Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

appraisal on a 993: anyone here able to produce for a modest fee?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 08:25 AM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts
Default appraisal on a 993: anyone here able to produce for a modest fee?

With the rapid rise in value of air cooled P cars, it has become almost a requirement to recalibrate value annually on agreed value insurance policies.

There certainly are many 993 experts here, so I wonder if anyone is able to produce a legitimate appraisal suitable for this purpose for a modest fee. I certainly do not think it is necessary to have an appraiser's license, but I would imagine you would need some claim to being an expert who has assessed the car (by photos at least) and the market.

I know there are threads here that discuss recent sales to enable us to get at value, but my insurer has requested something slightly more formal. My last appraisal was just a letter on restoration shop letterhead, but paying this fee yearly is impractical.

I would like to update my coverage as soon as possible so thank you in advance for your thoughts on this.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:38 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Honestly your insurer/underwriter should know the market, especially if they are a boutique insurer. Pisses me off when people ask you to do their due diligence
Old 06-27-2015, 11:20 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rlme36
Honestly your insurer/underwriter should know the market, especially if they are a boutique insurer. Pisses me off when people ask you to do their due diligence
With all the money insurance Co. have, you'd think the bat rastards could at least perform their own due diligence for the service they provide. Apparently the bean counters (they have budget for) have advised otherwise.
After all, they are only trying to keep the rates down, for you the customer! and it has nothing to do with their bottom line.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:36 PM
geno-d
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are certainly right about the rapid increase in value of the air cooled models. I usually have my car professionally appraised every 3 years, and am 1 year away from the next one, but am thinking about going yearly given those increases. I'm entertaining changing insurance policies to an agreed to value one and the company I'm looking at, ANPAC, has a Modern Classic designation (the old Chrome policies) that requires appraisals when over $25k. My appraiser charges $200 a pop. That is a lot of dough, but given what the market has been doing in the last 2 years (HAGI-P has gone up about 50% in that time), I'm tempted to speed things up up this year and spend the extra money. Still thinking about it!
Old 06-28-2015, 09:16 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nine9six
After all, they are only trying to keep the rates down, for you the customer! and it has nothing to do with their bottom line.
I respectfully disagree.
My experience with insurance companies is they are in the business of collecting premiums, making money and denying many legitimate claims.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:27 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

I would have thought there would be at least a few folks eager to generate an expert appraisal for a modest fee. Perhaps I should have used a different section…..
Old 07-02-2015, 08:49 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paolo1
I would have thought there would be at least a few folks eager to generate an expert appraisal for a modest fee. Perhaps I should have used a different section…..
I'm looking for appraiser and would pay much more for an in-depth appraisal by a qualified appraiser.

Has your research found appraiser at any price?
Old 07-03-2015, 12:59 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

I have my PayPal account and my Magic 8 Ball. How does $500 sound?
Old 07-03-2015, 04:08 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

"Expert" as defined by who?? If I give you what I believe to be a correct value...is the insurance guy gonna take that? I don't think you can just solicit any person who considers themselves (or you consider them) to be an expert, get a number from them and have that number hold any "legal" standing......but I could be wrong.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:07 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Allen
"Expert" as defined by who??
I think an expert would be defined at least in part as a person who has special knowledge on a particular subject based on education and or experience. This person would have knowledge regarding the subject issue not generally held by a member of the general public.

It would be helpful if that person had previously been qualified to testify in court by a judge or hearing officer in his field of expertise.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:13 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ron
I think an expert would be defined at least in part as a person who has special knowledge on a particular subject based on education and or experience. This person would have knowledge regarding the subject issue not generally held by a member of the general public.

It would be helpful if that person had previously been qualified to testify in court by a judge or hearing officer in his field of expertise.
Oh. So someone like an appraiser then.

If I considered myself expert enough to throw my hat in the ring, but hadn't done such work professionally before, I would be uninterested in the scrutiny from the insurance company who wanted to know who the hell is Reddy Kilowatt and why should we believe him on the value of this dude's car. My price would have to be high enough to offset that and more. Might as well pay an appraiser.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:02 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh. So someone like an appraiser then.
No not necessarily.

Only the most qualified appraisers will be credible and taken seriously.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:54 AM
tribaltech
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm going through this myself. My insurance asked for an appraisal from a licensed appraiser in my state. I think that's what you need. The price seems to be around $200.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:30 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Appraisal of a 993

Here's a start at "Bring a Trailer", the bidding for the 97 Porsche 993 is currently (this minute), at $ 75,227, so there's a real value, and wait for the auction later this month, where a 993 is going at an auction in California, that too will be an actual number… can we not collectively, looking at actual sale prices come up with a real range n values?

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/199...993s-varioram/

My 993 C2S was professionally appraised at $ 90,000 CAN. The appraiser wanted to put it at $ 100,000 CAN, but I don't want to pay the premiums associated!

I really don't think we need appraisals, the sales numbers speak for themselves, don't you agree?

Bert
Calgary Alberta
Canada
Old 07-04-2015, 03:13 AM
geno-d
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tribaltech
I'm going through this myself. My insurance asked for an appraisal from a licensed appraiser in my state. I think that's what you need. The price seems to be around $200.
FYI, the $200 appraisal figure I stated earlier in this thread was for the Denver metropolitan area (Fort Collins), in 2013, by a professionally licensed appraiser, and the first time I had it done (2010?) it cost $250, and then reduced to $200 in the subsequent years.

Quick Reply: appraisal on a 993: anyone here able to produce for a modest fee?