Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Buying used 993 salvage title

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 11:31 PM
discoboy1
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, looking to get myself a 993, found a 96 C4 coupe manual with 48k miles. The car has a salvage title in PA dating from 98. Car is now in Canada Looked at the car and label is on the front hood, both door jams and engine area. I don t really see any major repairs on it...
The only thing is rough spots on each side of spare tires. Current owner had it for 10 years and bought it from a Porsche dealer. Could get the car for 38k$. Is this a good deal considering the history?
Old 01-29-2015, 11:37 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

No.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:48 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Is that $38k Canadian...if so, that's about $32k US. Not sure what you mean by rough spots around the spare tire (paint, crinkle in metal, etc.). Regardless of price, car needs to be inspected by both competent mechanic as well as body shop. If all checks out at $32k US you're not far off from a good deal.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:00 AM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where in Canada is it? Considering its a manual coupe with low mileage that's not a bad deal. Agree that thorough mechanical and body shop inspections are must.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:10 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by discoboy1
Hi everyone, looking to get myself a 993, found a 96 C4 coupe manual with 48k miles. The car has a salvage title in PA dating from 98. Car is now in Canada Looked at the car and label is on the front hood, both door jams and engine area. I don t really see any major repairs on it...
The only thing is rough spots on each side of spare tires. Current owner had it for 10 years and bought it from a Porsche dealer. Could get the car for 38k$. Is this a good deal considering the history?
Seems strange that a Porsche Dealer would sell a salvage title car. I've never heard of that up here.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:23 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Salvage title is a decent deal at 1/2 that of a clean titled car. So is a clean titled 96 C4 coupe manual with 48k miles, that looks to be in very nice condition, double the asking price of this car?

Also, salvaged title car is more difficult to sell and worth less to all concerned. If you plan to keep it and drive it till it drops, with the knowledge that it may pull $25k ish, if there is ever a sale; then the decision is all yours.

So, offer the guy $25k, at that price you can keep the car, drive the hell outta it and not worry about getting hurt. A dismantler may pay $18.

Last edited by nine9six; 01-30-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ilko
No.
+993
Old 01-30-2015, 09:51 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

I wouldn't pay $32k for it.

If I were to ever buy a salvage car, I'd expect to keep it basically forever because selling it again will be very difficult unless you absolutely give it away.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:01 AM
C2sideways
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Concerning 'Carfax's, etc'. What is a washed title and how would one go about doing this. Is the true history held somewhere indefinitely. How do we know if our title was ever washed ?
Old 01-30-2015, 10:08 AM
discoboy1
5th Gear

To answer some of the questions, yes the price is in CAD$. The car was sold by Porsche dealer back in 2004, I guess back then finding history for the buyer was more difficult... It seems PA state does not keep records for more than 10 yrs so it's not possible to know what was the reason for the salvage.

Here is a picture of the rough spot I was talking about, I do not have any other references so maybe you can tell me if this looks stock... this is passenger side next to spare tire, driver side looks the same
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2015, 10:36 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by C2sideways
Concerning 'Carfax's, etc'. What is a washed title and how would one go about doing this. Is the true history held somewhere indefinitely. How do we know if our title was ever washed ?
One way they do it is to retitle the car in a state that doesn't keep track of salvaged (or rebuilt as a lot of states call them) titles. Then once they get that one, retitle to a 3rd state that does keep track but you have a clean title. Why would you want to find out if you had a washed title - that could ruin your day Probably low level dealers and curbstoners practice mostly more reason to buy from individual who has had the car for a while or a more reputable dealer. Even then no guarantee.

I had a car with a rebuilt title once. It was a Ford tempo, 5spd. It was an awesome car, never had one issue with it and drove the snot out of it. Well, as much snot as you can drive out of a ford tempo that is. It was a bitch to sell though. Don't be afraid to make a low offer, cause you are going hear them if you go to sell it.

Originally Posted by discoboy1
To answer some of the questions, yes the price is in CAD$. The car was sold by Porsche dealer back in 2004, I guess back then finding history for the buyer was more difficult... It seems PA state does not keep records for more than 10 yrs so it's not possible to know what was the reason for the salvage.

Here is a picture of the rough spot I was talking about, I do not have any other references so maybe you can tell me if this looks stock... this is passenger side next to spare tire, driver side looks the same
I have a little vertigo on that shot but that does look like you found the damage. Front quarter hit hard maybe? I'd get a good check on the car if you decide to pursue. One check worth doing is to ensure the car can accept a stock alignment.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:59 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't understand why anyone would consider a salvage car unless it was at least 1/2 the price of a clean titled car - and they never planned to sell.

Please think about it long and hard. And push your emotions aside. There are lots of cars for sale out there.

I still cannot believe that a franchised Porsche dealer would sell a salvage car. Huge liability - at least in the US.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:06 AM
discoboy1
5th Gear

After consideration , I will keep looking...
Old 01-30-2015, 11:11 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

Even at half price I wouldn't consider a salvage 993. If I need a cheap beater work truck maybe I would consider a salvage vehicle but definitely not a 993.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:29 AM
C2sideways
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again, depends on it's condition and your expectancy of ownership. Do you wish to keep it, restore it, track it, etc.
As it is salvaged titled then you could throw a silly bid at it and see how it goes.

Seeing as you intend to pass on it though maybe you could share it location, etc in case any of us would consider it.

Quick Reply: Buying used 993 salvage title