993 appreciates $7k in 30 days?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 04:21 PM
GlengarryGR
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by eeterp
Are you in MD or GA?
I lived in Silver Spring,MD for past 13 years but just moved to Alpharetta GA 10 months ago. And there is a good chance I'll be relocating Bloomington, IL in a month for job offer.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:52 PM
GlengarryGR
Rennlist Member

Default Garage doors

Originally Posted by simpsoap
How about a picture of those garage doors, those look awesome! -Andy
Pics on next post: about the doors
GARAGE DOORS
Ok...I should start another post for these garage doors but hell I made them about 8 years ago. Very easy if you have a good table saw (cast iron table/wings). I drew the plans myself if anyone would like them pm me. No nails, all mortise and tenon & rabbit cuts. What made this a 3-weekend build was to order the wood planks in tongue and groove so I only had to fab the frame wood. Wrought iron purchased on web cheap. Western Red Cedar was not expensive and is used due to it's light weight, no warping at all over time, and has natural pesticides. Originally stained; hung them and the home looked like I was ready to host a Medieval Manor meal for the neighbors....so I painted them white.

Someone would charge about $10k for custom built 2-door garage. I had 4-doors there...and I built them for about $900 for wood plus openers $500 and about !150 for hardware . Had a blast doing it too. Yes they do open "barn style" - and I installed standard gate openers so they could open with a button. After we put in new hardwood floors inside the house...I paid the installer $1700 to put the 35-year old oak that was to be thrown out inside the garage...sanded...then put 7 coats of poly on it. I later knocked out the 9ft roof to expose the A-Frame (reinforced it) to be able to have the height to install a storage lift.

About Western Red Cedar
Naturally Weather and Pest Repellant
Western Red Cedar’s natural resistance to decay, moisture, and insect damage has made it the premier material for both interior and exterior home use. Cedar fibers in the heartwood contain natural preservatives that are toxic to decay-causing fungi. Properly finished, Western Red Cedar will last for decades in even the harshest of environments. These characteristics make it the ideal choice for a surface exposed to sun, rain, heat, and cold year round.

Strongest Among Softwood Species
Western Red Cedar has twice the stability of the most commonly used softwoods. It lies flat, stays straight, and holds fasteners tightly. Western Red Cedar produces long, lightweight lengths of timber with a fine straight grain and uniform texture that make it easy to cut, saw, and nail with common tools.

Last edited by GlengarryGR; 05-21-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:22 PM
GlengarryGR
Rennlist Member

Default Garage Door Pics

Here are the photos of the garage doors I made after getting quotes that were way too high:
Attached Images           
Old 05-21-2015, 05:29 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Awesome DIY work, wow, came out better than likely any 'professional' would've done!

QQ on your 4-post lift - what brand is it, and did you need to have a minimum (e.g. 5") floor thickness for it? Something I need to look into soon! TIA
Old 05-21-2015, 05:30 PM
GlengarryGR
Rennlist Member

Default Cayman S

Here is the Cayman less the cheesy wheels and red things on the side mirrors. I thought this was a great set up with the blue film on the headlights. Sold when I had two sons...need for back seat prompted me to get the first 993.
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2015, 05:51 PM
GlengarryGR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
4-post lift - what brand is it, and did you need to have a minimum (e.g. 5") floor thickness for it? Something I need to look into soon! TIA
There are a myriad of brands that all come from a few factories in China for about $1800 on eBay...just search car lift storage. It does come with 3 pans including one w/oil drain plug. The quality is pretty good and has lasted all these years. I decided to get one after a friend (who has 3) said he had no issues with his for 11 years. The quality is not as good as say...the Back Yard Buddy at well over $5k, but good enough. My floors were 5" thick. One big decision is the 4-post vs. the style with arms to lift car up so you can work on tires easily. When I swap tires for say...an autocross event....I need to put the jack on one of the ramps. But the 4-post comes with wheel casters and I've wheeled that thing around with two P-cars on it. It weights just under a ton and you will need a good buddy to help install. Took me and a friend an entire day. Finally, I'll have to say this was one upgrade to my house that fetched a lot of the investment back. The buyer of that house I sold last year love the garage and was the reason he picked mine over others (he said). Just a little advice to help wifey buy-in if you decide to invest in a man cave...mine was only 24X24 but fit my budget.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:09 PM
CHJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From a 45 year amature furniture maker, congratulations on a Marvelous job!

Chuck
Old 05-21-2015, 08:04 PM
Grapeape
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Those doors look great and the garage set up I want as a second away from the grease and sparks flying from grinder and spray paint. Did you consider keeping the doors natural wood color with oil or clear top coat?
Old 05-21-2015, 09:29 PM
GlengarryGR
Rennlist Member

Thanks Chuck. Would you believe all my wood-working skills came from high school? I'm 55. LOL
Old 05-21-2015, 09:31 PM
GlengarryGR
Rennlist Member

I did consider that Grapeape; and since the home needed new siding I was going to keep the doors natural (or stained) and get coffee colored siding. In the end, the white home "fit" this old 70s community better. It was a sin to paint them white but I really had too. Even if I went with the brown family siding, I think the natural color would not look as good. Stain brings out the wood grain.....
Old 05-21-2015, 10:27 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Hey Glengarry PM'd you.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:13 AM
simpsoap
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GlengarryGR
Thanks Chuck. Would you believe all my wood-working skills came from high school? I'm 55. LOL
Those doors are just absolutely gorgeous. WOW. I'm very impressed!

-Andy
Old 05-22-2015, 08:11 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GlengarryGR
Originally Posted by me
And so I bought a 997.2 (manual) which turned out to be a mistake.
Are you saying the mistake was due to the fact that a 997.2 purchased a few years ago lost about $15k in market value? That's the car I want.
No, it was a mistake in that I never really cared for the car. It lacked character. Oh, and yes, I lost a bundle on it too, but that was just icing.

Originally Posted by CHJ
From a 45 year amature furniture maker, congratulations on a Marvelous job!
I haven't been doing it nearly as long as Chuck, but congrats as well, the doors look great. Thanks for posting more pics.

And I love the reclaimed floors in the garage!
Old 05-22-2015, 09:34 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I think you just underpriced your car to begin with. You won't find a 993 for sale in the low 30s these days unless there's something seriously wrong with the car.
They are still out there. I am seriously close to pulling the trigger on a 96 cab with 41k miles full records, maintenance up to date and original but tired paint for $35k PPI shows all it needs is a new top and some TLC. I figure about $4k for the top so all in for $39k. Just have to figure out where to keep it.

BTW GlengarryGR I love the doors you are true craftsman
Old 05-22-2015, 12:33 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Cabs' values are lower than coupes. And as you said, the car needs work.

Quick Reply: 993 appreciates $7k in 30 days?