993 Forum 1995-1998

DAS ROLL BAR = DAS PAIN IN THE BUTT

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 01:21 AM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default DAS ROLL BAR = DAS PAIN IN THE BUTT

I recently purchased a DAS roll bar for a fair price. It was local, so I picked it up. I did research and found that most state the tolerances suck and you have to really work hard to get it in the car.

All is true, I had to use the jack of the car to yield the rear bar into place. What a really poor design where you have to have unwanted preload in the joints.

In the end it took me 5 hours to get it into place all by myself. Now I understand why most people once they install it, never take it out.

I guess I can't complain, because if I want to junk it later for a Heigo cage I can get all my money back.

So if anyone is local in Orange County, let me know I would be willing to help ya out so you don't have to spend 5 hours like me.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:21 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 40 Posts

It took me about an hour to bolt in. Did you try to bolt it in already bolted together or do it a piece at a time?
--Michael
Old 03-29-2015, 01:22 PM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I put in the bottom bar first. Then i installed the hoop afterwards. The majority of time was installing the bottom bar. The hoop was very frustrating to install because i had to use a rubber mallet to knock it into place and then install the bolts like a hindge.

The last rear bolt required me to spread the hoop to get aligned.

One has to take their time otherwise you can cross thread.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:53 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

In the end it took me 5 hours to get it into place all by myself.
Ahhh, quit yer whining ; you had the availability of another set of hands...
Old 03-29-2015, 05:44 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

DAS is true!

I had some trouble with mine too, I think it's part of the charm of these things..haha. My problem was that I eye'd the bottom bar's position and paid most attention to the seat belt cassettes being installed correctly. I then, struggled for a while (hours) trying to slowly and systematically bolt the 4 points on the top hoop and couldn't get it to square up. Until I realized that the bottom bar was rotated a little bit. Once I corrected it, the top hoop bolted up perfectly without much effort. I'm taking mine out soon for a carpet swap, fingers crossed it will go smoother the second time around!

Old 03-29-2015, 06:03 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by boman993
DAS is true! I had some trouble with mine too, I think it's part of the charm of these things..haha. My problem was that I eye'd the bottom bar's position and paid most attention to the seat belt cassettes being installed correctly. I then, struggled for a while (hours) trying to slowly and systematically bolt the 4 points on the top hoop and couldn't get it to square up. Until I realized that the bottom bar was rotated a little bit. Once I corrected it, the top hoop bolted up perfectly without much effort. I'm taking mine out soon for a carpet swap, fingers crossed it will go smoother the second time around!
It did for me the second time!
--Michael
Old 03-30-2015, 10:35 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These roll bars are mallable steel. I helped a friend put a used one in his car and it was way off. We took it out and bent one of the legs little bit (with a floor jack I think) and it went right in after that.

Quick Reply: DAS ROLL BAR = DAS PAIN IN THE BUTT