Are these Porsche Hub Caps Original?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 09:46 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
Here are pictures of my 964 caps. I know for a fact that the ones on my 964 are original, everything on that car is 100% original. I know that these metal 964 caps are NLA.

And a copy of the window sticker showing these caps as an additional option.

Here are the caps that came on my 993. They are identical to the ones in the picture the OP posted. The only difference between these and the ones on my 964 is that the PORSCHE lettering is black instead of gold. When I got my 993 it also was 100% original, I would highly doubt the previous owner would have changed out the caps for knockoffs. He wouldn't even put non-N spec tires on the car.

And I, again, say "prove it". So far there is no proof that Porsche had metal caps with this type of attachment ring for either 964, 993 or any later cars (I have zero idea of caps prior to that). A proof would be an actual reference to definite OEM part number with pictures. Saying "everything on that 964 was OEM therefore these caps are OEM" doesn't hold water, sorry. BTW, "rim cap with Porsche crest" usually meant non-colored Porsche crest. If colored, the sticker, at least on 993s, specifically stated "colored Porsche crest". Not sure if that was the case on 964s, but might be an explanation of non-OEM caps if the PO simply wanted pretty colored crests. I certainly do on my yellow cab.

Here's an interesting reference: http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/opt...e_caps_porsche There are caps and part numbers for all of them. Not sure how accurate they are, but none say "metal". The 4 that say "metallic" al have the two holes in them and don't really look like metal to me.

BTW, none of this meant to be disrespect, just so it's clear. Just trying to find the truth that us "our there". I, btw, have a set of metal caps with backs and weld tacks (if they are weld tacks, not sure) identical to yours above with stickers "Made in Italy", just to be sure that they are not OEM.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I've no proof, but I too have colored center cap crests. I believe them to be original to the car.

Originally Posted by nile13
And I, again, say "prove it". So far there is no proof that Porsche had metal caps with this type of attachment ring for either 964, 993 or any later cars (I have zero idea of caps prior to that). A proof would be an actual reference to definite OEM part number with pictures. Saying "everything on that 964 was OEM therefore these caps are OEM" doesn't hold water, sorry. BTW, "rim cap with Porsche crest" usually meant non-colored Porsche crest. If colored, the sticker, at least on 993s, specifically stated "colored Porsche crest". Not sure if that was the case on 964s, but might be an explanation of non-OEM caps if the PO simply wanted pretty colored crests. I certainly do on my yellow cab.

Here's an interesting reference: http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/opt...e_caps_porsche There are caps and part numbers for all of them. Not sure how accurate they are, but none say "metal". The 4 that say "metallic" al have the two holes in them and don't really look like metal to me.

BTW, none of this meant to be disrespect, just so it's clear. Just trying to find the truth that us "our there". I, btw, have a set of metal caps with backs and weld tacks (if they are weld tacks, not sure) identical to yours above with stickers "Made in Italy", just to be sure that they are not OEM.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:53 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

In my best checkout clerk voice: "Metal or plastic"?

Ed, if you are talking about your Cup 2s, they came with optional color crested caps. Plastic ones. With two holes.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:42 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

There were four available center caps on the 1994 964 Turbo. The standard caps were metal with the turbo logo. The optional were all also metal, one was polished metal with the turbo logo, one was painted metal with the colored crest with gold PORSCHE lettering and the 4th one was polished metal with the colored crest with gold Porsche lettering.

Hard to find a part number for these old caps as they are NLA and there is no part number stamped in them.

Here is the similar 928 OEM metal cap
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES1410921/

Here are some threads about these caps
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...nter-caps.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...peedlines.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...peedlines.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...good-home.html
Old 05-18-2015, 09:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

FYI.

I have the crested caps original on my 94 turbo my 93 C2 and my 93 928GTS. You can trust what pirahna posted he is spot on. You can see pics on the threads posted I responded to. The metal caps with the gold lettering are in fact factory original and do not have a part number affixed. They matched the crest on the hood with the gold lettering instead of black. I am also a concours judge and any original 964 with crested caps have these with the gold lettering. If you need more proof I can provide it. These are very hard to come by with the gold lettering the black lettering was offered but is now copied and sold cheap. The coloring is usually off on the crests when they are knock offs. AFAIK these were made by speedline for Porsche and would be made in Italy since that is where they make the wheels.

