Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

993 TRAIL SPEC: Journal Post 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 01:45 PM
delisedesign
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must be one of the best things in a car guys life- boxes waiting when you get home..especially when it's parts you can install yourself..
Old 07-23-2015, 02:04 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by delisedesign
Indeed they are made for this type of adventure!
Some think the only way to have fun in these cars is polishing inbetween track days, while that's fun for sure,
they are so balanced that they can be just as much of a blast hooning
around rough roads with a higher center of gravity just like the rally guys have been doing for decades...
but this isnt a rally... its an every day 993... why load 10 pounds of s**t on a 5 pound bag? I guess I'm just not seeing the excitement in all of it.
A 993 does not strike me as the right tool for the job. Especially with an SUV at your disposal.

sure id want to drive it to SEA, but I don't think strapping a cargo basket to the roof, gasoline, and bike racks to the engine lid are really ideal.

I'd want to be comfortable, duffel bag, with my loved one, and let her rip.
but that's just me...

I'd use caution on the rolling arsenal of weapons and ammo. Esp if you plan on visiting / traversing federal parks.
Unless you have carry permit in each state the park is located in, you're pretty much asking to get arrested should something go sideways.
(yes even if your "ammo is separate" lol)
(coming from someone who is authorized in all 50 and then some)
i never understood the allure of all this anyways.

there i said it - Flame suit on! -
but i wish you a safe journey and look forward to pictures
Old 07-23-2015, 02:46 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Indeed they are made for this type of adventure! Some think the only way to have fun in these cars is polishing inbetween track days, while that's fun for sure, they are so balanced that they can be just as much of a blast hooning around rough roads with a higher center of gravity just like the rally guys have been doing for decades...
Until you bust something in the middle of nowhere............

(First "competitive" 911 use of my first on the, the '68, in 1980 was post-running the Mendocino Forest Rally. I learned really quick that ____ can go wrong really fast--even if I was a pretty clueless 18 year old.)
Old 07-23-2015, 02:56 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Don't see any tools noted on the diagram. I'd put together a nice tool bag for a long run. You should've seen the bag I had just for 993Fest.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:28 PM
delisedesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
but this isnt a rally... its an every day 993... why load 10 pounds of s**t on a 5 pound bag? I guess I'm just not seeing the excitement in all of it.
A 993 does not strike me as the right tool for the job. Especially with an SUV at your disposal.

sure id want to drive it to SEA, but I don't think strapping a cargo basket to the roof, gasoline, and bike racks to the engine lid are really ideal.

I'd want to be comfortable, duffel bag, with my loved one, and let her rip.
but that's just me...

I'd use caution on the rolling arsenal of weapons and ammo. Esp if you plan on visiting / traversing federal parks.
Unless you have carry permit in each state the park is located in, you're pretty much asking to get arrested should something go sideways.
(yes even if your "ammo is separate" lol)
(coming from someone who is authorized in all 50 and then some)
i never understood the allure of all this anyways.

there i said it - Flame suit on! -
but i wish you a safe journey and look forward to pictures
No flame suit necessary! I really appreciate the feedback, and the looking out- it wouldnt be a forum without it...

Believe me, Ive gone back and forth on how to handle this trip, whats necessary, what isnt. I do have a concealed permit, and license will be with me. I have to transport the weapon cross country either way, and since this trip is with my best friend, Im more comfortable doing the shenanigans on this one, and saving the comfortable trip for when I do it again in a few months with my wife and dog in the cayenne.

I trust all the equipment can take it, including the 911- I have all the necessary backups for breakdowns, AAA, all spare belts, and I know based on the route where all my emergency stops would be in range...and that trunk lid is designed to take the downforce from the spoiler, so it wont mind two carbon bikes weighing less that 18 lbs each....high speed runs will be kept under 130 though (i read that the racks are tested up to 140mph with weight)

As for me handling it- my friend and I are in our 30s, Ive done extended cross country drives since I was a kid, hauling all sorts of stuff in a variety of vehicles....While I wont be hooning irresponsibly, I am excited to introduce the car to more curves than its used to and have some fun.

I dont think Im alone in the enjoyment that comes from preparing for being prepared...my dream job would probably be Porsche test driver (deserts and ice included)....and since we dont have a convoy of backup cars with us, hence the reason for all the additions and rigging.....In my opinion, its always better to have and not need, than to need and not have....wait til you see how I outfit the cayenne in part 2....

