993 Forum 1995-1998

Bergvill's Rear Fog Light/Brake Light Conversion Kit Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 12:18 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 491 Likes on 364 Posts
Default Bergvill's Rear Fog Light/Brake Light Conversion Kit Installed

This is a very straightforward install with two simple splices, but I thought it might be helpful to share a few notes and pictures for future installations of this great new safety product from Tore.

I had already converted the brake lights to Tore's LED's. The difference is remarkable. So increasing the brake lights from two LED lights to four utilizing the empty fog light sockets was compelling. All the more so since I hadn't yet installed Tore's LED reverse lights - a project I had abandoned when I discovered that the center socket screw in the center tail light assembly was stripped and wouldn't come out.

The fog light harness was thoughtfully designed with a connector similar to the connector on the reverse light harness (better, really). This continues to make it a snap to disconnect both harnesses when removing the center tail light assembly.

The toughest part of the installation, IMHO, is the removal of the tedious center tail light. It's not terribly difficult, but the three socket screws and three philips head screws are a bit overkill. There's also a potential to scratch the bumper during the removal process, so take your time, and keep a few cloths on hand. I also found it very helpful to place a few boxes against the rear bumperettes to create a support-stand for the center tail light. This frees your hands up for connecting the harnesses, and also helps avoid scratching the bumper. And keep a screw driver on hand so you can easily disconnect the harness when you slide the center tail light out!

In advance of the project I purchased some "just in case" replacements for the plastic screws securing the plastic cover over the center tail light assembly (Suncoast part # 999-590-036-40-0IC). I also bought a new socket screw to replace the stripped one (Suncoast part #90011911407), and a replacement for the center plastic bushing (Suncoast part# 99363112700).

When removing the four plastic screws securing the plastic cover over the tail light assembly, I used a large screwdriver with electrical tape to help avoid gouging the screws/ Carefully rotate each screw 90 degrees counterclockwise and remove. Be sure to pull all four screws out before attempting to remove the plastic cover, as experience has taught that the screws like to pop out and hide in the engine compartment!

When removing the left and right rear light enclosures, simply remove the fastening screw on each unit. Keep in mind, however, that these units are also secured by several prongs that connect to the center tail light assembly. So gently slide the left and right rear enclosures out and away from the center tail light.

You can splice into either the left or right rear light enclosure. Just make sure you have the harness plug located on that same side.

And make sure to test the lights before putting everything back together. When testing the lights I found the left lamp wasn't lit. This is typically just a matter of making sure the LED bulb has a good connection, but even after gently pulling out both the bottom and side contacts there was still no light. My two splices to the harness had to be working because the right lamp was working fine. A multimeter confirmed that the problem rested in the harness. Despite it being a weekend, Tore was incredibly responsive and offered to repair the harness himself. But I had just done two splices by the brake light, so not a big deal to do two more splices. Tore assisted by email ensuring that I used a proper crimp tool and waterproof shrink tube. It was a quick and simple fix, and Tore will be keeping a close watch on the quality control on future production of the harnesses to hopefully avoid any future repeats of this problem.

All in all this is a relatively easy install, and a vast improvement in safety for our 993's. Thanks Tore for all that you do to improve our cars!

Cheers!

Rear foglight conversion kit is here!

Remove 4 plastic screws by turning counter-clockwise 90 degrees

Carefully pull up plastic cover

Remove the 3 socket screws with allen wrench, and back out the 3 fixing screws so they are flush with top of unit

If you happen to have a stripped socket screw, rip out bushing and drill it out

Center tail light with three socket screws removed, and fixing screws backed out

Remove fastening screws from two rear light enclosures and slide out puling gently away from center tail light

Keep a cloth handy to prevent scratches from hanging lights

Have a screwdriver handy so you can disconnect the harness after sliding out the light assembly. Pry up the two snaps on the left and right side, and simply pull off the connector

Ready to install

Remove the two dummy bulb holders

This is also a great time to replace the reverse lights

With Tore's LED reverse lights

Old dummy bulb holder on left, new LED brake light holder on right. Note that you do not need the thick washer from the dummy bulb holder

