Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Gauge face color change

Old 05-14-2015, 09:30 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Gauge face color change

Hello all, as I finish the final details of my tip/man conversion, I have 2 last items to address.

The PRND321 on the speedo and the steering wheel. This bought me to buy gauge faces, so I can keep the original speedo there and not alter mileage as would be done with a replacement.

Then I decided to try a color change ( Hey I loved the red gauges in my GT3) but this layout is different.

I am not sure that I love this. I have had them in 2 weeks, and I am not fully warmed up to it.

These faces come from FVD. They are very good quality, but a notch or so under factory Porsche . I don't feel disappointed in the quality. I am not sure of the overall effect though.

Ideas?

Thank you
Attached Images      
Old 05-14-2015, 10:10 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

By the way, I realize I still need to address the steering wheel!!! I was thinking of repurposing the switches for up/down shift, but then decided now is a good time to get a nice custom covered wheel.

The cost of the gauge faces from FVD is near 350 dollars. They give 12 different faces to cover all possible years/models.

I considered keeping the fuel/oil and clock black, which looks ok too, but in the end decided to do all.

To do this job it takes about an hour and a half for each gauge. It is not hard, but it can be tricky. I had a hard time removing the needles/pointers on the fuel/oil gauge. For some reason, the needle would not release from the pin that it is pressed onto. I actually pulled the entire pin out of the stepper motor in the gauge. If done right, you can simply re-insert the pin and all is well ( I called the Cali speedo shop)

Anyway, any comments or ideas that will help me warm up to this look?

Thank you

Rich
Old 05-14-2015, 10:20 AM
CerberuskY
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I like the white gauge faces, FWIW.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:46 AM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think if you have other red items like red script on carpet or seat belts, it will help.

I don’t know what to think about the red gauges, I looked at the pictures a few minutes and can’t if I like or not. I honestly don’t like the black ones, but prefer white.

For your steering wheel, if you want to keep the same without the shifting buttons, go on Rennlist Facebook. There is a guy selling a really nice one for 175$.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

i wanted to do something similar but only was planning to do the tach with a red face. but i cant find anyone who sells the colored faces separately. you have to buy all of them. maybe try just keeping the tach red.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:58 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 405
i wanted to do something similar but only was planning to do the tach with a red face. but i cant find anyone who sells the colored faces separately. you have to buy all of them. maybe try just keeping the tach red.
porschedials.com will do pretty much anything you want, custom text, font, rotation, increase redline etc...

I just ordered a custom, red faced, rotated, higher redline and custom text, will post the proof when I get it... and I orderd just the tach...

There is another thread about this somewhere....
Old 05-14-2015, 12:24 PM
1990-964
Pro

"i wanted to do something similar but only was planning to do the tach with a red face. but i cant find anyone who sells the colored faces separately. you have to buy all of them. maybe try just keeping the tach red."

+1. Red is very sporty but is a little much when all the dials are done. Taking a page out of the Ferrari book, just the tach looks good but isn't over the top. I actually thought about red but chose silver for my tach and have never regretted it.

Last edited by 1990-964; 05-14-2015 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Add on
Old 05-14-2015, 01:29 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

+993 on white gauges. Preferably with LED's behind to light them properly.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:06 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990-964
"i wanted to do something similar but only was planning to do the tach with a red face. but i cant find anyone who sells the colored faces separately. you have to buy all of them. maybe try just keeping the tach red."

+1. Red is very sporty but is a little much when all the dials are done. Taking a page out of the Ferrari book, just the tach looks good but isn't over the top.
^^^THIS!!! Change the other gauges back to black and keep the Tach red like how Singer and Ferrari do it! Super sweet!
Old 05-14-2015, 02:37 PM
aclark133
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boman993
^^^THIS!!! Change the other gauges back to black and keep the Tach red like how Singer and Ferrari do it! Super sweet!
I have a yellow rotated tach face and the rest are black. The yellow matches the 12 o clock mark on my cup wheel
Old 05-14-2015, 04:34 PM
DLK
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I would just source an OEM black face plate and call it a day.

btw you are missing the rubber cover over the doorswitch. (part nr 901.615.616.20)
Old 05-14-2015, 04:57 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I currently have silver gauge faces (uncertain if aftermarket or OEM). I like them a lot as is, but I decided to order a red rotated tach face from Porsche Dials. I've got a red leather interior to play off of in terms of color scheme. I'll post pictures when I finally get the gauge face and install it.

Personally I'm much more a fan of one colorful dial face (the tach) rather than 5. That's a lot of red in your peripheral vision all the time!
Old 05-15-2015, 09:54 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for your replies and opinions. I too am not sure. In my GT3 I really loved it. But I now realize what the difference is. The gauges in a 993 take up the entire cockpit area and it simply is too much. I think maybe I will do as said. Keep the red tach, buy a manual speedo face (if I can find one) or a manual speed ( which is what I was avoiding in the first place!!!!) and convert it back.

The good news is the tach is the hardest to remove, and I will not have to play with that.

I do wonder though, how many times can you do the can opener routine on a VDO gauge before the lip splits off? My guess is around the 3rd time trouble will begin.

I am going to do red seat belts soon ( as the original webbing is starting to get hard) I was able to find the proper strength red webbing in 5 rib.

I read somewhere that seat belts and air bags do have a service life. If I remember correctly, it was 10 years.

I pray each day that I never test that!!!!!

Thanks again for all the terrific input. I sat there stumped as I looked and really felt it was time to get other thoughts.

Back to work!!!
Old 05-15-2015, 12:44 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 378 Likes on 236 Posts

Rich - I'd consider adding the aluminum trim rings instead (and keep gauges faces OEM).

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...m-rings-8.html

/
Old 05-15-2015, 05:10 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Keep one red for tech gauge and change rest to silver color. It looks nicer with Alu trim.
Next, steering wheel you should go with 3 spoke and silver emblem if you can find one in decent $$....

Nice job on conversion!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gauge face color change