993 Forum 1995-1998

Performed alignment today...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 06:53 PM
AllMine
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Performed alignment today...

I was able to align my car today. Having not done so since I have owned it. Going over bridges with irregular concrete, like waves, not too hard to tell who's shocks/struts are toast. I had noticed the rear would move in a circular pattern over these waves. Outer C/V boot went out. Replaced all 4. Noticed play in rear toe arm, replaced both. Finally inistalled front control arm bushings from FD Motorsport. Noticed the drivers side KT eccentric position was way different then the passengers side. Pass KT eccentric allen hole fully rounded out, bolt assy not perpendicular to bushing. Replaced bolt and eccentric. Purchased and fixed (really no biggie) KT measurement tool and bolts.
On the rack; immagine that...drivers camber way out in rear...actually everything was out except R/R camber. R/R camber is .-9 so it is out too, but to my favor on tire wear, so its good. R/R KT initial was 3.5. Drivers side had no bubble showing...oops. So wiggle wiggle, adjust adjust and I ended up with -.9 on both sides and 3 slight + KT on drivers and 3 slight - KT on passengers. I did center the toe at .17 per but we all know that drive off the ramp then back on again and the measurements will not be identical...my OCD really hates this!! Anyway, what is interesting to me is the drivers camber adjustment is almost maxed out to get the tire to stand up that much. Is this somewhat normal? I did not look at the adjuster position for the passengers side as I liked what I saw there (on the screen). On the front The caster was maxed out. I lowered it to 4.9 left and 5.4 right. Camber at -.2 on both sides. Probably should have taken more out, but with me hanging like a monkey off the tire taking camber out I thought centered is good. This is a cab, will probably never see 100mph again, driven casually, so tire wear is a major concern to me.
The poly bushings made a tremendous difference in stiffness in the front. Stiffness as in vertical stiffness. Probably crisper steering too, don't know as I just drove the car home from work. Big difference in what I can only describe as stiction. Of course I am spoiled with pretty decent roads around here, not as nice as the Carolinas, but pretty good anyway. I will tell you this though, I would much rather replace 10 sets of the LCA bushings than have to service the half shafts on this car again. I thought they would be like a SC model....silly me.
Curt
Old 07-04-2015, 01:05 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm pretty sure one would not want stiffness in the vertical plane; and as I understand it, stiction in suspension is something you want to try to eliminate...

New bushings should take up lateral sloppiness and one would look for smooth vertical suspension movement, yes? Perhaps its the terminology that is confusing to me...

I would much rather replace 10 sets of the LCA bushings than have to service the half shafts on this car again. I thought they would be like a SC model....silly
Old 07-05-2015, 12:10 PM
AllMine
Instructor

It does feel like stiction. I believe, perhaps incorrectly, that the poly bushings with the super viscous lube is slower to respond to bumps then simple deflection of the stock, 100k mile, rubber bushings. To me it feels like high speed damping has been increased, while low speed damping maybe uneffected. This is based in a 15 mile drive. I suspect things will change with some miles on them.
Curt
Old 07-05-2015, 05:58 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Curt,
I think you are correct in that giving things some time to settle/wear in, will be beneficial. As you stated, comparing 100k mi. OEM suspension bushings to the FD bushing kit, should be a greater disconnect than apples n oranges...

BTW, did you install Bilstein HD's and maybe some progressively wound H&R springs, in replacing the crappy OEM Monroe and spring units? Better suspenders via Bilstein, better/lower stance via the springs.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:33 PM
AllMine
Instructor

Originally Posted by nine9six
BTW, did you install Bilstein HD's and maybe some progressively wound H&R springs, in replacing the crappy OEM Monroe and spring units? Better suspenders via Bilstein, better/lower stance via the springs.
No, unfortunately too many other things to do before any upgrades can occur..
Curt
Actually my car is wearing Boge suspenders that I find odd...
Old 07-05-2015, 08:51 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Inquiring minds want to know: Got your own alignment equipment and rack? Rent time at a shop using their gear?
Old 07-06-2015, 01:36 PM
AllMine
Instructor

I work at a shop that has a newish hunter machine. I did have to buy the KT measurement tool from Paragon. Took me 2.5 hours to do while training another associate how to perform alignments. First 993 I have done myself. Just some extra adjustments to do. Really irritated that the alignment rack itself is not perfectly level..... Probably a little bent due to someone else setting the rack down with a ram still in the lowered position.
Curt

Quick Reply: Performed alignment today...