Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

WTB: 993 Track/Race Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 09:56 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

993 is great road car that can handle the track well. As a dedicated track car, there are so many other faster or cheaper choices depending on the budget. 993 is just one car on a pretty big spectrum.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:58 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure what happened to my post above, but it got chopped up when I submitted.

As Ken said, you can buy a more modern car at a fraction of the price. If I pay today's prices for an aircooled, I think twice about driving it, let alone tracking it which is really sad.

You can buy a Boxter S for less than $20K and be as fast/faster than any similarly prepared 993/964. Another consideration is finding parts for these cars. We were lucky to find a used engine. However, we paid 2-3X more than what they were going for 4-5 years ago. If we total the car, the chances of finding a 993 tub at a reasonable price are not high.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:17 PM
SINY993er
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Guys - have you seen or do you know anything about this car for sale on racingjunk.com:

http://www.racingjunk.com/GT/1825159...-Race-Car.html

After reading these posts starting to get concerned about value proposition of 993 track/race car. Seems like you either spend 35-40k on a G class car or spend north of $65+ on highly prepped 993s or 996GT3s. Obviously, there are caymans and 996/997 911s, but they all suffer from the well known issues - IMS, RMS, Oil starvation - when put on the track.

Any thoughts? Thanks agian!
Old 07-27-2015, 11:23 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

993 may not be the best "value" in a race car... But I would not be afraid of it, they are good bulletproof cars and have the ability to compete well in stock classes (PCA/SCCA)(NASA doesn't really have a real "stock" class).

The car you link above is a GT car... GT classes can be huge money pits .. There is no cost ceiling in GT, the limiting factor is simply "who" shows up. If you live in a region where only $50K cars show up in GT(x), it may be competitive... but you may get guys showing up with $500k GT cars (search KMR RSR) and you will get run over....

If cost is any factor in your decision, stay in stock classes.. In stock classes, 993 is competitive in G, don't worry too much about it.. if you like it, go for it.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:18 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ Not to mention it's not a 993....... Yeah, you can get serious "go" for your dollar on a built-off-a-torsion bar racer, but you'd better be ready to: 1. have trackside support, or 2. beyond DIY skills/spares toting along.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:38 PM
SINY993er
Rennlist Member

I think I get the idea. Made an offer on a stock class car...will keep you guys posted. Hopefully, I can get a deal done. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:42 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

It says make offer.

http://www.flat6mag.com/annonces/do/annonce/97ea3c25/
Old 07-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Since my 993 is one of the cars being considered, I obviously have some inherent biases, but I think there are also some truths. These track/race cars didn't just suddenly disappear into thin air or turn into wadded ***** of metal after years of being highly visible. My car has sat in my garage for the past five years, only occasionally going out for fun runs/Sunday Home Depot errands. I think many of the guys who used to race them have had a shift in their priorities. For me, it was health and the need to spend more time on the bike. For others, they have had families and just don't have the time that they used to ten years ago. Still others have had financial pinches and aren't able to allocate the funds for such a hobby.

The 993 was not supposed to be the car to have in D/G class; it was the 964 cup cars and the 964s. I remember a few people telling this to me. I didn't really care and said I would try to develop the car into a front runner, which is exactly what I did. My competitors will be happy to say that my driving skills are average, which, they are. I'm an okay driver who almost always managed my risks and only pushed it when I felt I could get away with an error. That the car was never wrecked and took me to 14 wins is, IMO, a proven testament to how easy the car is for a modest driver to wheel. Now that the car has received a 100 lb weight decrease, it will be even more competitive.

The 993 is new enough to not need the valve adjustments of a 964 and has ABS that the SCs and 3.2s lack, to name but one aspect. Again, I think these are terrific cars for the average driver.

Regarding parts becoming expensive, what part of racing and Porsches was ever going to be cheap? These ain't Miatas. Wreck a Cayman and hope your belt doesn't dent the floor as you drop your pants. Smack a guardrail with an E class 911 and use the air from the flying dollar bills to cool your sweaty brow. If you're patient and smart, you can amass a "wreck insurance policy" by buying parts. I bought a 50,xxx mile 993 motor for $4,000. I found fenders on eBay for $175 (had to drive 200 miles to pick it up).

