993 Forum 1995-1998

993 HiFi Option Rear Deck Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 01:43 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993 HiFi Option Rear Deck Speaker Replacement

I finally got around to replacing the rear deck HiFi option speakers. I used Polk MM461p 4x6 plates. I'm not sure if anyone has done this in awhile so I figured I'd post my saga here...

- Take the deck out of the car. Remove the four retaining screws and the two seat belt bolts.

- Remove the four bolts from underneath the deck to release each of the speakers.

- Gut the existing plates only retaining the screen channel and two of the four original mounting screw ports so you can refasten the screens back to the deck when you're done mounting the speakers. If you can retain all four that would be ideal but I could not with the Polk speakers I used. You can use a dremmel but I actually used my Fein Tool... its a lot quicker than a dremmel. You can then use the dremmel to neaten up the edges.

-Fasten the speakers directly to the deck. Be careful to mount them so they do not cover or interfere with the two screen mounting positions you will use to mount the screen frame to the deck. Do a loose fit check prior to marking you new speaker mounting locations. (this becomes clear when you are actually doing this step)

- Mount the screen frame to the deck. Pop the screens into the channel.

- Connect the wiring harness to the speakers. I purchased the clip adapters directly from Crutchfield so I would not have to cut the factory clips out. (Metra 71-017C Speaker Wiring Harnesses)

- The Polk MM 461 plates are rated at 2 ohms but will perform in a 4ohm capacity without issue as per Polk. It actually states it on the outside of the box which I found interesting. I do run an amp in my setup but Im sure they would work fine with any head unit.

Pictures are attached... Hope you guys find this helpful.
Attached Images           
The following users liked this post:
cole_ve (05-26-2021)
Old 04-20-2015, 04:14 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had to hack my MM461ps with a dremel to fit inside my non hifi speaker grills...
Your larger grills made for a much cleaner installation!
Nice job!
Old 04-20-2015, 04:19 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Great write up. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 993 HiFi Option Rear Deck Speaker Replacement