Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

1st Track Day. Some Thoughts from a Rookie

Old 05-18-2015, 12:45 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 1st Track Day. Some Thoughts from a Rookie

purchased the car several years ago, yesterday was the first time i put her on the track....you seasoned cats can dispense with this thread as it's probably par for the course for you guys.

1. i have a newfound respect for those who do this on a regular basis. if you've never done this before and you think you're good and think you're fast?...being in your own car on a racetrack...to me, it's the difference between watching a fight on tv and being in one. it ain't the same.

2. ego checked at the door. i'm grown. when i met my instructor i said "hey, this has gotta be somewhat unnerving for you...i'm an unknown person, in an unknown car, with unknown driving abilities, so i'm not looking to try set lap records or anything close to it. i'm here to LISTEN and learn."

3. if you bring a torque wrench (you should) don't forget the SOCKET! (rookie mistake #1)

4. your tires, and pressures are critical. have good rubber.

5. i spent my sessions trying to learn the correct line around the track. it doesn't happen via osmosis. by the end of the day, i was much better...which brings me to point....

6. rookie mistake #2. when the course marshall asked me if i had a "transponder" i said..."huh? what's that?" pick up a transponder. that's how they time and grid you, so you know how much you're improving or not.

7. if someone is on your 6 in a passing zone, give a point. i received 3 point-by's and gave 12 or 15.

8. having an instructor in the right seat, is invaluable. be cool and considerate. my instructor, unfortunately, was racing right after our sessions. so i came in a lap or two early, to give him time to get to his car and get on the grid.

9. these little cars are fantastic. drove 110 miles to the track, ran the car all day, drove 110 miles back home. car didn't miss a beat. how many 20 year old cars with 120k+ miles can do that!

10. my car is far more capable than me. that's how i like it, and i want it that way. there's a cushion and margin of safety in that set up.

11. you will make friends. people are friendly and helpful...i.e., the tech station torqued my lug nuts because i was forgetful.

12. this can get addicting and $$$$$$$$$$$

13. have someone go with you to the track...to take pics and for support.

14. extra credit if you can ID the porsche "celebrity" driver in one of the pics

15. do not forgo trackday insurance. there were a few dust clouds throughout the day. if you go off and muck up the car, the few hundred for insurance will seem like a pittance.

16. lots of cars out there, but not 993s. there was only one other 993 that i saw...a silver carrera S.

17. my apologies for the crappy iPhone pics...
Attached Images          

Last edited by FLYT993; 05-21-2015 at 03:51 AM. Reason: edit content. typo
Old 05-18-2015, 12:51 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Nice! Looks like you had a blast!

Extra credit for spotting the celebrity? That's easy. The celebrity in the photo is Chris (Darin's kid) over at West End Alignment. Magnus shmagnus pffft
Old 05-18-2015, 12:58 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

thanks goofball....it was one of those defining life experiences.

remember, i said celebrity "driver"....clearly not magnus...that is too obvious.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:15 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you made it out!

I'll speak to event organization on points 6 & 8. No way, no how do you care about lap times as a "rookie." It is absolutely freaking incredible that anyone can say they're measuring progress by going from (estimated) 2:00 --> 1:50 --> 1:40 at Willow. Which brings me to you having to sacrifice your track time so an instructor can make grid. Failure on the organizers part for not putting students first.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:49 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

ken, it was a great experience. nerve racking an exhilarating at the same time. everyone was cool and supportive. my instructor qualified on pole for his race, so that was good, and i didn't mind coming in a lap early, i had four cracks at the track. he told me to YouTube jack olsen's video about driving willow.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:13 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Celebrity driver - clearly the Stig, standing beside Magnus
Old 05-18-2015, 03:51 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Which turn was your favorite and which made you pucker the most?
Love Willow...
Old 05-18-2015, 04:10 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

T2 was my favorite, coming downhill into T5 and T9 provided the clench factor
Old 05-18-2015, 04:13 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Celebrity driver - clearly the Stig, standing beside Magnus
lol!

4th pic, behind #428 with his back to the camera, i didn't even know i had him in the shot until i looked closer and saw the red hair.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:36 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Nice write-up...Glad you had a good time. Re: Your #6 Different schools, different procedures. I wouldn't necessarily agree that faster lap times indicate improvement. It's not always true. I've seen a lot of fast drivers who weren't necessarily good drivers. Also, some schools prohibit timing because it's an indication of "racing" and that may not be allowed by their insurance. Work on "the line" and smoothness. Faster lap times will come as a by-product.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:16 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Which brings me to you having to sacrifice your track time so an instructor can make grid. Failure on the organizers part for not putting students first.
+993 ...you're a paying CUSTOMER!

Lol T5, downhill off camber, is easy to get out of shape until you learn a respect for what that corner offers

Nice write-up...Glad you had a good time. Re: Your #6 Different schools, different procedures. I wouldn't necessarily agree that faster lap times indicate improvement. It's not always true. I've seen a lot of fast drivers who weren't necessarily good drivers. Also, some schools prohibit timing because it's an indication of "racing" and that may not be allowed by their insurance. Work on "the line" and smoothness. Faster lap times will come as a by-product.
If its smooth, it moves; if it flows, it goes...
Keith Code; Twist of the Wrist

Last edited by nine9six; 05-18-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:26 PM
saneproductions
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience! There is some really great advice here.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:28 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
sage advice. it's similar to scholarship, to wit, don't worry about getting an "A", pay attention and study and the grade will be there.

in fairness to the course marshall he probably didn't know i was a "virgin" on the track, and since everyone else had one he was probably wondering why i was the oddball. for the logicians out there, you'll probably think...'well, THAT should have been his clue' lol!

all in all a great day. my goal was simple, have fun your "first time", don't hurt yourself or the car by being an idiot (part of intelligence is knowing and respecting one's own limits, no ***** overtaking the brain) and get back home safely.

mission accomplished!

Last edited by FLYT993; 05-18-2015 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-18-2015, 01:38 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by saneproductions
Thanks for sharing your experience! There is some really great advice here.

anytime. this forum is a small brotherhood.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:02 PM
esc911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great thread, lots of good info. I had my first track day experience last year in my 993 at Buttonwillow. The 993 was just a blast and was a good intro to track days for me. Sadly for me, I sold the 993 after 2 more DE's and moved onto a 997 gt3. Still miss my 993 though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st Track Day. Some Thoughts from a Rookie