Regarding suspension technology changing constantly, how in the world are PCA racers still able to win on 25+ year old Bilstein designs?

Why drive a 993? For the same reason the 996 evolved into the 997, the 993 shape was really the shape that all others are trying to evoke. It looks right and, as track eye candy, it will shine as a supermodel in a sea of GT3 walruses. I'm pretty sure the 993 shape has some draw for you, for those seem to be the only cars you're considering.

Other 993s have not been as lucky or well-built and have either made many trips to the body shop due to driver errors or have had reliability issues. Sure, you can spend more money for a 600+hp monster, but I am going to guess it will spend a lot of time in the shop. My car has been near bullet-proof in its reliability, something that I have posted about time and time again, and has the race results to back up the development.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:34 PM
SINY993er
Rennlist Member

Mark - I think you nailed it...I couldn't agree more. It was great to meet you and the car last week, plus thanks for the help with the gas money!

Talk soon!
Old 07-30-2015, 12:18 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

If you haven't bought a car yet (Mark in Baltimore's looks sweet!), here an '86 race car with a 993 body kit. Engine claims 325 HP with only 3 hours on it. https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/308678
Old 07-30-2015, 01:30 PM
SINY993er
Rennlist Member

Saw this car...its been for sale for a while now. Does anyone know anything about the seller? Thanks again.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Foxman
If you haven't bought a car yet (Mark in Baltimore's looks sweet!), here an '86 race car with a 993 body kit. Engine claims 325 HP with only 3 hours on it. https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/308678
Originally Posted by alaudiero01
Saw this car...its been for sale for a while now.
Probably because.....see my post #20 above.

There are those who go to the track to: drive and socialize, end up wrenching and socialize, or just to socialize because their hired support is wrenching.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:10 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Why???

Originally Posted by alaudiero01
Hey Guys - another question...why arent there more 993 track cars out there? Still dont understand it. Any ideas...
The 993, as it is raced in PCA Stock, is heavy. Heavy cars do not make fun race cars when they compete against lighter, lower HP cars.

They are appreciating faster than Kim Kardashian's butt is growing. I have a 993, street legal (sort of) car that could be converted back to street form. Still has sun top, cruise, power windows and air conditioning..it has a 993 RS interior.

I am now having reservations about racing it....all of the air cooled Porsche cars are appreciating to the point where one wonders if it is wise to do wheel to wheel racing. I am seriously thinking about leaving racing and going back to Time Trial...I now I'll miss the starts and the drama of racing...still pondering.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:22 AM
OnFire
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I happen to be thinking about selling my track car...

I have a Midnight Blue 1995 C2 that is built up as a race/track car. I've had it only for about a year, and it's pretty obvious I've been playing out of my league. It's got a full cage, slicks all around, big read brakes from the Turbo, Three way adjustable JRZ's, a professoinally built 3.8 with bigger cams and a straight exhaust, (I was quoted 330 HP), short shift transmission, AC and radio delete, and a RS dual plane spoiler. Basically t's ready to go. I know the cars are appreciating rapidly, so I'm looking to get just a bit more than I put in to it. Around $48-49K, but slightly negotiable. Check out my pics on the 993 Price thread. Page 27.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:17 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OnFire
I have a Midnight Blue 1995 C2 that is built up as a race/track car. I've had it only for about a year, and it's pretty obvious I've been playing out of my league. It's got a full cage, slicks all around, big read brakes from the Turbo, Three way adjustable JRZ's, a professoinally built 3.8 with bigger cams and a straight exhaust, (I was quoted 330 HP), short shift transmission, AC and radio delete, and a RS dual plane spoiler. Basically t's ready to go. I know the cars are appreciating rapidly, so I'm looking to get just a bit more than I put in to it. Around $48-49K, but slightly negotiable. Check out my pics on the 993 Price thread. Page 27.
Not so much for track cars. Full value there is data you can produce showing where it fits in the pecking order, from verifiable lap times to the mechanicals--time on components, age on safety equipment, etc.

Quick Reply: WTB: 993 Track/Race Car