993 Carfax - Accident...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 02:30 AM
agonzaga36
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Carfax - Accident...

Hey guys,

I'm in search of a 993 and wanted to get your input on this matter. Found a 993 and according to the carfax report it looks like there was 3 owners. Unfortunately, the car was in an accident within the first year of ownership. First owner kept the car for 8 years, then sold it to the second owner who kept it for 3 years, and then finally to the last (3rd) owner who kept it for another 8 years.

What are your thoughts about that accident in the first year? Since carfax doesn't provide additional info on accidents, its hard to tell how major it was. From my analysis of the situation, I'm thinking that the accident was not that bad because it sold 2 times and each of the owners kept the car for a while.

I know I have to do a PPI (which I plan to), but that accident is keeping me wondering..if its even worth a PPI.

Would appreciate your thoughts..

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2015, 07:32 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

If the color, miles, options and condition are what you like, it's worth to have a PPI. You're right, if it was something major POs wouldn't have kept it as long.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:53 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
If the color, miles, options and condition are what you like, it's worth to have a PPI. You're right, if it was something major POs wouldn't have kept it as long.
I agree. These cars are becoming harder to find and with them aging, it is also harder to find them without some kind of history - unless willing to pay a premium. I would not rule out a PPI. The current owner has no knowledge? At least you know there is something to look for in the PPI. If they have a paint meter they should be able to determine where the damage occurred and then analyze the quality of the repair. A lot of accidents will not appear on a Carfax so prior accident damage is something that you may run into with these aging cars whether on the Carfax or not. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:29 PM
agonzaga36
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myflat6
I agree. These cars are becoming harder to find and with them aging, it is also harder to find them without some kind of history - unless willing to pay a premium. I would not rule out a PPI. The current owner has no knowledge? At least you know there is something to look for in the PPI. If they have a paint meter they should be able to determine where the damage occurred and then analyze the quality of the repair. A lot of accidents will not appear on a Carfax so prior accident damage is something that you may run into with these aging cars whether on the Carfax or not. Good luck.
Thanks guys. I'm getting more comfortable with doing a PPI on this car. still have some jitter bugs though..

anybody else have input on this matter?
Old 05-22-2015, 02:48 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts

I bought a car that hit a nice soft jaywalker. He still busted the windshield and crumpled the bonnet and damaged the bumper cover even though it was a 15mph accident. He got a broken leg for his troubles and looks both ways in future when crossing the road most likely. As the repair work was documented and I picked the car up 8 years after the incident happened from the original owner it really didn't bother me. I was waved off other cars that had clean carfax's but dodgy history's so I'd rather the devil I knew.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:18 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

What kind of discount would you expect on a 993 with a non frame damaging non airbag deploying mild accident history?
Old 05-22-2015, 03:26 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Paolo1
What kind of discount would you expect on a 993 with a non frame damaging non airbag deploying mild accident history?
Not much if the accident was minor and fixed properly. Also if its not on car fax.
If its on car fax, then it might be a big deal to some. Maybe 10 to 15%
Just my $.02
Old 05-22-2015, 08:51 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
If its on car fax, then it might be a big deal to some. Maybe 10 to 15%
+1 especially when it's not documented.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:52 PM
Pr William
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be far more standoffish if the accident involved the rear quarters because the back end is far more involved to fix correctly. It would be useful to determine where the bodywork was done and the quality of the repair.

Quick Reply: 993 Carfax - Accident...