bjornebo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you!
Old 07-31-2015, 10:36 AM
amrkaki
Rennlist Member

No need to buy the whole frame just buy the bushings attach site pic were i got it

Old 08-01-2015, 10:44 PM
NoleenELT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Davis Pan
I replaced the grommets in my 1995 993 airbag holder about a month ago. It was not easy. As bjornebo mentioned, the original rubber grommets are in a metal insert that is glued into the metal airbag holder. The Zims grommets don't require metal insert and are press fit into the airbag holder after you remove the metal inserts. To remove the inserts, I scraped as much of the old rubber out of the inserts and then worked on one corner of the holder at a time. I heated each corner over a gas stove burner until the middle of the airbag holder felt hot. I then quenched corner holding the insert in cold water. This broke glue bond around the inserts and well as cooled off the metal so I could use a single-edged razor blade to lift the lip of the insert a little bit so I could fit a small screwdriver under the lip to pry the insert completely out. The Zims grommets are very difficult to press into the airbag holder even after removing the inserts. To make the job a bit easier, I boiled some water then dropped the grommets into the water (one at a time) for 10-20 seconds after I turned off the flame. This softened the grommets enough for me to press fit them into the airbag holder. So far the new grommets have worked fine - no more random honking on turns or during braking! I can post a picture or two if people think that will help.
I just used a hammer and a few sockets which were the correct size. It only took a few minutes.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:54 AM
928S4DUBAI
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchaced a new bracket but whilst waiting for it to arrive , I placed a couple of pieces of silicone tube (model aircraft fuel tube) between the pad and wheel.
3 years later I still haven't fitted the new bracket! Horn works when I press and no ghost horn when I brake.
Chris
Old 08-06-2015, 04:59 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I installed the Zims bushings yesterday. I also used a 13mm socket to easily tap out the old bushings and drive in the new ones.

The only problem I had was the four 17mm gold annodized bolts did not freely insert into the new bushings. The shank on the bolts would grab the bushing center. So I filed down the shank of the bolts just a bit and ran a drill bit through the bushings to open them up just a bit. This allowed the bolts to slide through cleanly.

All in all it was a pretty straightforward process thanks to the guidance and instructions provided by those who paved the way.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:26 PM
Levent
Advanced

Deleted

Last edited by Levent; 08-07-2015 at 02:23 PM.

Quick Reply: horn honks when braking