Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

to buy or not to buy 993 targa

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 05:51 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I'll leave your question to those that more closely follow the 993 market for specific prices.

I've just never heard anyone paying a premium for a more rare Targa relative to a less rare couple. If anything, the opposite. There are plenty of Targa haters out there. I've yet to meet a coupe hater.

Originally Posted by slash32487
where would you price it the owner is at $47k and thats his bottom. i want to be at $42k
Old 04-27-2015, 06:19 PM
wmetais
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the owner of a 1996 targa with 69k on the odot, I feel compelled to chime in here. I find my car nothing short of wonderful. If all the mechanicals are up-to-date, as they appear to be, I wouldn't hesitate for one second to buy this car. I believe some of the reason targas don't sell for as much as aC2 coupe has to do with much of the stigma attached to the glass targa sliding roof. Most feel that this mechanism is doomed to failure. I find this thinking not 100% accurate, as I still see quite a few happy targa owners. The fact is, over the years, many of the owners of these cars have learned to perform their own maintenance on the top if necessary. Plus, there is wealth of informative articles available about this. Fortunately I have not experienced any problems with my top and continue to enjoy all the benefits the open air targa has to offer. $47K may seem like a lot for a car of this age but speaking from my experience, in my opinion it is a 993 and a lot of car for the money. $42K would be a steal, ( imho ).
Old 04-27-2015, 07:08 PM
rwthorpe
Intermediate

Here's a '98 with with a lot fewer miles that I considered before I ruled out tippies and decided to go for a cab:
http://trisslsportscars.com/portfoli...che-911-targa/

The '98s had a much smaller production run than the '97s.

Based on my recent hunting, I wouldn't pay more than $45K for a 993 targa unless it was really special for some reason. Of course, prices seem to go up daily.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:41 PM
slash32487
Advanced

Originally Posted by rwthorpe
Here's a '98 with with a lot fewer miles that I considered before I ruled out tippies and decided to go for a cab:
http://trisslsportscars.com/portfoli...che-911-targa/

The '98s had a much smaller production run than the '97s.

Based on my recent hunting, I wouldn't pay more than $45K for a 993 targa unless it was really special for some reason. Of course, prices seem to go up daily.
i cannot justify spending all this money on the wrong transmission. my first criteria is manual before i even chose a car
Old 04-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

I'm a big fan of blue (zenith my favorite), but that price with those miles on a targa are hard to justify. This car was just posted 7 hours ago. A silver/gray coupe with half the mileage of the targa, nicely lowered and equipped with lots of Rennlister favorites like 3 spoke steering wheel, Fister II's, Golden Rod, Short Shift, etc. No affiliation... http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/4998638735.html
Old 04-27-2015, 09:03 PM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
I'm a big fan of blue (zenith my favorite), but that price with those miles on a targa are hard to justify. This car was just posted 7 hours ago. A silver/gray coupe with half the mileage of the targa, nicely lowered and equipped with lots of Rennlister favorites like 3 spoke steering wheel, Fister II's, Golden Rod, Short Shift, etc. No affiliation... http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/4998638735.html
think that's an RL'ers car
Old 04-27-2015, 09:20 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by luckyJ
think that's an RL'ers car
Turbo bumper/bumperette delete, turbo scoops, euro ambers, clear corners, basket handle delete (not my preference), Bergvill T Lights and T Locks - sweet!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:36 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
Now that is a good deal!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:51 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wmetais
As the owner of a 1996 targa with 69k on the odot, I feel compelled to chime in here. I find my car nothing short of wonderful. If all the mechanicals are up-to-date, as they appear to be, I wouldn't hesitate for one second to buy this car. I believe some of the reason targas don't sell for as much as aC2 coupe has to do with much of the stigma attached to the glass targa sliding roof. Most feel that this mechanism is doomed to failure. I find this thinking not 100% accurate, as I still see quite a few happy targa owners. The fact is, over the years, many of the owners of these cars have learned to perform their own maintenance on the top if necessary. Plus, there is wealth of informative articles available about this. Fortunately I have not experienced any problems with my top and continue to enjoy all the benefits the open air targa has to offer. $47K may seem like a lot for a car of this age but speaking from my experience, in my opinion it is a 993 and a lot of car for the money. $42K would be a steal, ( imho ).
I concur.

The asking price for that 130k mile Targa is way too high.

Put it in perspective with my '97 that I bought in July 2013 for $45k with 17,500 miles on it. Yes, it's a Tippy. But, I need an automatic for my wonderful wife. Because my eyes are bad, she often has to drive to relieve me on long trips like the 675 miles we did this weekend. However, she's "shiftless." Thus the Tippy.

Granted 993 prices have moved up since I bought, and while Targa prices are generally the lowest, they are fantastic cars - the rigidity of a coupe with the open-air of the Cab. The best of both worlds. I also like the look of the glass-top Targas. In fact, when our E350 was in for service, we had a matching C250 loaner. And, if our E350 wasn't such a dark grey, you could see that it too has a black roof.

I'm quite pleased with my Targa, Tippy & all. As for the Tippy, once warmed up, I seldom leave it in Drive, preferring to shift up & down manually. While I would prefer permanently-positioned-at-9&3 paddles as on my Maserati, the "Thumb-buttons" are fine.

If you think the top mechanism of the 993-997 Targas are tricky, check out the new Targa. I sure wouldn't want to own one of them out of warranty. Time may prove me wrong. But, I'll stick with this one. And, sunroof cars may also have problems. I have had them with previous cars. Worst was a BMW with panorama roof that broke a 25-cent part & had to be completely removed & placed on the shop floor to repair at a very substantial cost.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:02 PM
BLT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my 97 Targa now for about 2.5 years and would have to agree with everyone here that says the price is too high. For a reference point, here's the original listing for my car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...993-targa.html

Tons of very tasteful mods, body/interior in perfect shape, and well maintained and documented. Paid $36K and me and the PO both thought it was a fair price back then.

I'm definitely a "Targa lover" but understand why some people would be worried about the roof mechanism. Mine had the full "update" from a PO and I'm still always worried that if it breaks bad, it could be a big bill to repair. But that's life in the fast lane

Good luck!

BT
Old 04-28-2015, 02:07 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
Now that is a good deal!
I agree.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:05 AM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BLT
I'm still always worried that if it breaks bad, it could be a big bill to repair. But that's life in the fast lane BT
Indeed.

My X3 cost $2k for repairs at a good Indi (versus $3k at dealer) to replace a 25-cent part.

But,..."if you want to play, you have to pay." And, I think it is worth it.

Quick Reply: to buy or not to buy 993 targa