Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 cab valuations?

Old 01-31-2015, 06:56 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by oemexp
My wife and I have a 1997 993 C2 6sd Cabriolet that has 39K miles on it and we are thinking about selling it. I haven't taken pics yet but it's a no excuses blk on blk/blk CA car. We have the window sticker showing that it sits as delivered with turbo option wheels, option speakers/ CD player, option interior bits such as silver gage faces etc. Mechanically, it's perfect (top cables replaced, new rear window) etc.

What should we start it at if we decide to sell it?
$46,993 GLWS
Old 01-31-2015, 07:06 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
Hi Laurent,

The consensus here appears to be that $38,000 was a fair asking price for a silver/black Tip Cab. I looked back at your thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...3-cab-tip.html $42k does indeed sound fair for the 50,000 mile tip that you posted. Silver/black is nice, but the midnight blue with cashmere beige/black interior is worth the extra few grand IMO. I'm a sucker for blue. I hope you bought the car, it's beautiful! Or did you switch for the aventurine green? Another great color (but not so much the gray interior). Cheers!
The Midnight Blue one was very nice but ended up being a can of worms... Accident on Carfax, Victory Motorcars involved, and a not so truthful current owner. Too bad really but I prefer stay away from that. The problem with the Aventurine Green is the mileage, the PO put 10 miles on the car in the past 8 years and just had the odometer fixed after realizing it was not working. Nothing fishy and everyone has been helpful/truthful, but I can't say for rue that the mileage reported is the true mileage. Long story short, I am still looking.

Originally Posted by shhhzaammm
Was looking at this one
pretty low too
Porsche 911 2dr Cabriolet Carrera Tiptronic | eBay
Ouch, Victory! A root canal without anesthesia would be a much more enticing and rewarding proposition.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:06 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by VA993Dreamer
In fact, a quick search on Auto Trader will show you that the low end for available Coupes is $29,500 ('95 w/ 100k+) and the low end for Cabs is $37,500 ('96 w/100k+). This is only one website and a snapshot in time of course, but it does indicate that there's little evidence of pricing difference between C2 body styles.
With all due respect your "quick search" is incorrect. The coupe you reference above is a tiptronic and the cabriolet is a manual. Comparing only 6 speeds and excluding salvage titles, the least expensive 993's are $44,888 for a coupe and $29,900 for the cabriolet (see below). You have to look at both premium and standard listings to get the full picture on Auto Trader.

Bottom line there is a 10-20% price differential between manual NB coupes and cabriolets with coupes selling at a premium. There is plenty of hard data (completed sales) and soft data (poll the RL community here and/or speak to the top 10 resellers in the US) and they will validate this. This has been true 5 years ago, 1 year ago and today. A rising tide raises all prices but the differential remains.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...71961626&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...80495033&Log=0
Old 01-31-2015, 07:54 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I never understand why someone doesn't clean up the vehicle and take some high quality pics when it's time to sell. Could be a difference of $1k. The white one could be nice, but you'd never know it from that ad.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:32 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LPMM
The Midnight Blue one was very nice but ended up being a can of worms... Accident on Carfax, Victory Motorcars involved, and a not so truthful current owner. Too bad really but I prefer stay away from that. The problem with the Aventurine Green is the mileage, the PO put 10 miles on the car in the past 8 years and just had the odometer fixed after realizing it was not working. Nothing fishy and everyone has been helpful/truthful, but I can't say for rue that the mileage reported is the true mileage. Long story short, I am still looking.

Ouch, Victory! A root canal without anesthesia would be a much more enticing and rewarding proposition.

VICTORY that bad huh? Had no idea. Well that's why I bounce it off you guys.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:49 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
With all due respect your "quick search" is incorrect. The coupe you reference above is a tiptronic and the cabriolet is a manual. Comparing only 6 speeds and excluding salvage titles, the least expensive 993's are $44,888 for a coupe and $29,900 for the cabriolet (see below). You have to look at both premium and standard listings to get the full picture on Auto Trader.

Bottom line there is a 10-20% price differential between manual NB coupes and cabriolets with coupes selling at a premium. There is plenty of hard data (completed sales) and soft data (poll the RL community here and/or speak to the top 10 resellers in the US) and they will validate this. This has been true 5 years ago, 1 year ago and today. A rising tide raises all prices but the differential remains.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...71961626&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...80495033&Log=0
Puh-leeze. Just more opinion and no hard data, actual 3rd party independently verifiable sales. And what dealers? Most, if not all, don't post prices.

Just because you say so, doesn't make it so. When does your statement become fact? And the two autotrader postings are just two cars that have not had PPI's or CarFax's pulled.

