An Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 06:40 PM
FrannyB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Introduction

Hi All (caution: long introduction ahead),

I want to introduce myself and my new-to me ‘94/’95 Carrera Cab. I purchased this car a few months ago from a shop in central Penn. I have a car shop owner friend in the area that was able to look in on the car and pronounce it sound. Mileage is just shy of 60K and we are now the third owner with complete service records since new. We had it shipped out to Colorado and the car was better than I expected. We just had a local Councours here in the Denver area and it took top score on the green – all cars/makes. I did spend almost a month cleaning The car was originally built as a ’94, but has an option code stating that it was re-VINed as a ’95. Not that it matters, but I thought that was a little interesting. Outside of that it is a pretty standard car, but completely bone stock – even down to the original cassette player. Original 16” rims too. I did add the wind deflector to the convertible top.

I have wanted a 993 for a while, so when the Boxster got into an altercation with an Xtera turning left from the right lane, It was replaced with this car. The Boxster (’06 S) is an amazing car and does pretty much everything right and is an absolute pleasure to drive – would recommend it in a heartbeat - but now I know what all the fuss is around the 993. It isn’t just the last of the aircooled, or the refinement of the chassis, interior controls, power, etc., but all of those together really do make for an amazing car. You can tell before you get off your street that is truly is something special. It still feels small and nimble and very precise. No real drama on turn in and a little power assist in the steering communicates all you need without yelling. That 3.6 pulls hard, but is smoother in its delivery and the fan is a tad softer so you can now hear a bit of induction noise as well. Completely a jump-in and go car.

The car joins a ’58 A Cab, ’86 3.2 Carrera Cab, and ’04 996 Turbo X50 Cab in the garage. It is fun to feel how connected the cars are yet be able to experience their individual personalities. It really is like a multi-generational family with the stately Grandmother at the top, then the Oldest daughter – a little wild, and raw, but so much fun, the younger sister more civilized but still knows how to have fun and look great and the raucous grandson who just tries to stay out of jail.

The 3.2 is an absolute favorite because of the involvement and ability to focus your attention on driving. A bit louder and no assist in the steering means that you are never at a lack of information as to what the road conditions are or where the engine is at any moment. Ride is nice, but you can feel the lump behind the rear axle to keep you from going too far. Interior controls are a mess, but the heat is great. Pretty easy to work on and super reliable. With the 915 tranny, shifting can be a little slow, but with some linkage updates/upgrades almost not noticeable, Very much an Alpha – everything out in the open. The 993 in comparison is more comfortable, faster, quieter (not necessarily better), tighter and more confidence inspiring. Not quite as much info, but all that you need. As in the 996, the obvious feeling of the lump is gone and the turn-in is smart and without drama. It still feels small and tight, but it holds you better. It looks great too! Those rear curves are to die for! As in the 356 which has the best set of curves ever, you can see where the 993 gets them from. The 356 is stately, very comfortable, rides great and sounds great. As with all the cars the power is there if you know where to find it. It is just easier to find as the cars get newer. A four speed tranny will make you think about your shifts and power delivery a bit more, once again drawing you in. In comparison to the 996 turbo… that car is (for me) insane. Best touring car ever – passes other cars just out of spite and makes them fly backwards. The ride is a bit stiff, but it is something you get used to quickly and don’t even notice if you are the driver. Power everything – leather everywhere bla, bla, bla… the AWD is great and you only really notice it when you go nuts into a turn – it is almost clairvoyant in its torque shifting. Those big ceramics never have you question breaking power and those massive tires keep all the drama down and allow the fun-o-meter to go to 1bar in a second and still say composed.

They are all amazing and I am so glad to now be able to experience the 993. It is really all the cars rolled up into one awesome package – all the best bits. There really is something special to the car beyond all the hype and valuations. As for the future, I like the stock aspect of the car a lot so I think I would like to go the route of the ROW height (that is truly stock), and maybe 17” cup wheels at some point, but that is about it.. Our roads here can be brutal and a stiff, low car just gets beat up. I won’t out run the suspension on these roads anyway. The interior is a neat two-tone tan and black which I really like. It adds a great definition and pop to the look. Everything on the car works as it should. I did grease the tiny fan in the temp/vent unit. They did the 60K service before I bought the car so new plugs, wires, belts (including the distributor), fluids, etc. I did a buffing of the paint and had a few touchups on the seats. That’s it. Neat car.
A few photos

Thanks,

Franny
Attached Images       
Old 07-02-2015, 06:45 PM
slapin
Track Day

Car looks incredibly well sorted. Congratulations.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:56 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Very clean and beautiful cab. Congrats!!
Old 07-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Wow Franny,
Beautiful car and great introduction! It looks like this 993 will fit in quite nicely and balance out the rest of your admirable collection.

While 993's weren't available in the US until 1995, they were available as early as 1993 elsewhere. Glad to know that the car is in good hands.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:18 PM
CHJ
Instructor

Welcome Franny! Looks like a Hagarty level 1 car to me. Congratulations and have a great time- in the summer

Chuck
Old 07-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

Congratulations and beautiful car , I always love the interior combo of cashmere and black .
Enjoy in good health
Old 07-02-2015, 08:17 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

That interior looks great. Super clean! Congrats
Old 07-02-2015, 11:23 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Hi Franny welcome to the 993 club. See you Saturday at Cars and Coffee?
Old 07-03-2015, 01:25 AM
waizone
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Great looking cab. Congrats and enjoy in good health.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:16 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great, love the black carpeting. Welcome to the 993 side of things.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:07 AM
FrannyB
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Yup, planning on C&C. Should be a beautiful morning.

Franny
Old 07-03-2015, 10:08 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Lovely car, hope it brings you many years of driving pleasure!
Old 07-03-2015, 10:32 AM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful car, and someone spent a lot of time in that engine compartment.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:52 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Franny, excellent find and great intro! I dig the originality of the car-right down to the 16" wheels. As you mentioned, you'll probably want to upgrade the suspension and swap out the wheels-you will be blown away by the transformation those upgrades will make and it will significantly elevate your enjoyment of the car.

If you go with popular choices like the 17" Cup II's or 18" Twists on the wheels and choices like Bilstein HD/M030s. Koni FSD's, or Bilstein PSS10's on the suspension, you'll be in keeping with where most are with upgrades that will enhance both performance and value. I might suggest doing ARBs, front control arm bushings (Walrods), tie rods, and ball joints at the same time simply given their age at this point and since you'll have the suspension apart. Also, as you likely know already, a proper alignment done by a knowledgeable tech who works on 993's is an absolute must. As great as my suspension upgrade performed after it was done, the alignment dialed it up even more.

As for the interior, I LOVE the black carpet and cashmere seats! It's the combo I'm thinking about when I do my interior re-trim. Can you post a pic of the rear? My only concern with that combo is how the rear seats will look contrasted against the black carpet. I'd offer a couple suggestions on the interior:

-Aluminum gauge bezel trim (available from multiple sources, I got mine from Walrod)
-996 shift ****, black leather with Porsche crest and aluminum (available from Suncoast)
-Aluminum pedals (available from Vertex)
-Replace or retrim your cashmere door card inserts in black vinyl or leather

The aluminum pieces can break up the all-black dash a bit and the black inserts will contrast nicely against the cashmere door cards and will further set off your two-tone theme.
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2015, 05:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

There are actually a fair number of M718 cars in the U.S. delivered in '94 as MY95. Nice cab!

Quick Reply: An Introduction