Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anybody bought a usb cigarette lighter adapter lately

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:49 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Same thing happened to me. Didn't read fine print, ordered 3 (which was actually 3 four packs) and ended up with 12. Unfortunately, my family members got my extras. Great adapter though.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:24 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
So I bought the adapter that jo-hans shared in post 7. They just arrived from China one of those 3 week deals on shipping... it seems to work fine. The only problem is they were 4 for $10 but it appears I have an itchy trigger finger because I bought 8. So half of them go for free to first four 'pm sents' replys - put address in pm. That'll leave me 4 and ought to 'do me out' as my uncle likes to say.
PM sent.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:51 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

oh one more thing. the 993 cigarette lighter socket appears to stay hot with ignition off key out. My suggestion would be if you aren't using it remove it etc not liable for fires etc

hmmm interesting - mine is stone cold with ignition off key out

Last edited by jo-hans; 05-20-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:49 PM
CHJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM sent, thanks.

Chuck
Old 05-20-2015, 08:34 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Guys, the extra adapters are all spoken for and will go out in the next day or two.

Originally Posted by jo-hans
hmmm interesting - mine is stone cold with ignition off key out
Hmmmmm.... one of us might have a gremlin to chase down. I wonder what it is 'supposed' to do.....
Old 05-21-2015, 04:20 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 121 Posts

Mine is hot with the ignition off.

Thanks for the info on the Belkin JB! Still don't know what to do about pad printing the switch in the cosole though....
Old 05-21-2015, 02:27 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Hmmmmm.... one of us might have a gremlin to chase down. I wonder what it is 'supposed' to do.....
I suspect the Griffin P2275 link I posted from Amazon sells knockoffs and aren't the originals from Griffin. I have removed that link and apologize for posting it.
My suggestion is to look for one that comes in a box/blisterpack. They are a great plug that fits snug and flush, stays cool at all times and allows for two USB connections.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:04 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jo-hans
I suspect the Griffin P2275 link I posted from Amazon sells knockoffs and aren't the originals from Griffin. I have removed that link and apologize for posting it.
My suggestion is to look for one that comes in a box/blisterpack. They are a great plug that fits snug and flush, stays cool at all times and allows for two USB connections.
jo-hans, we may be misunderstanding each other, an easy thing to have happen on the interwebz. When I say 'hot' I simply mean stays powered up, as opposed to temperature hot. Some cars the cigarette socket stay 'cold' meaning no power at key off.

Whether they are a knockoff is a tough call. They might be, or they might be leaving the back door. I think it might be a little premature to throw them under the bus. That ad on Amazon has reviews dating back over a year. Seems Griffins would have caught onto that by now and put a stop to it if it was fraud, but you never know. The model is already in this thread so an easy find for someone who wants to search amazon and no harm in letting each make up their own mind.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:26 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

jo-hans, we may be misunderstanding each other, an easy thing to have happen on the interwebz. When I say 'hot' I simply mean stays powered up, as opposed to temperature hot. Some cars the cigarette socket stay 'cold' meaning no power at key off.

Whether they are a knockoff is a tough call. They might be, or they might be leaving the back door. I think it might be a little premature to throw them under the bus. That ad on Amazon has reviews dating back over a year. Seems Griffins would have caught onto that by now and put a stop to it if it was fraud, but you never know. The model is already in this thread so an easy find for someone who wants to search amazon and no harm in letting each make up their own mind.
Hahaha you got me! I had nightmares of peoples cars melting down to the earths surface................

I have my Garmin plugged in at all times and have to remind myself every time to power off the unit when leaving the car for extended time. I am used to it and it doesn't bother me.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:01 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just an FYI, I had inadvertently left my (Griffin dual USB) adapter plugged in since Sunday. Went out to make sure I had actually pulled it out, which I didn't. When I pulled it out, it was not hot, but actually warm. Not to the point of melting, but enough to tell me it does carry resistance, which could lead to more (damaging) heat. So I won't ever leave it in. Great for the track though. Keep the phone (lap timer) and GoPro charged.
Aloha
Old 05-27-2015, 04:10 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I received mine today. Thanks so much, it was very generous of you to share.

So I bought the adapter that jo-hans shared in post 7. They just arrived from China one of those 3 week deals on shipping... it seems to work fine. The only problem is they were 4 for $10 but it appears I have an itchy trigger finger because I bought 8. So half of them go for free to first four 'pm sents' replys - put address in pm. That'll leave me 4 and ought to 'do me out' as my uncle likes to say.

Quick Reply: Anybody bought a usb cigarette lighter adapter lately