Thanks for the good wishes too.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:31 PM
delisedesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Don't see any tools noted on the diagram. I'd put together a nice tool bag for a long run. You should've seen the bag I had just for 993Fest.
Got it! I do have all spare belts, roadside toolkit and some other stuff for unforeseen 'mends', but just didnt put it in the diagram, since it was meant to be more general...

What was your list of tools? would be real helpful to see if Im missing anything I didnt think of....
Old 07-23-2015, 03:48 PM
delisedesign
Instructor

Ok, got the racks loaded and ready....she is at the tint shop getting front windows done at the moment...one of the things on the checklist was AC recharge, and event though it is blowing cold now, will still be a big help to have the extra shade in the car.

Mounted and all taped up!

Didnt notice until my buddy mentioned it, but the tape came out Seattle Seahawks colors (sorry Broncos fans, it was pure coincidence, Im still torn)

Spoiler does have the manual mod done, so it wont get in the way once bikes are on...
Old 07-23-2015, 03:56 PM
delisedesign
Instructor

The rack mounted a bit more angled and forward than I would like, although the windnoise is quite minimal (forked over the extra $50 to get the areoblades instead of the bars.....
Im worried it will have some lift once its loaded with gear. I can clamp it back a bit more, and shift the rear legs farther down, that will help reduce the front overhang over the windshield, but may increase the tilt angle.... What do you guys think?
Old 07-23-2015, 03:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Got it! I do have all spare belts, roadside toolkit and some other stuff for unforeseen 'mends', but just didnt put it in the diagram, since it was meant to be more general...

What was your list of tools? would be real helpful to see if Im missing anything I didnt think of....
Full socket and open end wrench sets, Allen sockets, ratchet, extensions, swivels, a few drifts, misc screwdrivers, hammer, Crescent wrenches, channel locks, needle nose, wire cutters, regular pliers, Torque wrench and lug socket, Vicegrips, voltmeter, fuses, DME spare relay, probably some safety wire and duct tape, and a few pairs of latex gloves.

PS- The rear spoilers do not create downforce, they negate lift.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:14 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

...and Im in the middle of installing some trail-ready accessories for the trip.

I love it!

What about paint protection? Have you thought of using some type of removable, rubberized paint to protect the front of the car and rear fenders? Could even get creative and paint a simple racing livery...

Old 07-23-2015, 05:17 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Great suggestions thanks! We are going to stick to the Teton range area for the first leg...lots of good scenery and biking..
Mountain bike trails outside the park. Bike paths through a large portion of the valley as well as GTNP. Big mtn bike park at JHMR. Highly recommend whitewater raft trip in the Snake River Canyon, or scenic float leaving from Deadman's Bar -- very close to Ansel Adams' famous Snake River Overlook. (The iconic view of the Tetons)

Lots of great hikes in GTNP and elsewhere in the valley. Excellent restaurants in the town of Jackson and at the ski village. If you are here on Saturday morning, we have Cars & Coffee at 8:30 am. You guys would be great surprise guests for that.

Fly fishing is great.

Let me know what you're interested in and I'll point you in the best direction...
Old 07-23-2015, 06:11 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure how prepared you want to be on the tools front, but if youre bringing spare belts, make sure you have the right tools to install them. A blown alternator belt is worth preparing for IMO. I havent followed this specific writeup, but it looks to have a decent list of tools for the swap:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...e-v-belts.html

Also I love the trail build. Hope you have a good and trouble free trip.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:01 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 383 Posts

Have a great trip, dude. I like your style...and Seahawks colors!! Welcome to Seattle. There is a good aircooled scene here. Have a great trip and hopefully we will get a chance to meet one of these days at a 911 event.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:07 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Make sure the bikes don't interfere with the tail going up and down.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:04 AM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Indeed they are made for this type of adventure! Some think the only way to have fun in these cars is polishing inbetween track days, while that's fun for sure, they are so balanced that they can be just as much of a blast hooning around rough roads with a higher center of gravity just like the rally guys have been doing for decades...
Sometimes I feel like I get more out of my Porsche then some do with their SUV's or truck.

Quick Reply: 993 TRAIL SPEC: Journal Post 1