Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New RL "outpost" established in Central Oregon (Bend, OR)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
Default New RL "outpost" established in Central Oregon (Bend, OR)

Hi all, I've had a few PM's asking me if I'd moved, and yes we packed it up, left the San Diego area, and moved to Bend. A bit different than SoCal, but a great place.

Got the garage done last week, save for some wall art, and hung pictures and got the last of the new furniture the last few days. Pics of the garage, and yes there is a little bit of house to go with it. If you're ever up this way, send me a PM. Cheers (PS: 28 breweries in the city limits of 82,000 people!)
Attached Images           
Old 04-11-2015, 05:16 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 362 Posts

Very nice! Great move if your career can move with you.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:25 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pirahna
Very nice! Great move if your career can move with you.
Thanks!

As long as I have an airport nearby, I can live about anywhere. Although I've added one more flight leg in each direction to pretty much anywhere I go. As if I needed that-Instead of 150K/year, maybe I'll hit 200K in air miles? More to use when I retire in 2 years!

There are also fantastic roads up here, can't wait to explore. I'll also get to go to RRV from a different direction this time!
Old 04-11-2015, 05:48 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 188 Posts

Congrats on the move, you have a very nice place!
Old 04-11-2015, 05:54 PM
PecosBill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta' love Bend. Plenty of breweries, and you can kayak right through town.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:00 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
Congrats on the move, you have a very nice place!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by PecosBill
Gotta' love Bend. Plenty of breweries, and you can kayak right through town.
...or paddleboard!
Old 04-11-2015, 07:15 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice place, congrats
Old 04-11-2015, 07:51 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Hi all, I've had a few PM's asking me if I'd moved, and yes we packed it up, left the San Diego area, and moved to Bend. A bit different than SoCal, but a great place.

Got the garage done last week, save for some wall art, and hung pictures and got the last of the new furniture the last few days. Pics of the garage, and yes there is a little bit of house to go with it. If you're ever up this way, send me a PM. Cheers (PS: 28 breweries in the city limits of 82,000 people!)
Now this is my kind of place! Is Mt. Hood in one of your mountain pics?
Place looks nice Ed, Enjoy!
Old 04-11-2015, 07:58 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
...or paddleboard!
Congratulations on the move.

BTW if you ever need a new paddleboard there is a guy name Gerry who lives there who makes great boards of all sorts.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:10 PM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lived in Bend for 10 years. Great place. Just a pain to get anywhere when you want some variety. Also a very big Porsche town.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:43 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 122 Posts

Welcome to the PNW Ed! Lots of great Porsche people here, reach out if you need anything. Just a heads up if you haven't learned this yet, the OSP patrols Hwy 97 like Gestapo's. In California they only pop you for being above the flow off traffic. Not in Oregon! On 97 the limit is 55 and they will pop you for 6-7 over (don't ask how I know...) especially south of Bend. Believe it or not they are well trained to use rolling instant on radar and use X-band so if you have a detector and get a short blip of X, hammer the brakes they will light you up next. I drive that route a lot and have learned the hard way. Otherwise great scenery, roads and beers!
Old 04-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan1
Welcome to the PNW Ed! Lots of great Porsche people here, reach out if you need anything. Just a heads up if you haven't learned this yet, the OSP patrols Hwy 97 like Gestapo's. In California they only pop you for being above the flow off traffic. Not in Oregon! On 97 the limit is 55 and they will pop you for 6-7 over (don't ask how I know...) especially south of Bend. Believe it or not they are well trained to use rolling instant on radar and use X-band so if you have a detector and get a short blip of X, hammer the brakes they will light you up next. I drive that route a lot and have learned the hard way. Otherwise great scenery, roads and beers!
VERY good advice.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:53 PM
PecosBill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nathan1

I hear that a lot, but I run up there a lot on business, and I have yet to get pulled over, and I have a lead foot. It could be that I am usually driving a pickup when I'm over there. I do notice pretty heavy patrols between Bend and Redmond though. And, if you are up north, Warm Springs seems like one big speed trap.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:07 AM
Luckster
Rennlist Member

Congrats, the roads in that area are great, so many places to drive.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:13 AM
Eric in SD
Rennlist Member

Well, speaking for the San Diego Rennlisters, this town will be a little less interesting without Ed around. Who is going to rally the troops to charge Palomar Mountain at the crack of dawn? Or show us how to drop the motor in a 993? We will miss you Ed. But our loss is the PNW's gain. I look forward to keeping up with your exploits on this board. Enjoy the brews, fresh air and endless mountain roads in Bend!

Quick Reply: New RL "outpost" established in Central Oregon (Bend, OR)