Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Turbo/S rear bumper cover heat protection strips/trim installed on a NB?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 01:35 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Turbo/S rear bumper cover heat protection strips/trim installed on a NB?

My 3.8 build seems to run hotter than my stock motor cars. It came with B&B headers and their cans/tips.

After polishing the exhaust tips, it does not take long for them to discolor from heat, in fact, less than an hour. At every wash, I need to re-polish the tan heat tones away.

I believe the old cat may have been partially clogged (78k miles) and that may have contributed to the tips getting hotter, as the cat stored heat would need to radiate/dissipate somewhere. The B&B tips are longer and protrude from the bumper cover somewhat.

A new Fabspeed sport cat system was added last fall.

Soon, I'm about to add some FD lovin' and some wide ovals and am a little concerned about heat transfer from the tips to the bumper cover.

I've seen some photos of bumper cover/paint damage from heat and think for a few bucks it might be a good idea to add the protection strip trim.

So I'm wondering if anyone who has adapted the turbo/S heat protection strips to a NB bumper cover, might have some advice for the install?

It appears I'll need to modify the protection strips slightly.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Al

Old 06-29-2015, 10:23 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,018 Posts

I have lined the inside of the bumper cover with aluminium heat resistant duct tape. Just an idea.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:01 PM
MB965
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I did modify the factory Turbo protection strips. It took a lot of grinding and filing, with a little bending but I did get them to fit. I finished them off with some high temp silver paint. Not perfect but pretty close.
Mike
Attached Images   
Old 07-01-2015, 09:15 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Thank you and nice job!

For some reason I remembered a post about someone doing this, but when I ran a search I came up blank.

Any chance of a pic installed?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Old 07-02-2015, 10:00 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive always wanted these on my NB too, i liked the way they look.... gave up when i learned they wouldnt fit NB... interested to see how yours turn out Al. keep us posted.

you did a great job MB. interested to see pics from further away
Old 07-02-2015, 10:21 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Will do Kevin.

Sunset has shipped all the parts but it will take me a few weeks to finish as I'm very busy right now.

Total price for the parts including rivets and spacers was $78.

My indy has a metal bending machine and I have a machinist at my disposal. If this gets too crazy to do, I reserve the right to abort the mission.

Have a great summer!

Best,

Quick Reply: Turbo/S rear bumper cover heat protection strips/trim installed on a NB?