Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 03:27 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my experience the RS motor mounts didn't make much of a change with the shifting. My car had about 19K miles and 17 years on it and the original motor mounts look brand new. The only difference I can tell is at idle and a slight increase in vibration mainly felt at the pedals. Not really in the shift ****. This is on a '97 turbo.

So your mileage may vary.

Johnny
Old 06-25-2015, 06:11 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
All posters have given good advice. My vote is for new motor mounts which will make a huge difference in shifting. I installed the RS mounts which are less than half the cost of the OEM mounts. Stiffer than OEM, some minimal transmission of engine noise; but a huge difference in shifting. The age of your car, not the mileage is the key. All rubber is suspect.
I went with stock motor mounts...I was told the RS mounts are rougher and will feel everything but better handling.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:34 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default START SLOW - D.I.Y.

SIMPLY - CHANGE OUT GEAR OIL AGAIN - FLUSH SLAVE - SEE D.I.Y
Bit of a Nuisance as stated herein But doable - even on your back.

Drive it a Bit first, put some miles on the Tranny Fluid - then reFlush Slave after the fluids have heated and cooled - a few cycles

two - Drive some one else's car - If Possible - check out theirs. OR

Three - Have a Porsche Mechanic drive her - Check Pedal assembly
The Linkage is afterall 20 year old parts
Some have done DIY - like Bruce 7 ?

Could be a Kinematic Lever Update Required - 1 part Of assembly
Total rebuild - its a $500 at Job at an Indie

TJ
Old 06-25-2015, 08:06 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Bobby, can you do this with a partial drop, or does the motor have to come out?
I know you're gonna say its much easier with the motor out...What motor/trans work wouldn't be!
Unlike earlier 911 the engine does not have to come out to remove the transmission or service the clutch. These items can be removed from below. Considerably fewer hours involved.
Andy
Old 06-26-2015, 01:16 PM
pozzello
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As suggested by several of you I'll start by bleeding the clutch slave and change the motor mounts (I'll probably stick to stock mounts), and possibly a RS transmission mount. Thank you all for the great suggestions !

In my original post I mentioned 2 problems, the notchy gearbox (not notchy clutch pedal) and jerky gear changes. After cleaning the ISV (I used White Lightening Clean Streak bike degreaser - amazing stuff) the jerkiness is all but gone - is this possible or is it just in my head ?? I also changed gas to Shell 91 octane without ethanol which probably also had an effect on the timing...

I won't get to the mounts for another week or two but I'll keep everyone posted :-)

Paul
Old 06-26-2015, 02:59 PM
pozzello
Intermediate

So I checked my engine mounts and exhaust height - how do they look (I'm thinking they're toast...) ?

Last edited by pozzello; 06-26-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:02 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 1,099 Posts

... mispost
Old 06-28-2015, 03:49 PM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts

Its hard to tell if the motor mounts are shot by looking at a pix. See if you can get a finger in between the mount. If you can, they are sagging. If you said you wanted to change the trans mount to an RS style, that is not an easy job. The trans mount is a press fit. It requires some type of tool to press it in. You can probably remove the old one by carefully removing the rubber and then collapsing the shell then knock it out. Like I said, it is not easy. I did mine with the transmission out of the car using a hydraulic press. I remember thinking that this job would suck if attempting it with the trans hanging in the car. I believe the RS motor mounts are less expensive than the factory hydraulic mounts. There is a company that sells knock off RS mounts for approx. 118 for the pair. You still need washers and long bolts to mount RS as they are a different arrangement than stock. This will firm things up a little. If the input shaft has rusted or corroded from sitting ( 27k equals a lot of sitting) simply driving it should work itself in.

I would change gear oil, flush and bleed clutch actuating system and then drive it. If you want to change parts, I would consider the RS motor mounts before the trans mount based on ease of installation. Also note, there is a company that makes a trans mount insert that is installed in addition to the stock trans mount. This part is expensive for what it is ( 130 dollars iirc) but it is priced based on the cost of an RS mount ( near $300) and ease of installation.

I just recently did all this work, so my reference point is accurate.

Good luck
Old 06-28-2015, 05:41 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 408 Posts

[QUOTE=pozzello;12388108]So I checked my engine mounts and exhaust height - how do they look (I'm thinking they're toast...) ?

[/QUOTE

Looks low, but only way to know for sure is to slide a jack under the engine and see if the exhaust tips rise up when jacking. If so you're definitely ready.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:57 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Foxman hit the nail on the head. Jack it up, even just slightly, on the motor block spline (with a hockey puck cushion or else), and see how far everything moves. Either way, motor mounts are a maintenance item and should be changed out if they are factory after all these years or after substantial mileage has been put on a set. The Wevo blacks are cheap, quiet, and cheaper to maintain with the swappable pillows.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:05 PM
pozzello
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Foxman;12392451]
Originally Posted by pozzello
So I checked my engine mounts and exhaust height - how do they look (I'm thinking they're toast...) ?

[/QUOTE

Looks low, but only way to know for sure is to slide a jack under the engine and see if the exhaust tips rise up when jacking. If so you're definitely ready.

Good suggestion - I'll try to get around to it tonight !

:-)
Old 07-01-2015, 04:30 PM
pozzello
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Foxman

So last night I jacked up the engine and the tips rise right away (no slack). All the pictures of worn engine mounts look 'extended/slack' like mine but they've all been photographed already removed from the car. New engine mounts (unmounted) don't have any gap but again maybe they extend after being installed... though if that were the case the tips would move up when jacking the engine.

Since my passenger side one is 'oily' on the bottom and it's a cheap fix I'll install new ones and take pictures of what new installed engine mounts look like to settle this once and for all :-)
Old 07-01-2015, 09:36 PM
CHJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pozzello
So last night I jacked up the engine and the tips rise right away (no slack). All the pictures of worn engine mounts look 'extended/slack' like mine but they've all been photographed already removed from the car. New engine mounts (unmounted) don't have any gap but again maybe they extend after being installed... though if that were the case the tips would move up when jacking the engine.

Since my passenger side one is 'oily' on the bottom and it's a cheap fix I'll install new ones and take pictures of what new installed engine mounts look like to settle this once and for all :-)
Are they $800?

Chuck
Old 07-01-2015, 10:39 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

For genuine C2 mounts, yes. Well, probably more like $700 less shipping from a discount source like Sunset. You may consider the C4 or RS mounts if you want to keep with genuine parts.

You'll find a lot of happy folks with aftermarket mounts as well - Wevos or the new Rennline tunable ones look excellent.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:42 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

The RS mounts are fine-they aren't "rough" as mentioned above. They will certainly improve over shot stock. The only NVH on mine is when I run ac. I can hear a faint whir when the compressor cycles. Factory parts at a decent price.

Quick Reply: Transmission problems