993 Forum 1995-1998

993 TRAIL SPEC: Journal Post 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 12:05 AM
delisedesign
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
Awesome graphic. I question ripping through the mountains with that bike mount set up and roof rack. Is that your plan?

I mounted a roof rack with 1 bike on my former 993. I was shocked at the way that it upset the aerodynamics of the car - and the handling with the weight up top. I cannot imagine what the 993 would be like with the equipment you are considering.
Yes, ripping will be required on this trip...the most curves this car has seen was the initial trip from Cali to Michigan when I picked her up, I feel like Ive just been tuning it the past few years, so its time to show her the mountains and hit it hard.

Certainly, I am going to expect some compromised aerodynamics, along with the hinderance of the extra weight....I think mounting them in this orientation should be a bit better than roof mounted, since its lower and farther down the air stream...I did debate whether to even do it in the first place on a trip this long, I thought about just shipping them out, but Im a cyclist and when else will I ever have a chance to ride those roads?

Plus, if Jag can pull it off, why not Porsche,
Old 07-22-2015, 12:23 AM
delisedesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
Have you considered a pickup truck instead?
Yes. Considered a truck, and got a cayenne turbo s last year...its truck enough for me....I will be driving that one out with the Mrs. and the german shepherd on Roadtrip Part 2 in a few months from now- more or less the same route, but with less 'roughing it'.
I know its ironic, but the nature of the 2 trips will be quite different, and I had to chose my battles

whats particularly interesting is that both of these vehicles together cost less than one brand new, modestly spec'd F150.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:29 AM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 487 Posts
Default 993 TRAIL SPEC: Journal Post 1

I'm in Denver and would gladly meet for a beer or show you some great driving roads. Trip looks fantastic. Best wishes.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:26 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
Have you considered a pickup truck instead?
That's no fun. Half of our trips to Phoenix over the past decade in the 4S and now 996 Turbo allow plenty of luggage/golf clubs/bikes/cooler/electronics.

Originally Posted by delisedesign
Certainly, I am going to expect some compromised aerodynamics, along with the hinderance of the extra weight....I think mounting them in this orientation should be a bit better than roof mounted, since its lower and farther down the air stream.
I've done thousands of miles with the good ol' Yakima. Never felt it's been an issue, other than taking about a 10% MPG hit. Which does matter on a 2K miler.
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2015, 12:50 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by delisedesign
I'll be going North, and I really do look forward to Yellowstone...will check out Beartooth for sure
A possibility:
Take 1-25 north to Cheyenne and I-80.

Head west to Rawlins. Take US 287 North out of Rawlins through low mountain ranges and high sage desert past Lander and along the east slope of the Winds.
Beautiful country just to the south of Dubois. Go up over Togwottee Pass and get your first glimpse of the Tetons and descend into Jackson Hole.

At Moran junction you have to make a choice. Continue on 287 up into Yellowstone or drop down to the town of Jackson and see the Teton Range up close and personal (see pic). I can give you lots of suggestions for what to do in Jackson Hole. Then double back and head into Jellystone Nat'l Park.

You'll see Bison, Elk, and Pronghorns in GTNP and YNP. Must see in YNP are Old Faithful and its surrounding geyser basin, Grand Prismatic Spring, and Artist Point (overlooking the Lower Falls and Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone)

You can then head out of YNP through the NE entrance to get to Beartooth Pass (it's out of your way, but worth it). Or go out through the north entrance and up Paradise Valley to Livingston. Cool artsy/fly-fishing town. Jump on I-90 there and head west. Bozeman also a great western town. Great scenery along I-90 in western MT. Also Coeur d'Alene is definitely worth a stop.

If you have time the Buffalo Bill Museum of the West in Cody is sensational. Google it and see if it appeals to you. The drive from YNP to Cody is beautiful too.

You'll also be sharing the road with lots of Harleys as Sturgis is the first week in August.

