993 Forum 1995-1998

Are these Porsche Hub Caps Original?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 06:21 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
The first plastic caps showed up as the "turbo" and "4S" caps around late 96-97. When the Boxsters started showing up the crest caps became plastic too. I don't remember plastic caps shipping on 993's until around 98. The non-color crest caps (standard) were aluminum too.

Grind back these two rivets to restore the crests and caps then use JB weld to put them back on, they are worth it.
Also I believe you will find the "triangle P" stamp on the back of the crest.
Any idea what color red was used? One set of mine are worn like the ones shown. Would like to touch them up but will only do so if the color is right. there seems to be some translucency to the paint.

So is the part number correct 99336130300 for metal vs the 99336130307 plastic. Yet the pricing seems to be reversed at $23.64 for metal and $48.76 for plastic.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:41 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Any idea what color red was used? One set of mine are worn like the ones shown. Would like to touch them up but will only do so if the color is right. there seems to be some translucency to the paint.

So is the part number correct 99336130300 for metal vs the 99336130307 plastic. Yet the pricing seems to be reversed at $23.64 for metal and $48.76 for plastic.
No idea on the color but I would bet that Jim D. would know. If you find out please let me know as both sets of mine could use some love.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:13 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Calvin, the OEM Cup II wheels on my very early April-'94 made '95 cab came with plastic caps (painted color crest).

I do have a spare set of non-painted metal caps identical to the ones Anthony mentiones here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-whee...mtr&rmvSB=true but all 4 of them have "Made in Italy" stickers. So, are these OEM caps for D90s? Would be cool to paint those, actually.

I also have a spare set of 993.361.303.10 caps with forever-detaching colored crest (plastic cap, plastic crest). Would be great to be able to source some crests of the right size to glue back on. Are they even available separately? There's a bit of a description of assorted 993.361.303 caps here, though it's not very clear: http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustratio...ghlight=179399
Old 05-20-2015, 04:14 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Nile, that's interesting. Did you spec the car with the optional colored crests? I recall a concave plastic cap that had a color laminate that came later then that year. Do you still have your window sticker, it was a relatively expensive up charge for color and the ones I remember we're like the OP's. Standard was a cast aluminum 1 piece that was black. You could also order the metal colored caps through the tequipment program.

Your metal caps are a bit before my time, maybe 89-90. I haven't seen enough of them to tell for sure. They do look it though.

The OEM caps had the same made in Germany sticker we see on our rotor hats.
OP's had this sticker on the back side;
Old 05-20-2015, 11:05 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Question for you guys: I just received my CoA from Porsche, and I do not see the cabs under listed options. Per PO (and from what I can attest), car is 100% original with no modifications of aftermarket products/substitutions I can detect (still factory wheels and hence I believe these are the factory caps that came with the car).

Would the Porsche Crest caps be listed under the options list, or would these have been standard for a (late build) 98 C4S? (I have the window sticker which too like the CoA does not formally list the caps) TIA
Old 05-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
Question for you guys: I just received my CoA from Porsche, and I do not see the cabs under listed options. Per PO (and from what I can attest), car is 100% original with no modifications of aftermarket products/substitutions I can detect (still factory wheels and hence I believe these are the factory caps that came with the car).

Would the Porsche Crest caps be listed under the options list, or would these have been standard for a (late build) 98 C4S? (I have the window sticker which too like the CoA does not formally list the caps) TIA
The CoA's are less than detailed, and in some instances, less than accurate.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:49 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Option code for caps is XD4. What does your manual and or Sticker under the frunk lid say? If XD4 is not there than more than likely the car did not come from the factory that way. Although who is to say the 1st owner didn't have them installed by the dealer prior to delivery?

I also agree CofA's can be misleading and many times incorrect. I have friend who has a CofA that is clearly wrong and states he has a CD changer which the car was clearly not supplied with since the tub needs to be modified to mount it. The certs are not there so it never had it.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:08 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
The CoA's are less than detailed, and in some instances, less than accurate.
I am discovering that as I read mine, MSRP is clearly wrong...

Originally Posted by cobalt
Option code for caps is XD4. What does your manual and or Sticker under the frunk lid say? If XD4 is not there than more than likely the car did not come from the factory that way. Although who is to say the 1st owner didn't have them installed by the dealer prior to delivery?

I also agree CofA's can be misleading and many times incorrect. I have friend who has a CofA that is clearly wrong and states he has a CD changer which the car was clearly not supplied with since the tub needs to be modified to mount it. The certs are not there so it never had it.
Looking at the frunk/manual label, no formal "XD4" option.

As you guys mentioned, I am discovering how the CoA can be 'wrong'. The MSRP listed on the CoA is...$110,060. My window sticker is $82K and change... Maybe they think my C4S is a TT Interestingly they list details such as "Bridgestone Tires"...

I ordered the detailed 'options list' report from www.pod-online.fr, it shows a myriad of things, including "Anti Theft Device for Wheels", but not formally anything about the center caps
Old 05-20-2015, 11:49 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
Hey Nile, that's interesting. Did you spec the car with the optional colored crests? I recall a concave plastic cap that had a color laminate that came later then that year. Do you still have your window sticker, it was a relatively expensive up charge for color and the ones I remember we're like the OP's.
The Cup IIs I had with those caps came fro the original owner of my first cab. I believe that car had a code on under-hood sticker for colored crested caps. Don't have the window sticker, but will try to find pics of the underhood sticker (both the wheels and teh car are long gone).

Your metal caps are a bit before my time, maybe 89-90. I haven't seen enough of them to tell for sure. They do look it though.
I actually thing that the metal ones I have are much newer, but can't tell. They look almost unused, the stickers show some wear.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:56 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand

Take a look at your underhood sticker. The sticker codes are here: https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/993/ Specifically, the colored caps would be 445, C89 or XD4 (I can't vouch for complete accuracy of this, but it appears to be fairly accurate).
Old 05-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
Take a look at your underhood sticker. The sticker codes are here: https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/993/ Specifically, the colored caps would be 445, C89 or XD4 (I can't vouch for complete accuracy of this, but it appears to be fairly accurate).
Thx Nile. looked at the frunk sticker (as well as my maintenance booklet that lists the same info) and none of the 3 option codes are listed, so remains a bit of a mystery, perhaps as suggested these were done upon delivery and/or a dealer-installed option.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:09 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm... I would be surprised if these were dealer-installed option (as they had to replace an existing part, which is a bit unusual). But maybe someone would know for sure.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:50 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Could it be that at one time the OE ones had metal attachment like the original caps on my previous 80' vintage Carrera and now the OE ones are plastic? I seem to remember the metal caps made rattling sounds when they got old. Then again on the period wheels the cap fit over the hub hole, not flush like on 993 wheels.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:29 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nile13
OEM would have a different attachment scheme (plastic abs instead of metal round piece) and would have stamped Porsche part numbers. Tom's pictures above explain in in excruciating detail. Generally with Porsche, as with most German automotive manufacturers, if you can't find a part number on the back of a plastic part somewhere, it's not an OEM part. You can also generally tell from the front of the cap as it doesn't have the two small holes. The OEM caps do.
+1
Old 05-22-2015, 08:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I find the metal caps no matter what i do will spin in the rear wheels when the turbo breaks the back tires loose at 5000 rpm. It always bothered me. Not sure how because when you go to move them by hand they are impossible to move and require me to remove the wheel to set them to the vale stem again.

Quick Reply: Are these Porsche Hub Caps Original?