993 Forum 1995-1998

Bilstein HD Spring Float

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:10 PM
pilotjosh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bilstein HD Spring Float

I'm sure this has been answered, but I can't find what I'm looking for. Apologies for the repetitive topic.

I have HD's and MO33 springs. My ride height is 150mm in front and 132mm in back (this setup was installed by the previous owner). There is plenty of thread to lower the car, so I may have the "extra thread" version of the HD.

I now realize that the ride height was likely set to the lowest setting that would keep the spring taught when uncompressed. I could easily lower the car to my goal of RS+10, but I"m hesitant to let the spring have no pre-load. My thought is that I need a spring that is longer, yet compresses more under the weight of the car.

Would the M030, H&R, or any other set allow the car to be set lower without spring float? Surely everyone with HD's isn't sitting as high as I am.

Thanks for your input,

Josh

Last edited by pilotjosh; 03-24-2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Added Pic
Old 03-24-2015, 04:15 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 486 Posts

I am running B6s with H&R 29953s set at RS ride height. Springs hold tension when unloaded.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:30 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

M030 will also float when unloaded. It's really no big deal. When you lower the car the springs will fit back where they should. If you want something that doesn't float, I suggest H&R. They have helper spring that keeps them loaded when the car is lifted. When you lower the car the helper spring fully compresses. The ride is a tad less stiff than M030, IMO. My Eibach springs don't float either.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:35 PM
pilotjosh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 71-3.0-911
I am running B6s with H&R 29953s set at RS ride height. Springs hold tension when unloaded.
Exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you sir.

Originally Posted by P-daddy
M030 will also float when unloaded. It's really no big deal. When you lower the car the springs will fit back where they should. If you want something that doesn't float, I suggest H&R. They have helper spring that keeps them loaded when the car is lifted. When you lower the car the helper spring fully compresses. The ride is a tad less stiff than M030, IMO. My Eibach springs don't float either.
I'm really looking for a spring to use with the HD's I have. I assume the H&R with the helper spring your talking about is a full coilover set, right? Whereas the H&R 29953's mentioned above are just a basic spring...
Old 03-24-2015, 08:53 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

H&R Sport springs do not use helpers or tenders; they are slightly longer than M030's and progressively wound to prevent the springs from being loose at full droop. Only some H&R Coilovers and of course PSS-10's, use tenders for this reason as well as to provide a dual-rate spring package.

I've found M030 springs to be almost inversely progressive (and still too short for the Bilsteins), thus making a fairly stiff ride for such modest spring rates.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:38 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Steve- I used the word helper spring may not be correct but I don't quite know the correct terminology. Let me try to explain better. My reddish/purplish H/R sport springs are longer than my M030. The top several coils are wound much closer together than the rest. When the car is lowered on the ground, those coils at the top would completely compressed. This leads me to believe their purpose are to maintain tension when unloaded.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:50 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Here's a pic of the H&Rs. Guess I shouldn't have used the word helper spring but don't know what else to call this type of springs.
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2015, 02:04 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a pic of the H&Rs. Guess I shouldn't have used the word helper spring but don't know what else to call this type of springs.
That's called a progressive rate spring.

A linear rate spring has a constant force per distance of compression value. E.g. 200 lbs per inch of travel.

A progressive rate spring follows a load curve that changes force as the compressed distance increases. For instance, it could be 50lbs/inch at one inch of compression, and 200lbs/inch at 5 inches of compression.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:26 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyer
That's called a progressive rate spring.

A linear rate spring has a constant force per distance of compression value. E.g. 200 lbs per inch of travel.

A progressive rate spring follows a load curve that changes force as the compressed distance increases. For instance, it could be 50lbs/inch at one inch of compression, and 200lbs/inch at 5 inches of compression.
Precisely!
Old 03-25-2015, 07:36 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

^ Thanks Justin and Steve.
OP- sounds like the H&R is what you're looking for. GL
Old 03-25-2015, 09:35 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I've found M030 springs to be almost inversely progressive (and still too short for the Bilsteins).
So why is everybody and their brother still selling the B6 instead of the shorter B8 Bilstein, and selling them with ROW M030 springs?

I never got an answer from Pelican Parts on that one and I've asked twice.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:45 AM
shtig
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have m030 springs with Bilstein HDs. As stated above, the shocks are "too long for the dampers", so they dont sit like they should when the suspension is unloaded. I did not know this when I got them, I ended up having the dampers modified to hold the spring in place when the wheels are off the ground.

If I did it all over I would just have gone PSS10 since installation, setup and corner weight is expensive enough that the saving in Bilstein HDs instead of PSS10 is not justified.

Also, I'm not too fond of the ride, a bit harsh over slow bumps and not controlled enough when driving hard.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:03 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

The Bilstein HD's and the H&R springs I find a very good pairing as Steve has mentioned. If you have to have the Porsche parts then you may need to opt for the B8 version meant for sport/shorter springs, but I wouldn't advise it. All depends on planned usage
Old 03-25-2015, 10:26 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by rlme36
If you have to have the Porsche parts then you may need to opt for the B8 version meant for sport/shorter springs, but I wouldn't advise it.
The B8 isn't a "Porsche part".

I also would not accept a loose spring condition, forget about even advising against it. Countries where vehicle inspections are taken seriously, would not even pass that.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:30 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

really the Bilstein shock isn't a Porsche part, who knew. ;-) was more in reference to the using the M030 spring.

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD Spring Float