Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Wind deflector on Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 01:03 AM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone verify if the 95's have a different windstop than the the 96 and up? Part number wise.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:17 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I'd be very surprised if they are different. Should be the same.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:48 PM
henkinc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default boot cover for 993 cab FS

Have to agree with Howdy 993. Besides the elegant look, the cover helps maintain that expensive cab top. When I traded my 993 for my recently acquired 997.2 S cab, I kept the OEM boot cover. I am taking offers. OEM list price is a rip off at $2300. Will take MUCH less than that. Any interest, send email or if you prefer a PM.

Charlie
Old 05-26-2016, 05:13 AM
KeinWasser
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey 993 aficionados: Looking for some advice. The first time I attached my wind screen to my '97, I didn't realize the cabrio top frame was missing the small "ball pin" that allows the screen to articulate when the top closes. So, when I closed the top, the frame caught the deflector and snapped the arm. After years of looking on the secondary market, I found a used wind deflector from a '95 cab. I installed the missing ball pin in the frame for the soft top (cannot believe it was a $6 part from the factory). The '95 windscreen fits fine and clamps into the ball pin. However, with the fabric flap zippered to the headliner, when I attempt to close the top, the windscreen falls out of the frame once the top moves 2-3 inches from the full down position. Cannot figure this one out - the factory part # is the same for 1995 - 1998 993s, and the original wind deflector for my "97 has the same markings as the one from the '95 model that I bought used. BTW, the owner's manual has precious little info about use and operation of the deflector - it does not even state whether the flap should remain attached/zippered to the headliner when closing the top. Any advice or help ??
Old 05-26-2016, 08:13 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

First in order to get more advice here you will need to post a larger picture of your avatar.

There is a red plastic locking cap that may be missing or partially broken. I had the same problem as you and it took me a long time to figure it out.

Here are a couple of pics . .
Attached Images   
Old 05-26-2016, 12:37 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

As Al mentioned, it's not unusual for the red security lever/cap to break off.

Also, you can/should put the flap on the other side of the screen when putting the roof up for an extended period of time That way the aforementioned screen is completely covered, flat becomes part of a headliner. And the flap holds the windstop securely in place.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:52 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

My 95 Cab did the same thing and I found that it needs to be pivoted from the upright position to the down position. The zipper stays connected and the roof should go up fine and the windscreen will end up horizontal above the front seats.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:20 AM
KeinWasser
AutoX

The locking cap for the wind deflector arm is intact and fine. It slips onto the ball pin and closes in place. No problem there, it only when the top starts to close, the passenger side of the deflector falls out of the frame of the top. Photo attached of the plastic locking cap.
Question: Why is a larger avatar needed to get advice from fellow 993'ers?

Last edited by KeinWasser; 05-27-2016 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old 05-27-2016, 05:57 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by KeinWasser
The locking cap for the wind deflector arm is intact and fine. It slips onto the ball pin and closes in place. No problem there, it only when the top starts to close, the passenger side of the deflector falls out of the frame of the top. Photo attached of the plastic locking cap.
Question: Why is a larger avatar needed to get advice from fellow 993'ers?

Yes, that's exactly what mine was doing. It was properly installed and would pop out of the passenger side after 2-3" of travel. The solution was to pivot the windscreen down to its horizontal position above the rear seats before activating the roof. Then it worked perfectly. This was my cure and my not be for everyone's situation but something to try if you're not already pivoting the windscreen down. It needs to be down anyways otherwise it would be pointed downward into the drivers head once the roof was up.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:45 PM
mikerosy
Cruisin'

My wind deflector would not only disengage when operating the top but also during driving. The driver's side arm would slip right out.

You need to bend the metal clip inside the bracket back to its original shape. The metal clip's tension keeps the arm in place.

Last edited by mikerosy; 05-29-2016 at 02:27 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:53 PM
CHJ
Instructor

I just received mine and I'm not sure how to install it. Is there a video or pictures of it being installed? The one I have does not seem to have the little ball socket covered by a safety latch, it has two spring loaded pins.

Thanks in advance.

ChuckJ
Old 09-16-2016, 05:06 PM
Rockit
Racer

In the picture above that pin needs to be flush, down on top. I had to hammer mine down with a punch, brand new. That pin fits in the grove on the wind stop.

CHJ...did you get the wind stop used or new?

It comes with the brackets you bolt on the roof..just one bolt on each side.

One smooth round end goes on the passenger side, you just slide it on. The arrow side you put in where the red arrow on the bracket lines up with the red arrow on the wind stop. you hold the red button down when you do that.

The wind stop should not move from side to side, if it does take a punch like I did and move that pin down, you see on the above post. Mine also had the spring not in the right position on the red button from that factory, I took that apart in 1 min and fixed it.

Last is the little arm and ball, just slip that on..male and female and slide the red cap over to lock it.

PM if you want, I'll give you my cell and help you.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:43 PM
CHJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rockit
In the picture above that pin needs to be flush, down on top. I had to hammer mine down with a punch, brand new. That pin fits in the grove on the wind stop.

CHJ...did you get the wind stop used or new?

It comes with the brackets you bolt on the roof..just one bolt on each side.

One smooth round end goes on the passenger side, you just slide it on. The arrow side you put in where the red arrow on the bracket lines up with the red arrow on the wind stop. you hold the red button down when you do that.

The wind stop should not move from side to side, if it does take a punch like I did and move that pin down, you see on the above post. Mine also had the spring not in the right position on the red button from that factory, I took that apart in 1 min and fixed it.

Last is the little arm and ball, just slip that on..male and female and slide the red cap over to lock it.

PM if you want, I'll give you my cell and help you.
I bought it new and the brand name is Windschott. I get the feeling I'm missing some parts to attach it and it didn't come with instructions. It does, however, say it is for a 95-98 993.

Chuck
Name:  windschott.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  115.7 KB
Old 09-16-2016, 05:53 PM
CHJ
Instructor

It comes with two nuts with holes in them and the only thing I can think of is you have to drill into the plastic caps that access the emergency release and secure the nut to the caps, then install the pin into the caps. The pins are spring loaded so it should stay centered, but I hate drilling hole before I'm sure.:-)

ChuckJ
Old 09-16-2016, 06:31 PM
Rockit
Racer

I've never seen that, its not Porsche.

The 95 I was told when I ordered mine from Porsche that there could be two different ones, they had to use my vin.

Sorry I cant help with that one. BTW the Porsche one is not built that good, hope that one is build better. Call the manufacture.

Quick Reply: Wind deflector on Cab?