993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Suggestions For Monthly Parking in San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 05:13 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts
Default OT: Suggestions For Monthly Parking in San Francisco

I accepted a job offer in SF last week, and today I secured an apartment in SOMA, just a 15 minute walk from the office. I'm thrilled to be moving back to the west coast!

I'm wondering if anybody can recommend safe, affordable monthly parking (if such a thing exists in San Francisco ) somewhere near my apartment (within 20 minutes by foot or on transit would be ideal). I'm on a wait list for a parking spot in my building (which runs $250/mo.), but unfortunately I've read that break ins in our lot are common (Tenderloin spillover). I'd like to find a safer home for the 993, particularly seeing as though I won't need it to commute to work daily.

Any & all recommendations welcome. Thanks!!
Old 03-01-2015, 07:47 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

What part of SOMA? What people call SOMA can be pretty far ranging.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:46 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TxnBluDvl
What part of SOMA? What people call SOMA can be pretty far ranging.
I'm near 6th and Mission, so really right on the border with the Tenderloin unfortunately.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:13 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I selected "6th and mission" from your post and right-clicked/dropped to google,,,

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...me-2369466.php

I don't think I'd be parking a 993 anywhere near there, unless it was truly a secured garage.

Find a secure garage and Uber/Lyft to pickup/dropoff the car if the location isn't walkable. And be safe.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:17 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
I selected "6th and mission" from your post and right-clicked/dropped to google,,,

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...me-2369466.php

I don't think I'd be parking a 993 anywhere near there, unless it was truly a secured garage.

Find a secure garage and Uber/Lyft to pickup/dropoff the car if the location isn't walkable. And be safe.

At least I can say my apartment isn't *right* there. I didn't feel comfortable giving away my exact coordinates on an internet forum, so I found an intersection within ~5 minutes. In any event, I'm sure my intersection isn't a whole lot safer. Your Uber/Lyft suggestion is one I hadn't thought of. I'd still like to find something walkable (even if it's a 20 minute walk) if possible. Figured some people on here who work downtown may have suggestions.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:24 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, that area is definitely not safe. Your closest garage will be the 5th and mission garage but it gets a ton of visitor traffic and I wouldn't consider it.

Take a look at the Museum Parc garage under 4th and Folsom. That's a good one which seems very secure.

http://m.yelp.com/biz/museum-parc-garage-san-francisco-2

Congrats on the new job! Enjoy SF. You'll probably not end up driving that much these days. It's changed quote a bit in the last few years. Uber and Lyft rule the city in terms of convenient transport.

If you find that to be the case, I'd look into storing it in a garage for the weekends near Portrero Hill or further south down 3rd.

Originally Posted by asofine

At least I can say my apartment isn't *right* there. I didn't feel comfortable giving away my exact coordinates on an internet forum, so I found an intersection within ~5 minutes. In any event, I'm sure my intersection isn't a whole lot safer. Your Uber/Lyft suggestion is one I hadn't thought of. I'd still like to find something walkable (even if it's a 20 minute walk) if possible. Figured some people on here who work downtown may have suggestions.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:26 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a world of difference just a block away (on 5th), here's another link off that search:

http://therumpus.net/2011/11/meanwhile-6th-and-mission/

Hope you get some helpful replies. Edit: Looks like you just did ^^
Old 03-01-2015, 11:00 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I've parked at the 5th and mission garage probably 30 times over the past few years. It's a big lot and easy to get in and out of. Never overnight and never the 993, but never had a problem.

You get a lot of Mosconi traffic there for sure.

I agree with others. You're pretty close to the loin, so I'd keep the car somewhere else. Dont even risk it, given how easy it is to Uber a car.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:10 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 121 Posts

You don't want to park a 993 anywhere near there overnight -- in any garage near there. Waaaaay too much transient traffic.

If you're willing to uber/lyft not far away --- consider One Daniel Burnham Court. This is a building on Van Ness and Post --- prob 10-15 min away for you on uber/lyft/bicycle.

I rented two spots in that garage for several years --- it is an underground garage that is used by residents and visitors of the building. It is secured with gates/locks in the evenings as well as on the weekends.

The residential side of the garage has lots of high dollar stuff in there - Astons, Lamborghinis, etc.

The "rental side" --- which is shared with visitors --- also had nice hardware, if not exotic hardware --- I distinctly remember a green 60s Chrysler Imperial --- gorgeous car --- that also parked in the rental side. I had a Citroen CX and a BMW that I parked there without issue for several years.

IIRC, it was around $250 per month around 8 years ago. It may have gone up since then.
Parking is expensive in this city. Good Luck!
Old 03-02-2015, 02:24 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome (back) to the SF Bay Area. I'd definitely go with others advise and find a safer garage space further from where you'll be living and working. Between Uber/Lyft/BMW Drive-Now/Bicycling/Public Transit you'll find you'll only want your 993 when you plan on heading out of the city for a weekend.

I drive my 993 into SF often for work meetings, and I have a preferred garage under Opera Plaza that I use because it is convenient to my meetings. It has valet service and has monthly rates. No idea about overnight access though. The city has so much traffic and ****ty road conditions that driving a 993 in the city really isn't enjoyable.

Hope to meet you in person sometime soon.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:58 AM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Perhaps try around the South beach area - there's a number of condos around there and you might find a spot for rent in a secure underground lot. As I'm sure you're aware, SF is challenging when it comes to parking .

There's also the following map that shows historic crime incidents. You can filter by type of crime and date range. You may have to increase the date range to see incidents for a specific type of crime. I had to go back to October to see the recent car theft rate for South Beach
http://www.sf-police.org/index.aspx?page=1618

Welcome back!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:55 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Thank you all for the kind words and recommendations. I even received a PM about a safe spot nearby. I've relied on this forum for so much technical info over the years, and it's incredible that I've even come to look to RL for "off topic" advice. I try to return the goodwill when I can, and will continue doing so!
Old 03-02-2015, 03:15 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You might want to look here on craigslist. All sorts of private parking. Be forewarned, the prices are all over the place depending location/amenity:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sfc/prk?
Old 03-02-2015, 03:37 PM
GTGoff
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd definitely park in a single-car garage if possible. I keep my black '96 C4S locked up in my garage on Twin Peaks and keep my other car in a friend's garage in Noe Valley (I'm one of the techie shuttle commuters down to south bay every day). I wouldn't consider parking in a multi-car garage where (a) there's easy entry/exit increasing the theft risk and (b) other cars could damage yours because people in SF are AWFUL at parking their cars and don't care about them at all, regardless of the value. You should be able to find someone with an extra garage space in their house that they're willing to rent out, with a nice locked door.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:38 PM
GTGoff
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, anything under ~$400-500 is good. It's worth it for the safety.

Quick Reply: OT: Suggestions For Monthly Parking in San Francisco