist Member

Hey Guys - another question...why arent there more 993 track cars out there? Still dont understand it. Any ideas...
Old 07-24-2015, 12:24 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alaudiero01
Hey Guys - another question...why arent there more 993 track cars out there? Still dont understand it. Any ideas...
Now? Or historically? Historically, there were quite a few. The the Porsche track world got spammed with GT3s. Not a bad thing, but it certainly was such a step up that few cared to soldier on with the air cooleds.

"Now" is simple--it's an even poorer value proposition. My car had more than 996 Cup money spent on it, and it's slower. (I actually had a chance to buy a GT3R that was a Le Mans veteran for ~$50K with a super high hour engine in '04, but I'd just bought the Radical.)

I think you have to have a specific love for the air cooleds to bang on any 964 or 993 today. Most guys don't.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:36 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Last edited by Nader Fotouhi; 07-24-2015 at 09:49 AM. Reason: revised text

Quick Reply: WTB: 993 Track/Race Car