You're gonna have a great adventure.
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2015, 10:28 PM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what will you be doing in seatle (work) i see its a CF company I know boeing is pretty big with their composites division since the dreamliners manufacturing. my buddys company makes the carbon fiber weaving machine for the wings. you should make some parts for the 993 in Carbon.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:04 PM
CerberuskY
Advanced

Originally Posted by axl911
What's with the Benelli Defense? Isn't the HK45 more appropriate for the German 993?
H&K close at hand is the way I travel, and a sig in the waist band. I wouldn't leave the Benelli on the roof!
Old 07-22-2015, 11:09 PM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CerberuskY
H&K close at hand is the way I travel, and a sig in the waist band. I wouldn't leave the Benelli on the roof!
i had my glock 17 close. i found the door pocket is the perfect place to conceal carry while driving however now i have RS door cards there really isnt a good place except the glove box.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Good luck on the trip.

Quick comment, if "high flow filter" means something like a K&N, you may consider dumping it for a stock filter. Hard to beat and probably more effective.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:40 AM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to see others treat their cars the same way.
These cars are made to be more than show cars IMO. Go and Smell the Roses!

Originally Posted by quacktoduck
i had my glock 17 close. i found the door pocket is the perfect place to conceal carry while driving however now i have RS door cards there really isnt a good place except the glove box.
I found my G 27 fits perfectly in the door handle (stock handle)
Old 07-23-2015, 01:18 PM
delisedesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by axl911
What's with the Benelli Defense? Isn't the HK45 more appropriate for the German 993?
I have a friend at Benelli, so I get hooked up....thought about picking up a Walther ppk to supplement tho..
Old 07-23-2015, 01:20 PM
delisedesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
A possibility:
Take 1-25 north to Cheyenne and I-80.

Head west to Rawlins. Take US 287 North out of Rawlins through low mountain ranges and high sage desert past Lander and along the east slope of the Winds.
Beautiful country just to the south of Dubois. Go up over Togwottee Pass and get your first glimpse of the Tetons and descend into Jackson Hole.

At Moran junction you have to make a choice. Continue on 287 up into Yellowstone or drop down to the town of Jackson and see the Teton Range up close and personal (see pic). I can give you lots of suggestions for what to do in Jackson Hole. Then double back and head into Jellystone Nat'l Park.

You'll see Bison, Elk, and Pronghorns in GTNP and YNP. Must see in YNP are Old Faithful and its surrounding geyser basin, Grand Prismatic Spring, and Artist Point (overlooking the Lower Falls and Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone)

You can then head out of YNP through the NE entrance to get to Beartooth Pass (it's out of your way, but worth it). Or go out through the north entrance and up Paradise Valley to Livingston. Cool artsy/fly-fishing town. Jump on I-90 there and head west. Bozeman also a great western town. Great scenery along I-90 in western MT. Also Coeur d'Alene is definitely worth a stop.

If you have time the Buffalo Bill Museum of the West in Cody is sensational. Google it and see if it appeals to you. The drive from YNP to Cody is beautiful too.

You'll also be sharing the road with lots of Harleys as Sturgis is the first week in August.

You're gonna have a great adventure.
Great suggestions thanks! We are going to stick to the Teton range area for the first leg...lots of good scenery and biking..
Old 07-23-2015, 01:27 PM
delisedesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by quacktoduck
what will you be doing in seatle (work) i see its a CF company I know boeing is pretty big with their composites division since the dreamliners manufacturing. my buddys company makes the carbon fiber weaving machine for the wings. you should make some parts for the 993 in Carbon.
I'll be doing industrial design with Lamborghini/Gemini ...http://www.lambolab.org about half the business develops forged composites and CF for the HQ in Italy, the other contracts out to others like Boeing...part of my role is tasked with expanding the portfolio and exposure, so we will see what we can come up with....
Old 07-23-2015, 01:29 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wow!

Damn, dude, cool gig!
Old 07-23-2015, 01:39 PM
delisedesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by AZ Targa
Good to see others treat their cars the same way.
These cars are made to be more than show cars IMO. Go and Smell the Roses!

I found my G 27 fits perfectly in the door handle (stock handle)
Indeed they are made for this type of adventure! Some think the only way to have fun in these cars is polishing inbetween track days, while that's fun for sure, they are so balanced that they can be just as much of a blast hooning around rough roads with a higher center of gravity just like the rally guys have been doing for decades...

Quick Reply: 993 TRAIL SPEC: Journal Post 1