Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Auxiliary oil cooler install in center front

Old 07-03-2015, 09:32 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the idea of a center mounted cooler, that said there doesn't appear to be much room between the aluminum bumper and body!

Looks to me that if someone backed into you hard enough to compress the shocks of the front bumper, you'd crush your oil cooler.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sure but same goes for if you own a GT3/4
Old 07-03-2015, 06:30 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,015 Posts

I wonder if simply replacing the lines to the front cooler with copper lines exposed under the rocker covers would in essence become a cooler as it would add a lot of sq. Inches of cooling transfer surface.
Anyone's thoughts on this?
Andy
Old 07-03-2015, 06:31 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyer
I like the idea of a center mounted cooler, that said there doesn't appear to be much room between the aluminum bumper and body!

Looks to me that if someone backed into you hard enough to compress the shocks of the front bumper, you'd crush your oil cooler.
That's the first thing that crossed my mind. A "tap" could tweak your cooler. A larger impact might crush the cooler and possibly introduce metal into the oil system and the engine.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
That's the first thing that crossed my mind. A "tap" could tweak your cooler. A larger impact might crush the cooler and possibly introduce metal into the oil system and the engine.
As I say all GT3 for the last few generations have been this way and RUF have been mounting them up front since 964 BTR. In fact Porsche been doing it themselves since 2.8RSR lower bumper cooler. The cooler is angled behind front bar for protection and has room to slide around 1-1.5 inches. Many collisions are not straight ahead but forint right or left fender where cooler is already factory located. I think this is a red herring. The location from a practical and efficiency perspective seems very sound, good for aero & weight distribution left to right and there are a number of quality aftermarket Sebco coolers that work nicely up there. IMO it's a nice tidy solution....
Old 07-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

I don't know why Ruf went w/ a center mount oilcooler on 993. Do they already have the 2 fender mounted coolers that most of use and then add the 3rd for extra cooling capacity?

996 & 997 use a center mount because there were already air/water coolers in the 2 front fenders, they added the 3rd air/water cooler for additional cooling
Old 07-04-2015, 06:29 PM
Michel M.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have experience with similar solution Kelly Moss Racing used on the RSR project?

In the center front, with airflow going trough chasis and out trough the hood. It does look replicable, however I admit I am not sure if there is not something about the angle of the funnel that leads the air out that is important and completely eludes me.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:35 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Kelly Moss cars place the cooler basically in the trunk... They but away the front of the trunk area in order to use a bigger and better protected cooler.

Obviously, the air flow through the cooler is also better the further back you can put the cooler exit as the air loses less velocity.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auxiliary oil cooler install in center front