993 Forum 1995-1998

WTT: 3-Spoke Leather Airbag w/standard crest for silver crest

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 05:40 PM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts
Default WTT: 3-Spoke Leather Airbag w/standard crest for silver crest

Hi all, just thought I would see if anyone out there had a nice, 3-spoke leather airbag w/silver crest and would prefer the standard colored crest. I am converting my interior to all black (finally going to install new carpet and door panels). Most of my accents are silver/alum, so would love to swap airbags (or airbag covers). Mine is PN 996 803 980 01 A28, purchased new from Sunset several years ago (can't believe the new prices). It is in perfect, like new condition. I am looking for PN 996 803 980 03 8YR (exact same airbag but w/silver crest). If anyone is interested or has any suggestions, please let me know. Here are some pics of my airbag. The last pic is the airbag I am looking for. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:41 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just replace the crest. It is a DIY.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:54 PM
pstraub
Pro

Originally Posted by 600RR
Just replace the crest. It is a DIY.
Do you know a source for the silver crest? I have been watching ebay for a cheap vinyl airbag with silver crest that I can use but nothing so far. Thanks for the suggestion, I did see one of your posts earlier on how to remove the crest from the airbag cover.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:19 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

I want to do the same Paul. Seems to be a grey area.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:42 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vorsicht..... somebody is bound to pop up and mention how the metal crest is going smack you in the head when the air bag deploys - never fails!

Old 01-25-2015, 01:20 AM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Paul/Cactus: The pisser is that I bought 4 several years ago online from somewhere in Asia, but have used them. I have been searching for the site but can't find it. Interestingly (to me) I have a half-dozen key crests I got to try and make work that would be perfect for a SW if I could figure out how to do so. They are back-to-back silver crests on each side with a key chain loop at top (which I dremeled off). If you guys behave any ideas on how to split I'll send one to experiment with. As they are, they are too thick for the indent on the airbag. BTW, they are very inexpensive and would probably easily corrode on the exterior, but for a SW would be great.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:21 AM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Paul: I forgot to mention ... nice pix with the Doctor!
Old 01-25-2015, 12:24 PM
pstraub
Pro

Originally Posted by Cactus
I want to do the same Paul. Seems to be a grey area.
Hope you are still coming out for RR-V in September, we can compare notes since our cars have been on somewhat parallel paths for several years now.

Originally Posted by 600RR
Thanks! I am wondering if I can just remove the gold crest from the airbag cover and send it to one of these guys that refinishes the hood crests. That way, they might be able to match my hood crest??

Old 01-25-2015, 12:32 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 246 Posts

Paul, try contacting member intrepidagent - he's a sponsor that refinishes crests to whatever specification you want & may have an airbag crest available or be able to refinish yours. I also remeber a pretty simple DIY for silver plating crests in this forum....

My leather airbag has a silver crest with the red bars, which I think looks great. Believe it was an option on one of the special edition 996's.

BTW - looks as though you added some cow skin to the interior...? Did I miss that thread?
Old 01-25-2015, 12:51 PM
pstraub
Pro

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Paul, try contacting member intrepidagent - he's a sponsor that refinishes crests to whatever specification you want & may have an airbag crest available or be able to refinish yours. I also remeber a pretty simple DIY for silver plating crests in this forum....

My leather airbag has a silver crest with the red bars, which I think looks great. Believe it was an option on one of the special edition 996's.

BTW - looks as though you added some cow skin to the interior...? Did I miss that thread?
Thanks Nick, great suggestion, I was looking at some of his work (intrepidagent) so I will contact him. On the interior, I have been slowly migrating all the cashmere vinyl to black leather. I am ready to finish, just need main door cards and I just ordered a full set of black Sliverknit from Lakewell in Belgium. I have been too lazy to tackle the carpet, but it's time. Hope to see you at RR-V!
Old 01-25-2015, 01:56 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pstraub
Do you know a source for the silver crest? I have been watching ebay for a cheap vinyl airbag with silver crest that I can use but nothing so far. Thanks for the suggestion, I did see one of your posts earlier on how to remove the crest from the airbag cover.
FWIW, I have heard those cheap vinyl airbags you refer to, retail for more than the leather units. Not sure as to the accuracy tho; its just what I've read on the 993 forum...

BTW, I have one of those cheap vinyl airbags with a silver crest, but would be hesitant trading for a sally-ran looking regular color.
Gook luck in your search

Yep! The GREATEST modern day MotoGP rider!!! Cant believe at his age, that he took 2nd in the Championship. Nothing short of amazing!
It will be interesting to see how Mark Marquez's career stacks up over time; as he's certainly not wasting any time.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:06 PM
pstraub
Pro

Originally Posted by nine9six
FWIW, I have heard those cheap vinyl airbags you refer to, retail for more than the leather units. Not sure as to the accuracy tho; its just what I've read on the 993 forum...

BTW, I have one of those cheap vinyl airbags with a silver crest, but would be hesitant trading for a sally-ran looking regular color.
Gook luck in your search
The leather bags are in the $2K range now. BTW, did not mean that vinyl airbags are cheap, I meant that you can find used ones on ebay that are cheaply priced, so if you are just trying to harvest the crest, might be a good way to go. Here is an example.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boxster-911-...6662ef&vxp=mtr Thanks
Old 01-25-2015, 02:31 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

=pstraub;11984764]The leather bags are in the $2K range now. BTW, did not mean that vinyl airbags are cheap, I meant that you can find used ones on ebay that are cheaply priced, so if you are just trying to harvest the crest, might be a good way to go. Here is an example.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boxster-911-...6662ef&vxp=mtr Thanks
pstraub,
I didn't take your statement that way, and your post was spot on. eBay is where I found my cheap vinyl airbag...My thoughts were I didn't need to spend $300 more for a leather AB, when a vinyl one could still save my fanny.

BTW, I used to work with a Joe Traub; any relation?
Old 01-25-2015, 08:36 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Paul the interior is going to look great. I can't wait to eat a large ice cream cone with sprinkles in there next October
Old 01-25-2015, 09:44 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

In 2013 Wheel Dynamics is South El Monte CA had silver airbag crests for $110.00 plus shipping

They also come up on eBay from t9ime to time (the ebay ones are obviou7s knockoffs)

No affiliation other than I paid the $110 for one..

Quick Reply: WTT: 3-Spoke Leather Airbag w/standard crest for silver crest