You're simply dreaming if you think two exact (color, condition, transmission, mileage, etc.) cars, one a Cab and one a Coupe, and the Coupe has a 10-20% premium is simply pure nonsense.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:58 PM
dhrye
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something is up with the white cab. Um, ad says it's an S Type?

If I find a any nice 993 selling under $30k, I'm buying if for no other reason than to making a quick +$5k. They are rarely priced under $38k tip or not...at least I my area.

Someone paid $57k for a cab in Nov and posted it in the 993 pricing thread:

purchase price (in USD please): $57,000
purchase date: Nov 2014
mileage: 57,000
state or country where purchased: SoCal USA
Model year: 1997
C2 or C4: C2
Coupe, targa or cab: Cab
color: Metallic Black
tip or manual: Manual
NA or turbo: NA
Old 02-02-2015, 12:11 AM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RodKnock
Puh-leeze. Just more opinion and no hard data, actual 3rd party independently verifiable sales. And what dealers? Most, if not all, don't post prices.

Just because you say so, doesn't make it so. When does your statement become fact? And the two autotrader postings are just two cars that have not had PPI's or CarFax's pulled.

You're simply dreaming if you think two exact (color, condition, transmission, mileage, etc.) cars, one a Cab and one a Coupe, and the Coupe has a 10-20% premium is simply pure nonsense.
You missed the main point of my post. VA993dreamer used two examples to highlight the [mis]fact that cabs have an equal or higher value than coupes. When called on it, it turns out his coupe example was a tiptronic and his cab example was from the premium listing and not the standard listing. Interesting that you don't comment on that.
I suggest (as I have) that you speak to Wilhoit, Truspeed, Sloan, Top Gear and Marshall Goldman Sales. Ask them their opinion of valuation differences between 993 cabs and coupes....and see what they say. It's not about me it's about the market and you do potential buyers/sellers a disservice when you repeatedly claim an equal value between coupes and cabs.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:18 AM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
You missed the main point of my post. VA993dreamer used two examples to highlight the [mis]fact that cabs have an equal or higher value than coupes. When called on it, it turns out his coupe example was a tiptronic and his cab example was from the premium listing and not the standard listing. Interesting that you don't comment on that.
I suggest (as I have) that you speak to Wilhoit, Truspeed, Sloan, Top Gear and Marshall Goldman Sales. Ask them their opinion of valuation differences between 993 cabs and coupes....and see what they say. It's not about me it's about the market and you do potential buyers/sellers a disservice when you repeatedly claim an equal value between coupes and cabs.
Disservice to the market? Me? I have that much power? Seriously? That's a joke right? I've watched eBay for years and years and my local CL. I don't see it. That's my opinion. I think your opinion is a disservice to the market, because you're not posting actual sales data. And you're giving me/us you're opinion or representation of their opinion. No thank you.

Here's what I suggest to you. Since you already know them all, I suggest you call those dealers and have them post their opinions on the forum. Or better yet, have them post 3rd party independent verifiable sales of similar Coupes and Cabs, same color combo, same mileage, same condition, same options, etc. and let's see if there's roughly a $5,000-$10,000 premium for Coupes.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:42 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Here is one on Phoenix CL. I happen to have met the owner on club drives in the past and I know it's a well sorted car, and it's a 6 speed

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/4865024625.html
Old 02-03-2015, 03:04 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nesposito
Here is one on Phoenix CL. I happen to have met the owner on club drives in the past and I know it's a well sorted car, and it's a 6 speed

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/4865024625.html
THANKS!!!
Old 02-06-2015, 10:32 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Beware Rennsters

I believe this dealer to be a sleazeball.

I have dealer admitting in writing on ebay messaging that.......... "the transmission broke the day the auction ended"

I allege that:

This ploy can be used on any auction....if you don't get the bid you want just say the car suffered a catastrophic failure ironically on the day the auction ended.

VICTORY MOTORS, Texas (lists on ebay).... beware!!!!!!

oh, if I still want the car I can buy it for 4k more than my winning bid

Tangible, irrefutable, sleazeball !!!!!

Last edited by Ridin Dirty; 02-06-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:41 AM
gandalfthegray.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

I think someone was trying to point that out to you earlier in the thread.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gandalfthegray.
I think someone was trying to point that out to you earlier in the thread.
indeed.....apparently they are "known" to Rennsters as definitely a "shady" operation
Old 02-07-2015, 01:39 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Saw this while having my morning coffee. Crazy.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ctd/4879943675.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993 cab valuations?