Dummy plugs removed

Connect T-Light kit wires to two of the three wires going into rear lamp (Blue goes to the lamp's black/red, and brown goes to brown)

Red/black wire cut

Splicing red/black back together with blue wire. Be sure to get wires all the way in and snap SIDE of splice box closed before squeezing splice

Squeeze splice together carefully using large pliers or plumber's wrench to ensure even pinch

Snap top of splice box closed

Splice kit's brown wire to the brown wires, squeeze splice, and snap closed

When making ready to re-install it's helpful to have a place for the rear light assembly to safely rest. It makes re-connecting and re-assembling much easier.

Make sure to test lamps BEFORE reinstalling. The multimeter confirmed that my harness had a bad connection. Time for a quick re-splice of the harness lines.

Harness all set just in time for the flyover by the Thunderbirds!

Here's the repaired harness using pictured insulated crimps and heat shrink

Ready to plug and play

Successful test run before reinstalling

Installation is reverse of removal

Time for a new project!
Old 02-03-2015, 12:08 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Very nice write-up!

Andreas
Old 02-03-2015, 12:44 PM
mesprit87
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pics
Old 02-03-2015, 02:01 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Bergvill's LED F&R blinker kit ....

Nice write up & pictorial - !
I agree the LED Blinker bulb enhancement is a winner. With the LED bulbs 993s blinkers front or rear are deliberate! They're hard not to notice.

4 LED bulbs across the rear is Killer Again, thanks for the write-up.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:19 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 237 Posts

Foxman, big thanks for the nice write-up and pictures.
You'll need an LED update of your third brake light as well, I see you are missing a bulb!
Cheers,
Tore
Old 02-03-2015, 02:43 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToreB
Foxman, big thanks for the nice write-up and pictures.
You'll need an LED update of your third brake light as well, I see you are missing a bulb!
Cheers,
Tore
Nice catch Tore! Yes, I noted the same when i took that last picture. Funny how one project leads right to the next one!

Thanks again for all you do for our 993's!
Old 02-03-2015, 03:39 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice write up indeed! I may just do this as I have spare sockets laying around.

Originally Posted by ToreB
Cheers,
Tore
Tore, do you have a LED upgrade solution to the centre brake light or are you referring to an incandescent light bulb replacement?
Old 02-03-2015, 03:40 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 237 Posts

Thanks Hans, I've got a LED third brake light kit on the way.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 02-03-2015, 03:43 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You Rock Tore!
Old 02-03-2015, 05:01 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thank you for posting this
Old 02-03-2015, 06:34 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Good post.

I am also a satisfied customer of T-LEDS.

Another tip to prevent scratches, use 3M automotive painter's tape to tape off the bumper in the area of the lights.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:55 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Very nicely done and documented!
Old 02-03-2015, 09:18 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Well done!
Old 02-03-2015, 11:01 PM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Great write-up and photos! Wish my black looked that sharp.
On a different note, any chance you can post a photo of your spoiler in the up position? Curious to see what it looks lie.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all of you guys, Andreas, MESprit 87, M Schneider, Hans, EMB Pilot, PDaddy and FlatSix911, for taking the time to weigh in and comment on the post.

And Andreas, a big thanks again for the 993 plates - you'll see a few in the pics waiting for a more permanent location in the new garage.

Originally Posted by Sagres74
Great write-up and photos! Wish my black looked that sharp.
On a different note, any chance you can post a photo of your spoiler in the up position? Curious to see what it looks lie.
Sagres74 - Sorry for the delay posting some photos on the spoiler. I've been skiing up at Stowe the past few days and just got back. Funny, I've never before seen it in the up-position. It doesn't look half-bad. I still think i'd like to delete the spoiler and return it to the sleek stock look, but it has me thinking....

Snowing in a few of the pictures, it's been non-stop here!

Quick Reply: Bergvill's Rear Fog Light/Brake Light Conversion Kit Installed