AFAIK the lettering changed to black in 1995 with the introduction of the 993.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:03 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
FYI.

I have the crested caps original on my 94 turbo my 93 C2 and my 93 928GTS. You can trust what pirahna posted he is spot on. You can see pics on the threads posted I responded to. The metal caps with the gold lettering are in fact factory original and do not have a part number affixed. They matched the crest on the hood with the gold lettering instead of black. I am also a concours judge and any original 964 with crested caps have these with the gold lettering. If you need more proof I can provide it. These are very hard to come by with the gold lettering the black lettering was offered but is now copied and sold cheap. The coloring is usually off on the crests when they are knock offs. AFAIK these were made by speedline for Porsche and would be made in Italy since that is where they make the wheels.

+1, The lettering probably changed to black when the hood badge changed to black lettering with the introduction of the 993.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:50 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Thx for all the insight, guy! Wow, didn't expect this would spark such a discussion, learn something every day!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:02 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
FYI.

Anthony, interesting info, thanks!

Would be great to know actual part numbers for these. They can be bought, or at least shown as NLA somewhere in PET and the rest of the internet, right? They should show up as 993 option somewhere on a sticker since Porsche wouldn't give you anything for free in the mid-90s when they were financially strapped.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:09 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pirahna

Here is the similar 928 OEM metal cap
Thanks, Piranha!

These show a "Made in Italy" sticker in this URL and, perhaps, that's where my confusion lies. Anthony references the metal cap pic on a Speedline wheel. Speedlines were made in Italy, thus it could follow that the had their own Italian-made caps. Is that what you and Anthony mean? Were the same caps used on other, non-Speedline Porsche OE wheels?

I have a set of identical, very substantial metal non-colored caps. Metal attachment, no part number, "Made in Italy" sticker. My understanding is that they were not OEM. Perhaps they are, after all?
Old 05-18-2015, 09:11 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
Thx for all the insight, guy! Wow, didn't expect this would spark such a discussion, learn something every day!
Better than oil or undertray discussions
Old 05-19-2015, 01:54 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, your caps are OEM with out a doubt.

Back in the early 90's I had to work the tire machine first before working my way up.

I have seen hundreds and hundreds of them. These were fresh off the boat Porsches.

Whats best about those is that you can grind the center rivet off and refinish the crest or chrome which was popular back then.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:06 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

From what i can tell the part number is 92836103211tpp and shows up on my option sticker as XD4.

http://www.porschepartshub.com/oe-po...92836103211tpp I can only assume these are correct but until someone buys one they may be superseded by 99336130300 the caps used on the 993.

Occasionally a set of the early style come up on Ebay for decent money. I have seen them fetch at least $250 for a nice set sometimes more. Here is a set needing some work and looks as though they were painted white. If anyone buys one from Sunset let me know if they are gold lettering. I have several sets so I am set but at the price it might be worth buying another.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-944-...e65b83&vxp=mtr

My D90's came with these http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-whee...2dd3be&vxp=mtr
Old 05-19-2015, 10:02 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
OP, your caps are OEM with out a doubt.

Back in the early 90's I had to work the tire machine first before working my way up.

I have seen hundreds and hundreds of them. These were fresh off the boat Porsches.

Whats best about those is that you can grind the center rivet off and refinish the crest or chrome which was popular back then.
Thanks Calvin, and this makes sense - my car is 100% original, I do not see a single aftermarket or non-OE part on the car presently from the PO (short of rear Bilstein HDs which I will remedy), so I would have been surprised if he had gone with an Ebay/non-Porsche part especially for something fairly small/inexpensive like a center cap!

Thanks for the great discussion and educational session, guys!
Old 05-19-2015, 10:03 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first plastic caps showed up as the "turbo" and "4S" caps around late 96-97. When the Boxsters started showing up the crest caps became plastic too. I don't remember plastic caps shipping on 993's until around 98. The non-color crest caps (standard) were aluminum too.

Grind back these two rivets to restore the crests and caps then use JB weld to put them back on, they are worth it.
Also I believe you will find the "triangle P" stamp on the back of the crest.

Last edited by CalvinC4S; 05-19-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:12 PM
renij
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zenith, how is this metal if it's clearly plastic with markings molded in?

Last edited by renij; 05-19-2015 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Are these Porsche Hub Caps Original?